Queen of Song and Souls by C. L. Wilson

Queen of Song and Souls

by C. L. Wilson

Series: Tairen Soul (Book 4)

The war with the Eld is unavoidable, rain and Ellysetta must gather all the allies they can. She still carries hurt marks and tries to do as much good as she can while she can. The vision the oracle sent her haunts her every move. Rain is losing his grip on sanity, the bond is not completing and war brings the madness closer. They visit with the Elf King for a eye opening and disturbing premonition. Horrible truths are revealed, many lives will be lost. One pair of lovers has the ultimate ugliness thrust at them.
This was a very dark and pivotal book in the series. I found it sometimes hard to read, still a beautiful weaved tale, it dealt realistically with the darkness that had to be exposed. I loved the Elk kingdom, fantastic. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book was very different than the previous three books in this series. This book was a lot of traveling and the characters discovering new things and setting up for the final battle. This book started in motion many things I think will have major impact on the last book. Also, this book had almost zero naughty bits, which is off for a romance, but I think because there was so much to do and learn it didn't matter that much. Also, sex is probably the last thing you think when you are in a war.

I am still head over heels in love with these characters and am so happy I finally got to this book (the ones I haven't read) finally. I did not enjoy this book as much as the first three, the whole first 3/4ths of the book felt like it dragged for me, I found myself skimming quite often. The drama picks up in the last quarter and I found myself in the familiar dramatic reading position (rocking back and forth with the book as close to my face as I can get it).

The ending is major, I even teared up a little bit. I have come so far with these characters it hurts me when they get hurt. I can't wait to dive into the last story so I can truly find out what happens. I also recommend reading this series in order, they all start almost exactly on each others heels and have very little fill in. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I do not love this author's attitude about women, and this series starts to get genuinely boring in this book--even if it does have characters that turn into giant flying cats. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is the 4th of 5 books in the Tairen Soul series. It's taken me awhile to read this one, but it's not because the book isn't good. The action is pretty much nonstop, and the story continues nicely from the first 3 books. There are a lot of loose ends to tie up, so I'm starting on the last book right away. If you like high fantasy, this is a good series to try. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Mar 27, 2011 |
Queen of Song and Souls is the exciting fourth book in the Tairen Souls series by C.L. Wilson. In my opinion, due to complex world created by C.L. Wilson, this series needs to be read in order starting with Lord of the Fading Lands, thus experiencing this series to it's fullest.

C.L. Wilson elegantly throws us back in the world of Fey in the prologue where the King of Sword and Sky ended. From there we follow Ellysetta and Rain as they travel across the lands trying to create alliances with the Celierians, Elves and Danae, to help fight the war against the evil Mages of Eld. They have come to realize that Vadim Maur and the Mages have been preparing for this war far longer than they suspected. They know the only way they can win this war is to combine the Fey forces with all of the other races against the dark magic of the Eld. But these alliances are tenuous at best, due to the intrigues of politics between the different races. Unfortunately, during this dark time of war, they can’t afford any weaknesses or doubts.

As Ellysetta and Rain travel, self discoveries are made about themselves, questions are answered and new mysteries are revealed. Ellysetta is also plagued by horrible nightmares and the anxiety of baring four mage marks made by evil High Mage Vadim Maur. And Rain tries to hide from Ellysetta that the bonding madness has started and that it is advancing fast because of the fighting on the bloody battlefields. In addition to the tremendous worry of the war, they are both distress from the inability to complete their truemate bond; completing the bond will keep Rain from descending into madness and save Ellysetta and her powers from being controlled by the evil Vadim Maur.

Queen of Song and Souls contains all the elements that makes a perfect and terrific read for me: a complex and creative fantasy world, edged with darkness; a romantically, poignant love story; edge of your seat suspense; and truly evil and vile bad guys. C.L. Wilson combines all of these elements elegantly with her beautiful prose. I honestly don’t have one complaint about this book. Not one. As this series has progressed, each book just keeps getting better than the last.

I experienced such a wide range of emotions reading this book that by the time I was finished with it, I was emotional exhausted, in a good way. While I was reading my emotions ranged from being anxious, angry, happy, a deep sadness, surprised, thoughtful, and worried. In the end, I was left with a strong sense of forbidding. I’m happy to say we get some long awaited answers but new questions take the place of the old ones. All in all, Queen of Song and Souls is going down as my favorite read for this year, hands down.

Queen of Song and Souls is not to be missed, it sets the stage for the next and final book in this series. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the conclusion to Ellysetta and Rain’s story in Tairen Soul this coming year. ( )
1 vote FantasyDreamer | Jul 6, 2010 |

C. L. Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

As the Fey King and his bride finally complete their truemate bond, they must learn to trust each other completely and defeat their most powerful enemy if they are to discover hidden truths about their world.

C. L. Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible