Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton

Eaters of the Dead (original 1976; edition 2006)

by Michael Crichton

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Eaters of the Dead
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Avon (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (1976)

English (44)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
I'm naturally familiar with Crichton's science fiction, but I wasn't aware of this book until I stumbled upon it in a second-hand shop. Crichton takes the manuscripts of Ahmad Ibn Fadlan, a muslim diplomat who visited the Volga Bulgars in 920 AD and described their culture in writing that has survived today, and combines it with the Beowulf legend. Instead of simply traveling and observing, he gets swept up in a heroes quest to rid a kingdom plagued by the Wendol, a terrifying group of mist monsters that attack in the night when the fog creeps down from the mountains.

The use of Fadlan's manuscripts to bring it to life works fantastically, and it also offers all the insight into Scandinavian culture that you get from the original Beowulf poem. From a scholarly perspective It would probably be a heinous crime to say that Eaters of the Dead is an improvement over Beowulf, but from an average every-day reader's perspective it's a surprisingly worthwhile book. It's an interesting new take on an old myth, and I think it deserves a bit more attention than it has received since it was published nearly 40 years ago. I'm sure classical purists hate it for not being "true" to the original poem, but if you believe that stories should change and evolve along with the culture that's producing it, then this modern version is definitely for you. ( )
  Ape | Jul 25, 2015 |
Engaging from start to finish. The first three chapters are based on the actual account of Islamic traveler, Ibn Fadlan with the remainder of the tale being a contemporary retelling of the story of Buliwyf (Beowulf). Quite excellent. ( )
  phoenixcomet | May 28, 2015 |
Part based on a real manuscript and part fiction, it tells the events of Beowulf as seen from the view of an outsider. Best of its kind, and the subject matter is very dear to me. Illustrations by Ian Miller are absolutely stunning! Wish I could find it with these illustrations in Hardcover. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Did not finish. Slow and draggy. I may try this again. I usually like Crichton. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
It only took me forever to finish this book but I finally did!
I was surprised I liked because I tried to read his "Congo" and hated it with a passion that curled my toes! I expected the same with this novel. As it was, I enjoyed it. I was explaining the premise of it to someone else and they actually yawned.

I enjoyed the middle chapters more than the last chapters. I had to drag myself through the ending chapters. It was fun for me, in the sense that it reminded me of Lord of the Rings -- adventure :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jan 11, 2014 |

Michael Crichtonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Praise not the day until evening has come; a woman until she is burnt; a sword until it is tried; a maiden until she is married; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk."
- Viking Proverb

"Evil is of old date."
- Arab Proverb
To William Howells
The Ibn Fadlan manuscript represents the earliest known eyewitness account of Viking life and society.
Later reissued as The 13th Warrior

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345354613, Mass Market Paperback)

Michael Crichton takes the listener on a one-thousand-year-old journey in his adventure novel Eaters Of The Dead. This remarkable true story originated from actual journal entries of an Arab man who traveled with a group of Vikings throughout northern Europe. In 922 A.D, Ibn Fadlan, a devout Muslim, left his home in Baghdad on a mission to the King of Saqaliba. During his journey, he meets various groups of "barbarians" who have poor hygiene and gorge themselves on food, alcohol and sex. For Fadlan, his new traveling companions are a far stretch from society in the sophisticated "City of Peace." The conservative and slightly critical man describes the Vikings as "tall as palm trees with florid and ruddy complexions." Fadlan is astonished by their lustful aggression and their apathy towards death. He witnesses everything from group orgies to violent funeral ceremonies. Despite the language and cultural barriers, Ibn Fadlan is welcomed into the clan. The leader of the group, Buliwyf (who can communicate in Latin) takes Fadlan under his wing.

Without warning, the chieftain is ordered to haul his warriors back to Scandinavia to save his people from the "monsters of the mist." Ibn Fadlan follows the clan and must rise to the occasion in the battle of his life.--Gina Kaysen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Now a major motion picture from Touchstone Films, starring Antonio Banderas. In the year A.D. 922, a refined Arab courtier, representative of the powerful Caliph of Baghdad, encounters a party of Viking warriors on their journey to the barbaric North. He is appalled by Viking customs--the wanton sexuality of their pale, angular women, their disregard for cleanliness, their cold-blooded human sacrifices. But only in the depths of the Northland does he learn the horrifying truth: he has been enlisted to combat a terror that comes under cover of night to slaughter the Vikings and devour their flesh.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,101,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible