Delta Wedding (Virago Modern Classics) by…

Delta Wedding (Virago Modern Classics) (original 1946; edition 1982)

by Eudora Welty

6741914,200 (3.62)102
Member:Cariola
Title:Delta Wedding (Virago Modern Classics)
Authors:Eudora Welty
Info:Virago Press Ltd (1982), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Virago Modern Classics
Tags:Fiction, 20th Century, American, Virago Modern Classic

Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty (1946)

English (18)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
I only got half way through this before I abandoned it. The writing is beautiful but there are more characters in it than the Old Testament. It certainly sets the scene but I found it hard to know what is going on when you don't really know who to root for. Maybe I was lazy and gave up too quick or maybe it just wasn't for me... ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
Reading Delta Wedding is like attending a family wedding and meeting all your distant relatives for the first time. You have a sense of belonging and, at the same time, a sense of being an outsider. Everyone seems to know everyone so much better than you do and you're rushing to catch up on everyone's story and sort out who is who. This is a relatively short book, but perhaps because she is primarily a short-story writer, Eudora Welty has packed this book so densely with character and detail, you will feel as though you have read a family saga of many hundred pages. The delta is recreated in such detail that you can feel the humid, misty breezes and hear the crickets chirping. The young girls through whose perspective you watch the proceedings are enchanting.

Struggling to keep track of the characters forced me to go back and re-read parts of the book at times, which was, in fact, helpful in discovering important overlooked details. This is a book you can re-read many times always discovering something or someone new. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I felt like I needed to read something of Welty's; so much has been made of her writing. This book paints a vivid picture and has very interesting characters. But I really felt like the story itself dragged. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Re-read, originally read...a long time ago. ( )
  winedrunksea | Mar 28, 2015 |

Eudora Weltyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Binding, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darling, SallyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shute, Samuel A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To JOHN ROBINSON
The nickname of the train was the Yellow Dog.

On the tenth of September 1923 little motherless Laura McRaven travels from Jackson, Mississippi, on a train named the Yellow Dog. She is returning to Shellmound, the family plantation at the heart of the Mississippi delta. There she is swept into the arms of the Fairchilds, her huge collection of entrancing, breathtaking relatives. They have gathered for the marriage of seventeen-year-old Dabney - the prettiest of the Fairchild girls - to a man from the mountains: the overseer Troy Flavin. The ordinary events in the life of this clannish, proud, loving and quarrelling family are wonderfully portrayed as the great day draws nearer and Dabney's perfect moment lights up the lives of cousins and uncles, aunts and great-aunts, young and old.

A vivid and charming portrait of a large southern family, the Fairchilds, who live on a plantation in the Mississippi delta. The story, set in 1923, is exquisitely woven from the ordinary events of family life, centered around the visit of a young relative, Laura McRaven, and the family’s preparations for her cousin Dabney’s wedding.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Young Laura spends an exciting week with her cousins, the Fairchilds, at their estate on the Mississippi Delta in the early 1920s

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,327,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible