Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across…

Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo (1988)

by Eric Hansen

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
Stranger in the Forest (1988) is Eric Hansen's remarkable 5 month trip across Borneo in 1982. The book is something of a minor classic among adventure literature, being both modern in style and reminiscent of a Victorian explorer charting blank spots on the map. Hansen set off into the jungle with almost nothing except good heath, trade goods and the optimism that locals would help him through. Along the way he becomes increasingly native going from one improbable adventure after the next. We learn about the geography, flora and fauna and most of all the fun-loving people, former head-hunting nomadic hunter-gatherers known as the Penan. In 2014, Borneo is a darker story about the destruction of the forest and the Penan people, but Hansen was there just before the palm plantations and dams. He was able to record and celebrate some of the last of the ancient ecosystems and culture of Borneo, the book is a gateway to the world's third largest island as it existed not long ago. ( )
  Stbalbach | Jun 24, 2014 |
This book had been sitting on my bookshelf for a long before I finally picked it up. I read a lot of adventure travel, but am not particularly interested in Borneo. Nevertheless, I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did. From the first chapter on, I couldn't put the book down. By the way, the first chapter has got to be one of the funniest first chapters ever. It hooked me. Mr Hansen captures with vivid splendor the sights, sounds and dangers of traveling in the jungle. It's a book well worth reading about an adventure none of us would want to endure. ( )
  ArtRodrigues | Sep 9, 2011 |
"Stranger in the Forest" tells the story of Hansen's walk across Borneo during the mid-1980's. It is a really fascinating look at a disappearing culture, mixed with tales about the forest itself. It's written in the vein of those British travelogues written by early explorers and makes for a compelling read. ( )
  amerynth | May 20, 2010 |
You don't find many current travel writers heading off to the tropical rain forest of Borneo. I'm still not really sure why Hansen headed there. He seemed to like this place, despite deadly snakes, really inadequate toilet facilities, awful food (he mentions eating rotten fish many times), and scary tribal people. Maybe you gotta be there. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
Simply one of the best books I have ever read.
  drongozone | Aug 15, 2007 |
"Stranger in the Forest is a gracefully written and passionate book that is full of such unexpected delights. It is an account of a strange world made palpable, written with disarming modesty and rare sensitivity."

Eric Hansenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

At once a modern classic of travel literature and a gripping adventure story, Stranger in the Forest provides a rare and intimate look at the vanishing way of life of one of the last surviving groups of rain forest dwellers. Hansen's absorbing, and often chilling, account of his exploits is tempered with the humor and humanity that prompted the Penan to take him into their world and to share their secrets.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:08 -0400)

Eric Hansen was the first westerner ever to walk across the island of Borneo. Completely cut off from the outside world for seven months, he traveled nearly 1,500 miles with small bands of nomadic hunters known as Penan. Beneath the rain forest canopy, they trekked through a hauntingly beautiful jungle where snakes and frogs fly, pigs climb trees, giant carnivorous plants eat mice, and mushrooms glow at night.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible