Faeries by Brian Froud

Faeries (original 1978; edition 1978)

by Brian Froud

Member:jillmwo
Title:Faeries
Authors:Brian Froud
Info:New York: Abrams, 1978. ca. 200 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 32 cm.
Tags:fiction, art, fairy tales,

Faeries by Brian Froud (1978)

Recently added byLunaSlashSea, Dragonkitty, amywan71, DReicht, questbird, AnieW, kaonevar, lisan., private library

I think I skimmed this book more than read it when my sister gave it to me when I was a kid, but the illustrations were terrific and I copied a lot of them in the afternoons after school when I first started to draw. I thought I had lost it but found it the other day, battered but still living. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Mar 5, 2013 |
This was not only enchanting, but delightful as well. The illustrations are lovely. The author made it an identification book of sorts, not only defining various sprites, but also including tales from many parts of the British isles of faerie. A lovely and imaginative book. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 26, 2011 |
A good reference book filled with the legends, stories and illustrations about faeries. Beautiful, yet some scary illustrations, with written descriptions that accompany the text. Provides some historical background and connections of where certain faeries originated and what they are called. Caution: nudity
  jesnikula | Nov 27, 2010 |
Putting this in no-fiction because it is a great source on these fantastic creatures & the artwork is wonderful. It's worth buying just to look at the pictures. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
The only reason that I am writing a review about this book is to announce in a public forum just how much this book influenced and inspired me since childhood. I am an artist that has always been drawn to the mythical and fantastical, and Froud stoked my fires at an early age; inspiring me to copy his images and eventually draw my own faeries and mythical creatures. From his art I began to explore not only other artists, but fantasy writers and film makers (his work with Jim Henson on the Dark Crystal, The Labyrinth and the Story Teller Series equally effected me). Hands down one of the most influential artists in my life. This book (along with his lesser known "Gnomes" and "Giants") started it all for me. ( )
  EveWasFramed | Sep 1, 2009 |

Brian Froudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ballantyne, BettyForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larkin, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larkin, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larkin, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The myths and legends about Faerie are many and diverse, and often contradictory. -- From the Preface

'This enchanting book explores the realm of elves, pixies, leprechauns, dryads and other mythical creatures. Nearly 200 extraordinary drawings and full-colour paintings combine to produce a book which has stood the test of time since it was first published.' Kindred Sprit on Faeries. It has been 25 years since Brian Froud and Alan Lee created the delightful, imaginative and surprising Faeries -- a book that quickly became a massive international bestseller and went on to sell more than a million copies worldwide. In celebration of Faeries 25th Anniversary, Pavilion is delighted o publish a special edition featuring eight new pages and 20 new pieces of art by Froud and Lee. The artists have also contributed new introductions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

Text and more than 200 drawings and paintings describe various kinds of elves and fairies found in myths, legends, and literature.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible