Grandad's Prayers of the Earth by Douglas…

Grandad's Prayers of the Earth (edition 1999)

by Douglas Wood (Author), P. J. Lynch (Illustrator)

Member:uufnn
Title:Grandad's Prayers of the Earth
Authors:Douglas Wood (Author)
Other authors:P. J. Lynch (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (1999), Edition: 1st, 32 pages
Tags:Shelved in R.E. Bldg., T. R.=Teacher's Resource, death nature, Grandfathers, family relationships

Grandad's Prayers of the Earth by Douglas Wood

In this starred review, the "Kirkus" reviewer said, "[Douglas] Wood conveyed a sense of something larger in the world, and gives voice to the human longing to understand." Recommended for ages 6 and up.The gorgeous illustrations are by P. J. Lynch.
  uufnn | Mar 9, 2019 |
Because Grandad has explained how all things in the natural world pray and make a gift to the beauty of life, his grandson is comforted when Grandad dies.
  reassist | Nov 1, 2018 |
A beautiful book about the special relationship between a grandchild and grandparent, the loss of that grandparent, and the process of going on.
  St-Johns-Episcopal | Sep 28, 2018 |
Douglas Wood's "Grandad's Prayers of the Earth," was a beautiful book about a boy's grandfather teaching him about the prayers of the earth. The boy and his grandfather would go walking in the forest and his grandfather would tell him how each piece of nature (trees, rocks, lakes, rivers, flowers, grass) would pray and had their own way of praying. The boys grandfather passes away and he finds a way to unite himself with the outdoors to feel his grandfather's presence. This would be a great story for students if a student has a death in their family. This book may help a student cope or may even help a student find a comforting or consoling way to deal with grief and to help them know they aren't alone. ( )
  eburlette | Sep 5, 2017 |
Grandad's Prayers of the Earth serves as a memoir from the author Douglas Wood about a young boy who goes on walks with is grandpa. His grandpa tells the boy that we aren't the only ones that pray, but the wind, trees, and flowers do as well. This book serves as a thank you to Wood's grandfather. I'd recommend this book to children who ever wonder about prayers, just like Wood did. ( )
  MollyMcConaughey | Mar 17, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076360660X, Hardcover)

A beautiful and moving picture book about the bond between a grandparent and child—and the enduring spirit of love.

"Grandad and I likes to go for walks in the woods together. We didn't walk very far. Or very fast. Or very straight. While we walked, I would ask him questions about things I wasn't sure of. One day, I asked Grandad about prayers.

"'Did you know, boy,' Grandad whispered, 'that trees pray?'"

Grandad is the boy's best friend. Being with him always makes the world seem right. And how vast that world is. A world of tall trees that reach for the clouds and sun and moon and stars—and what else is reaching for heaven but a prayer?

Each time that he and Grandad walk in the woods, the boy listens for the prayers of the earth. And while he isn't always sure he hears them, Grandad's words inspire him to keep listening.

Finally, the boy asks the hardest question of all: "Are our prayers answered, Grandad?"

And, one day, long after Grandad is gone, after many, many prayers, after the boy is grown, he understands Grandad's reply: "Most prayers are not really questions. And if we listen very closely, a prayer is often its own answer."

Douglas Wood, author of OLD TURTLE, has written a wise and moving story for readers of all ages. With paintings by acclaimed artist P. J. Lynch, this beautiful and uplifting picture book just may change your life forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 076360660X, 076364675X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,211,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible