The Making of the President 1964 by Theodore…

The Making of the President 1964

by Theodore H. White

Having read the latest Robert Caro tome about LBJ, I decided to re-read this book, which I last read in 1976 as part of my research for a graduate paper about Barry Goldwater's use of media in the 1964 campaign. I’d forgotten not just the facts of the battle (one-sided though it was) but also what a great writer Theodore White was and his in-depth knowledge of the national political scene.

How the ultra-right Goldwater was selected as the Republican nominee (based on who well his supporters were organized before the convention, not on electability) was reminiscent of a more recent election cycle. I guess some lessons need to be repeated.

This book was great reading about both Johnson and Goldwater’s campaign, but so much more. Where is Theodore White now that we need him to explain what's going on in Washington? ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 4, 2012 |
828 The Making of the President 1964, by Theodore H. White (read 7 Nov 1965) I found this a good review of the 1964 Presidential campaign--one of the most satisfying campaigns I ever lived through. ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 5, 2010 |
This book is filled with detail and covers all aspects of the 1964 political landscape. Although this book does provide information and is true to its title, I foudn the book to be a tedious and boring read which is why I only gave it two stars. I think you would really need to be interested in the 1964 election to enjoy this book.

In all honesty, I never even finished it. That's how much I didn't enjoy it. ( )
1 vote Angelic55blonde | Apr 28, 2008 |

From the Publisher: Theodore H. White's landmark Making of the President series revolutionized American political journalism, investing his subject with both epic scope and a fresh frankness about backroom political strategy that was unlike anything that had come before. In this second volume of his groundbreaking series, White offers an intimate chronicle of the 1964 campaign for the White House, from the earthshaking tragedy of President Kennedy's assassination through the battle for power between Lyndon B. Johnson and Barry Goldwater, whose candidacy paved the way for the modern conservative movement. White reports from within both campaigns, bringing to life a turbulent year in America's history and a furious contest between two tough and seasoned political pros.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible