Lucky in the Corner by Carol Anshaw

Lucky in the Corner (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Carol Anshaw

82None146,107 (3.39)2
Member:nivramkoorb
Title:Lucky in the Corner
Authors:Carol Anshaw
Info:Virago Press Ltd (2002), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2

Lucky in the Corner: A Novel by Carol Anshaw (2002)

This is my 2nd Carol Anshaw book and I thought this was great. She is funny and has great insight into family situations. I think she does a great job of dealing with the world of mixed families etc. The world is no longer the traditional family and she does a great job of portraying the world as it is. My one complaint is that she tries to use every possible of character type in the world in the book. Where were the normal people as a backdrop? I fully intend to read all of her books. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Jan 5, 2013 |
I read this book based on Nancy Pearl's recommendation on NPR. I love her enthusiasm when discussing books and find myself catching her excitement. However, I was dissappointed when actually reading this. It had a potentially interesting plotline that never gelled for me and, while plot is not everything, it did not have much else to prop it up such as character development or prose. I would not recommend this book and would not reread it. ( )
  lieslmayerson | Jan 31, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061834070X, Paperback)

Nora and Fern's relationship as mother and daughter is a tumble of love and distrust. To Nora, her daughter is an enigma -- at the same time wonderful and unfindable. Fern sees her mother as treacherous -- for busting up their family to move in with her lover, Jeanne. As their lives become complicated by the arrivals of a skateboarding boyfriend for Fern, a shadowy affair for Nora, a baby in need of a family, and by the failing health of Lucky, their beloved dog, this mother and daughter find their way onto a fresh footing with each other.
"With sharp humor and perception" (O: The Oprah Magazine), Lucky in the Corner shows us the way a family reconfigures itself as unexpected changes come its way -- and how, no matter what shape it takes, it remains a family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:14 -0400)

"Nora and Fern are just like any other mother and daughter - their relationship is tumultuous, marked by brooding silences and curt exchanges. For Nora, Fern is an enigma - incomprehensible, unfindable. Fern has never really forgiven her mother for leaving her marriage to live with her lover, Jeanne. Their story is a contemporary one, in which mothering is a mapless journey and children are left to form themselves in the shadows cast by idiosyncratic parenting." "Here, too, is the reality that perfectly reasonable people will find some way to throw a wrench into the smooth, well-oiled workings of their lives. Nora's relationship with Jeanne has settled into domestic stability, triggering in Nora a familiar restlessness that leads to an affair. When Fern intuits her mother's indiscretion, she looks to the two people she depends on most: her uncle Harold and her best friend, Tracy, who now has the overwhelming task of raising a baby. As Fern begins to take on more of the baby's care herself, she discovers some of the powerful ambiguities of parental love - and starts to find her way back to her own mother."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible