And Then Everything Unraveled by Jennifer…

And Then Everything Unraveled

by Jennifer Sturman

81None147,707 (3.69)4
    How to Be Popular by Meg Cabot (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar writing style and humor

A good mystery for ... maybe 8-11th grade? There's nothing inappropriate in it and the story/character development is pretty good. The open ending suggests a sequel, where we'll get the second half of this story... I hope?
One of the more enjoyable mysteries I've read (says she who isn't a mystery lover). ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book-it was a true gem of a find! If I am not mistaken, I bought it after I got my Kindle. The UK Kindle bookstore was not as large as it is now and the YA pickings were slim (if like me, you are not so keen on paranormal romance). So, I stumbled across this and I am glad I did! In short, Delia Truesdale finds herself uprooted and transplanted to NYC from her native Palo Alto when her mother disappears whilst on an expedition; however, Delia is convinced her mother is well and truly alive and kicking. So, she attempts to seek out the truth amidst a backdrop of her polar opposite aunts; an elite private school featuring well known and loved staples such as 'fast-talking-know-it-all' and 'hot-but-misunderstood-rich guy'; melodramatic clairvoyants; detectives; and a few dodgy hedge fund managers for good measure. Delia was a likeable character and the story read at a consistent pace. It all seemed well planned and therefore it was well executed. I was extremely pleased to read 'To Be Continued' at the end. Therefore, I would rate this a solid 4/5. ( )
  sophilee | Jul 31, 2012 |
This novel marks Sturman's entry into young adult, although at times it is hard to see how Delia Truesdale is less mature than Rachel Benjamin (leaving aside whether that is a compliment to the former or an insult to the later). It's an exciting read from beginning to end, mixing the genres of classic orphan novels with young adult and mystery others. I won't spoil the ending for you. Then again, neither will Sturman. ( )
  jasonlf | Aug 3, 2011 |
The book "And then Everything Unraveled" was a really good book. The main character Delia I the kind of person I always wanted to be. Delia is laid-back, funny with a cool but also messed up family. Her mother, was the owner of a company TrueTech and her mother's side of her family was extremely rich. Her father, unfortunatly is dead. So when her mother goes missing, everyone thinks she is dead. I would be crushed if both of my parents were dead. But Delia knows her mother is way too organized to disappear. But no one believes her so she has to find her by herself. She is sent to New York, to be taken care by her two aunts. One a downtown boho and other one is New York City's Upper East Side's ice queen. I would love to live in New York City, especially in the Upper East Side. The buildings look so elegant and high-class. I can relate this book to the TV show Gossip Girl, which is also in New York City. There was a couple of episodes where Serena was trying to find her father, and was hiring lots of people to help her. In the end, she found her father, but her father turned out to be evil and tried to frame her stepfather for cheating on her mother. I think Serena and Delia have alot in common. They both grew up without a dad, they are super rich because of their mothers, and they both date the most popular guy in school.
I think this book was a teen fiction and mystery mix. When I read the back of the book, it seemed like a mystery but the first 70 pages was like an teen fiction book. But then Delia starts talking about the mystery and that was when the book started to get interesting. Overall, I think this book is good for middle-schoolers because I don't think any elementry students or high school students would find this book interesting. ( )
  skyandstars | Nov 16, 2010 |
This was such a good book. It had just the right amount of teen romance and mystery to keep you glued to the pages. I finished the book in a day.
I really liked the character of Delia. She actually reminded me of myself. She over thinks things and is always worrying about what is going to happen next. I felt bad for her at the beginning of the book because her father had died a few years earlier and then her mom comes up missing and she has to move in with her crazy Aunt Charley, who I loved. She was such a fun character in the book. She was always happy and upbeat and was always eating ice cream. The book takes a big turn when Delia starts to research into her mom's 'death'. Delia knows deep in her heart that she is still alive and she keeps searching, even when her life is in danger.
I really liked Delia and Quinn's relationship in the book as well. Nothing really happened until closer to the end when Delia was almost killed, but the way the author leaves the book at the end I know that something good is going to happen in book 2. ( )
  trishalynn0708 | Jun 17, 2010 |

First there was a disappearance. Then there was a kiss. Then there was a clue. And then. . .
This is a gripping, wryly funny YA mystery with plot twists and intrigue galore!

Delia Truesdale has no idea her life's about to change forever. She's too busy enjoying the California summer. Her internet tycoon mother, T.K. Truesdale, is out of town, and that means Delia can spend all her time at the beach, surfing. That is, until everything unravels.

Her mother suddenly goes missing, and everyone thinks she's dead - except Delia, who knows T.K.'s way too organized to simply disappear. But Delia's still sent to New York to live with her two aunts - a downtown bohemian and an uptown ice queen.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:20 -0400)

Delia's mother is declared dead when her ship disappears on the way to Antarctica, but when Delia arrives in New York to live with an aunt she has never met, she begins trying to figure out what really happened to her mother.

Jennifer Sturman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible