They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple S.) by…

They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple S.) (original 1952; edition 2002)

by Agatha Christie

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple S.)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:HarperCollins (2002), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Attic
Tags:fiction, A007

They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie (1952)

English (33)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (39)
Another great Miss Marple mystery. I was up until almost one a.m. because I had to find out who did it! I had my suspicions, but it's so fun to read how Miss Marple figures it all out. She is a favorite heroine--unassuming and easily underestimated but really shrewd, pleasant, and capable. ( )
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
Nice, neat little Miss Marple mystery. Miss Marple is asked by an old friend from her school days to check up on the friend's sister, who is now a remarried widow, living at her estate. Her second husband has turned the estate into an institution for the rehabilitation of juvenile delinquents. But, something odd and sinister seems to lurk, not in the dormitories, but in the manor house itself. When a trustee of the institution is murdered while staying in the house, Miss Marple's detective skills come into play to catch the murderer before he or she strikes again. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Another pearl from Agatha Christie. As is generally the case, much better than the movie, although Joan Hickson does an excellent job as Miss Marple. Highly recommend this book to Agatha Christie fans. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
This is one of Christie's shorter novels at just over 200 pages, but it's tauter than some, and the setting is slightly more unusual - a reform home for young criminals. This is the first Miss Marple novel I have read, and she played a less prominent role than Poirot does, advising on the sidelines but not taking part in the setpiece interview scenes with the cast of suspects as does the Belgian. She is dismissed as a slightly dotty old lady by some of the younger characters, who think she can never have been young ("To youth it seems very odd to think that age was once young and pigtailed and struggled with decimals and English literature."), but naturally she later gains the respect of all. The ending was quite dramatic and unexpected (to me, anyway). One minor point that has struck me in this and a couple of her other novels is the characters in each of them who are dismissive of Italian people in general as liars who are prone to violence, which is a bit odd. ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 11, 2016 |
Miss Marple is visiting a old friend when a murder is committed. Each member of the household (naturally) falls under suspicion. I felt the truth, when finally revealed, a little forced and unlikely but the book was well-written and enjoyable anyway. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Jaskari, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McAfee, MaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Matthew Prichard
Mrs. Van Rydock moved a little back from the mirror and sighed.
Issued under the titles: Murder with Mirrors; and They do it with Mirrors

Inner Flap:

RECOVER HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE

Jane Marple looked up at those words carved over the doorway.
"Isn't that splendid?" the doctor said. "Isn't that just the right note to strike for juvenile delinquents?"
"Like Edgar Lawson?" Miss Marple asked.
"He's been talking to me. I wonder if, perhaps, he isn't a little mad?"
The doctor laughed cheerfully, "We're all mad, dear lady," he said. "That's the secret of existence. We're all a little mad."

Three murders later, Jane Marple recalled the doctor's words. Mania, she knew, goes hand in hand with murder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199901, Mass Market Paperback)

A Gothic mansion, a band of delinquent boys, a squandered family fortune, and a brutal murder. Who can tie all this together? Miss Jane Marple and Agatha Christie.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:23 -0400)

A murder at her friend Carrie's Gothic estate draws Miss Marple to the sprawling mansion, only to learn that the place has been turned into a home for delinquent boys, a development that leaves Carrie's relatives livid.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,401,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible