They Do It with Mirrors by Agatha Christie

They Do It with Mirrors (1952)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (5), Miss Marple: Chronological (14)

English (39)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (45)
Working my way through all of Christie’s Miss Marple books, I hit two fantastic installments in a row, including this. In Murder with Mirrors (or, They Do It With Mirrors) Miss Marple appears before anyone has actually died!

Jane’s friend Ruth asks her to go and visit Ruth’s sister Carrie Louise because she feels sure there is something wrong in her household. Miss Marple takes her intuition seriously and heads to Stonygates, Carrie Louise’s home, where they have set up a foundation to help juvenile offenders escape a life of crime. Jane also meets Carrie Louise’s family: friend and companion Jolly, husband Lewis, daughter Mildred, step sons Alex and Steven and granddaughter Gina with her husband Walter. It isn’t long after arriving that Carrie’s other stepson Christian, on the board for the foundation, arrives unexpectedly – and is promptly murdered. Was he there on foundation business? Was it something to do with Carrie Louise’s health?

There were couple things about this mystery that I really loved. First, Miss Marple is actually part of the story right and is involved from beginning to end. In previous books, I felt like she just showed up toward the end just to “solve” the mystery. Here, she is seeing everything unfold so her deductions gave the reader more. Also, this something of a locked door mystery, which I’m a fan of. Just about everyone has motive, but at the time of the murder they were all listening outside a door as Lewis had a violent confrontation with Edgar Lawson, one of the offenders. It’s possible one or more suspects could have slipped out, but how and why is where the fun begins. I thought the ultimate conclusion was excellent. The culprit made perfect sense – if you were paying attention! ( )
  jshillingford | Sep 18, 2018 |
I think I would have enjoyed this novel a lot more if I didn't already watch the Miss Marple movie for it. I'm a sucker for Helen Hayes and Bette Davis lol. Otherwise, this is typical Agatha Christie where you think one thing but it's really another. I enjoyed the characters a lot in this novel and as always, Miss Marple is the keen old lady with great perception skills. I'm enjoying reading these and seeing the trouble Jane Marple finds herself in and how her character grows from book to book. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
Wealthy school friend Ruth asks Miss Marple to go visit Ruth's sister Carol Anne. Also wealthy and currently married to a man determined to find a cure for criminal behavior in young men, Carol Anne has always been rather dreamy and aloof, yet she is surrounded by people who adore her. At any time there is her housekeeper, granddaughter, two step sons and various troubled young men hanging about the house, all trying to make Carol Anne comfortable and happy, even when Carol Anne's former step son, staying over just one night, winds up dead.
I place this one right in the middle of the pack of Christies. Unusual plot, yet with that beautiful yet callous young woman who seems to worm her way through so many Christies. ( )
  mstrust | Feb 13, 2018 |
An old school friend asks Miss Marple to visit her sister, about whom she's quite worried. When Miss Marple arrives at Stonygates, a country house with a young offenders institution attached, she is thrown into the complicated relationships of an extended family, and it isn't long before a murder is committed. Luckily, Miss Marple is at hand to prevent a possible miscarriage of justice from being carried out.

I agree with one or two other reviewers that the solution was quite easy to spot, especially if one is familiar with the way Agatha Christie's mind works. It is true that she does quite well to throw in false clues and red herrings so that I wavered in my resolution more than once. Not all of the plot line is convincing, but as ever Ms Christie's novels and stories prove a diverting read that exercises those *little grey cells*. ( )
  passion4reading | Dec 29, 2017 |
While I enjoyed this entry in the Miss Marple series, it was just "good" not great as some of Christie's are. Given Miss Marple's oft pronounced maxim of never believe anything anyone says without confirmation, she seemed to take Lewis Serrocold's statements at face value for far too long. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 9, 2017 |

Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McAfee, MaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 2) by Agatha Christie

Starring Miss Marple: A Murder is Announced, The Body in the Library, Murder with Mirrors by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: Murder of Roger Ackroyd, They Do It With Mirrors, Mrs. McGinty's Dead by Agatha Christie

"Zerkal'naia igra". "Ostorozhnyi ubiitsa". "Dvoe protiv inspektora Vesta" by Kristi Agata

Agatha Christie Collection by Agatha Christie

The Blue Geranium / The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side / The Herb of Death / They Do It With Mirrors / The Affair at the Bungalow by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

To Matthew Prichard
Mrs Van Rydock moved a little back from the mirror and sighed.
Issued under the titles: Murder with Mirrors; and They do it with Mirrors

Miss Marple not on
best form as she discovers
cunning murderer.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199901, Mass Market Paperback)

A Gothic mansion, a band of delinquent boys, a squandered family fortune, and a brutal murder. Who can tie all this together? Miss Jane Marple and Agatha Christie.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:23 -0400)

A murder at her friend Carrie's Gothic estate draws Miss Marple to the sprawling mansion, only to learn that the place has been turned into a home for delinquent boys, a development that leaves Carrie's relatives livid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible