Stop Stealing Sheep & Find out How Type…

Stop Stealing Sheep & Find out How Type Works

by Erik Spiekermann, E. M. Ginger

English (8)  Italian (1)  All (9)
An informative if a bit breezy look at graphic design and typopgraphy, written with character and filled with whimsical examples. ( )
  jasonli | Oct 4, 2016 |
I've had a short introduction to typography elsewhere and still found interesting things that were useful in this book. The main problem I had was that the examples provided in my edition (1993) all dealt with fonts available from Adobe. This isn't a bad thing if you're looking to design something on the computer, but I'm more interested in recognizing fonts in various media, rather than designing something myself, so the book was limited for my aspirations. ( )
  aulsmith | Nov 25, 2014 |
Updated from an earlier edition this doesn't offer a huge amount to me but did remind me why I love type design and calligraphy and letterforms, so it gets an extra half star for that itself. It made me want to reach for my calligraphy tools.

Spiekermann looks at typography with a look of love and plays with the forms and offers advice on what to use in a variety of instances. This edition is updated from a previous one with some mention of electronic communication. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 17, 2014 |
A good super basic guide on type. Not what I was looking for, but perfectly serviceable.
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
Spiekermann and Ginger have, essentially, nothing to say. Unfortunately, they spend over 150 pages saying it. The worst of it is that there are all kinds of color photos, headings, etc., so the book is printed on heavy, glossy paper. This is bad because (a) glossy paper is hard to read text on (as ANY designer should know) and (b) both heavy/glossy paper and color inks are expensive. Thus, you must pay $20 for a book that could very easily be condensed into a $1.50 pamphlet.

This book is often touted as an introduction into type because it is basic and easy to access. The problem is that it is too basic. If you know what a serif is, this book is too basic for you. If you know that it is possible to adjust the spacing between letters, words, or lines of type, then this book is way too basic for you--even if you aren't familiar with terms like letterspacing and leading. Get a book that will be a real introduction--if you're going to learn about type, learn enough that it will make a difference. If you want easy access, pick up something by Robin Williams (doesn't matter what--they're all about the same). If you really want to learn something, get Robert Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographic Style. Whatever you do, pass this book up. You could learn more, cheaper, from a high-school yearbook instructor. ( )
  spoko | Nov 14, 2013 |

Erik Spiekermannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ginger, E. M.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0201703394, Paperback)

This classic typography book, first published in 1993, is now updated with brand-new typefaces, fonts, and illustrations. Internationally renowned graphic designer Erik Spiekermann explains in everyday terms what typography is and offers design guidance in choosing type for legibility, meaning, and aesthetic appeal. Stop Stealing Sheep and Find Out How Type Works, 2nd Edition guides the reader through all aspects of typography, from the history and mechanics of type, to training the eye to recognize and choose typefaces. Uncover type's roots and placement within society and learn how to use space and layout to improve overall communication. This elegant guide for readers of all levels is revised and updated to discuss the particular design challenges of type on the Internet. Note: This title was originally announced in the October 2000 Pearson Technology Group catalog.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:48 -0400)

An informative, educational tour through the most basic unit of communication: type. The text includes common sense explanations of what type is, and how to use it to your advantage. It has been updated to include chapters on Web typography and other forms of online text display.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible