They do it with mirrors by Agatha Christie

They do it with mirrors (original 1952; edition 1956)

by Agatha Christie

Member:TheoClarke
Title:They do it with mirrors
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:London ; Glasgow : Collins, 1956.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie (1952)

English (26)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
An enjoyable Agatha Christie novel. ( )
  cazfrancis | Apr 10, 2015 |
I listened to this, so once or twice when it seemed to me that things had got out of sync, it might have been me and not being able to flick back, rather than Agatha Christie actually getting it wrong. At more than one point, I felt sure that at least a day had gone by, but maybe that was me.
It's possible I have either read this before or seen it on the TV, but I got the murderer correct. Right at the point the Police appear and Miss Marple says "I think they call it misdirection"; at that point I knew who, but not exactly the how of it. It's set in a large house, part of which is used by the philanthropic owners as an institute for reforming young criminals, there's a complex and somewhat unhealthy family dynamic, with a number of possible suspects for the crime. That, when coupled with a suspected poisoning, causes a long list of suspects. And the list seems to get longer, not shorter, as the murder progresses. As is usual the obvious suspect is not, the truth lies somewhere else and there's a certain amount of water muddying that goes on before it all gets sorted out. The end is slightly unexpected and mildly unsatisfactory, I do prefer the law to get their man. ( )
  Helenliz | Feb 23, 2015 |
Miss Marple is asked to look into trouble at a home for juvenile delinquents, which also involves a wealthy family. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 15, 2014 |
Miss Marple visits an old friend, Carrie Louise, convinced that she is in danger. Then an attempt is made on Carrie Louise's husband's life and her stepson is murdered. Worse still, somebody may be poisoning Carrie Louise herself.

I did find it difficult keeping the characters and their complex family relationships straight in this one. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 9, 2013 |
Alright. She's done much better. None of the characters stand out which is unusual and (what I think goes hand in hand with that) there's no trace of the humour I've come to love in Christie's books. I knew who the murderer was as soon as the murder was committed and that never bothers me but since the characters are so bland there was nothing much left to enjoy. Still very readable but infinitely forgettable too. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskari, LeenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskari, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Matthew Prichard
Mrs. Van Rydock moved a little back from the mirror and sighed.
Issued under the titles: Murder with Mirrors; and They do it with Mirrors

Inner Flap:

RECOVER HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE

Jane Marple looked up at those words carved over the doorway.
"Isn't that splendid?" the doctor said. "Isn't that just the right note to strike for juvenile delinquents?"
"Like Edgar Lawson?" Miss Marple asked.
"He's been talking to me. I wonder if, perhaps, he isn't a little mad?"
The doctor laughed cheerfully, "We're all mad, dear lady," he said. "That's the secret of existence. We're all a little mad."

Three murders later, Jane Marple recalled the doctor's words. Mania, she knew, goes hand in hand with murder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199901, Mass Market Paperback)

A Gothic mansion, a band of delinquent boys, a squandered family fortune, and a brutal murder. Who can tie all this together? Miss Jane Marple and Agatha Christie.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:23 -0400)

A murder at her friend Carrie's Gothic estate draws Miss Marple to the sprawling mansion, only to learn that the place has been turned into a home for delinquent boys, a development that leaves Carrie's relatives livid.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,038,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible