Reünie : een novelle by Fred Uhlman

Reünie : een novelle (original 1971; edition 1987)

by Fred Uhlman, Robert Warmenhoven (Translator), Arthur Koestler

Member:gangleri
Title:Reünie : een novelle
Authors:Fred Uhlman
Other authors:Robert Warmenhoven (Translator), Arthur Koestler
Info:Amsterdam : Meulenhoff; 91 p, 19 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=037208691
Collections:
Tags:Fred Uhlman, Robert Warmenhoven, Arthur Koestler, @others, ↑KB.nl, , ↑DNB↓↓••, ♠♠♥♥♦♦♣♣•, ♥♥language, ♥♥, ♥♥…, ♥♥-X

Reunion by Fred Uhlman (1971)

English (8)  French (4)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (18)
Recensione su:http://wp.me/p3X6aw-cp
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-cp ( )
  Saretta.L | Aug 3, 2013 |
I thought it beautiful, perfectly constructed, and heartbreaking. The final sentence, when we learn of Konradin's fate, made my stomach lurch - horrifying, and yet a vindication of a friendship. Essentially this is a love story, undemonstrative, unsentimentally told. Beautiful. [Aug 1995]

On the face of it, it's a simple tale. The year is 1932, and a friendship forms between classmates Hans Schwartz and the aristocratic Konradin von Hohenfels. Hans is Jewish; Konradin's mother keeps a picture of Hitler on her dresser. Inexorably, the boys' simple world begins to change. Political events test their friendship. What makes this book truly special - apart from Uhlman's unsentimental writing - is the ending, when, many years later and living in America, Hans learns something about his former friend. I can't tell you what that something is without giving away a denouement that you really need to read for yourself; suffice it to say that the first time I read the book, the ending affected me to such an extent that I felt as if I'd been punched in the stomach.

Of the many books that I treasure, this is probably the book that means the most to me. If the world were to end, this is the book I'd read to remind myself of what it means to be human in an often brutal world. [February 2008] ( )
  startingover | Feb 2, 2011 |
Ranks with the best novellas of all time. ( )
  krago | Sep 19, 2010 |
Set mostly before WWII, this story about a Jewish adolescent (who must flee his beloved Germany) and his Stauffenberg-like friend juxtaposes 'heiliges Deutschland' and its 1930's aberration. ( )
  praymont | Jun 28, 2009 |
Arthur Koestler, one of my favorite authors, described this novella as a "minor masterpiece". I would agree and as such it is a perceptive short novel about friendship. However, set in the 1930s in Stuttgart, it is also a tragedy and a story about love. The narrator , Hans Schwarz, is the son of a Jewish doctor and the grandson of a rabbi, and forms an intense friendship with Konradin von Hohefels, the young aristocrat in his class. A year later everything is over . Nothing remarkable between the two adolescents has happened. The two boys were attending high school, one was a Jewish intellectual from the middle class while the other was a young aristocratic gentile. The story is as moving as the friendship is unremarkable, yet it lingers in one's memory. It is a literary miniature that is as moving as books more than twice its size. . ( )
  jwhenderson | Jan 19, 2009 |

Fred Uhlmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Uhlman, Fredmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Warmenhoven, RobertTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castagnone, Maria GiuliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koestler, ArthurIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Per Paul e Millicent Bloomfield
Entrò nella mia vita nel febbraio 1932 per non uscirne più. Da allora è passato più di un quarto di secolo, più di novemila giorni tediosi e senza scopo, che l'assenza della speranza ha reso tutti ugualmente vuoti...
Original title: Reunion

Donated by Mrs J Wheeldon, Headmistress - 2002 (ABB57448). Original English title: Reunion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible