My Life - A to Z by John Mark Read

My Life - A to Z

by John Mark Read

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bySCRH

John Mark Read, now in his seventies, is a preacher's kid who writes the story of his life.

The fun little biography really does go from “A to Z.”

Chapter 1, “A” for “Anatomy,” is where we learn when and how the author discovered the differences between girls and boys. In Chapter 2, “B” for “Brother,” we learn about the author's only brother who was a “runaway” and sadly, died an early age. In Chapter 3, “C” for “Cars,” we learn how important the automobile has been for the author throughout the years. And so through the alphabet we are taken, all the way to Chapter 26, “Z” for “Zeal,” where the author assures us he has zeal for life, wife, work, and God.

I particularly enjoyed Chapter 5, “E” for “Education,” which includes a brief description of how the author opted to go to Minnesota Bible College in Minneapolis (now Crossroads College in Rochester, Minnesota). Chapter 10, “J” for “Jobs” was fun, especially learning about jobs the author had when working for Grays Campus Drug Store in Dinkytown (near the University of Minnesota and Minnesota Bible College) as a student.

The author deserves a standing ovation for his willingness to tell so many personal stories as he works his way through the alphabet. As stated in the Prologue, the telling of his story “has brought peace to my soul,” and he hopes readers “will be enlightened” as they read it.

Readers of the Christian Church/Church of Christ stream of the Stone-Campbell religious heritage may find themselves having much in common with the author's story. Especially, if they too attended Minnesota Bible College when it was located in Minneapolis.

Due to the overlap of the author's and reviewer's involvement with college and campus drugstore, there is much to which I can relate and appreciate. The story has the power to make one laugh -- or cry. In the end, it has the power to bring happiness and comfort to the reader as it surely has to the author. ( )
  SCRH | Dec 14, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,861,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible