They do it with mirrors by Agatha Christie

They do it with mirrors (original 1952; edition 1956)

by Agatha Christie

Member:TheoClarke
Title:They do it with mirrors
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:London ; Glasgow : Collins, 1956.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie (1952)

Recently added byprivate library, QueenOfCrime, PriyanjanaP

English (24)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Miss Marple is asked to look into trouble at a home for juvenile delinquents, which also involves a wealthy family. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 15, 2014 |
Miss Marple visits an old friend, Carrie Louise, convinced that she is in danger. Then an attempt is made on Carrie Louise's husband's life and her stepson is murdered. Worse still, somebody may be poisoning Carrie Louise herself.

I did find it difficult keeping the characters and their complex family relationships straight in this one. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Dec 9, 2013 |
Alright. She's done much better. None of the characters stand out which is unusual and (what I think goes hand in hand with that) there's no trace of the humour I've come to love in Christie's books. I knew who the murderer was as soon as the murder was committed and that never bothers me but since the characters are so bland there was nothing much left to enjoy. Still very readable but infinitely forgettable too. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
This was so very nearly a perfect score. But I found the fate of the criminal and his accomplice too much of an anticlimax. Having said that, this book was an absolute pleasure to read. The characters are memorable. Miss Jane Marple appears in it a lot. We know something new about her youth, but it's not much to go with. Carrie Louise and Ruth could have been temporary props that weren't significant in Miss Marple's past.

There was a certain fluidity in the narrative that I didn't find in Marple stories till now. The best example of that were when Jane Marple was being introduced to the rambling household of Carrie Louise, and also during the interrogation scenes by Inspector Curry. The interviews were far from rambling themselves. It's curious how Inspector Curry at one instant has respect for Miss Marple, but when she has solved the case, and was beginning her explanations, he immediately thought she was batty. That was the one jarring inexplicable fact of the book.

The character Gina is the one who gives out the usual, obligatory, and much awaited speech about life. Immediately after the speech, she is given a forceful kiss by Alex. The author makes Alex pay dearly by making him the one who realizes the truth about the murder, how the trick was accomplished. Alex I think, died needlessly. His death is barely given the decorum of the limelight. His needless death is glossed over. Nobody really says how or when was he killed.

I was dreading the title of this book; 'They Do It With Mirrors'. There's an Hercule Poirot story that has a similar title and I feared this plot was to be a rehash. Good news; there's no actual mirror in the solution of the case. This book was a joy to read. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Marple stories with impatience. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 18, 2013 |
I couldn't find this book in bookstores, and interlibrary loan laughed at me when I tried to request it. I was thrilled to find a copy at Goodwill in the $.89 bin and in good condition to boot.

I enjoyed the book. It was amusing, interesting, and featured a lot of Miss Marple. Since she doesn't always get to spend too much time in her books, this is notable.

However, this is also the first Agatha Christie in which I've guessed the whodunnit, the motive, and the method long before our heroine. I thought I'd be thrilled when I finally beat Dame Christie, but instead I'm kind of disappointed. ( )
  eldashwood | Apr 17, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskari, LeenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskari, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Matthew Prichard
Mrs. Van Rydock moved a little back from the mirror and sighed.
Issued under the titles: Murder with Mirrors; and They do it with Mirrors

Inner Flap:

RECOVER HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE

Jane Marple looked up at those words carved over the doorway.
"Isn't that splendid?" the doctor said. "Isn't that just the right note to strike for juvenile delinquents?"
"Like Edgar Lawson?" Miss Marple asked.
"He's been talking to me. I wonder if, perhaps, he isn't a little mad?"
The doctor laughed cheerfully, "We're all mad, dear lady," he said. "That's the secret of existence. We're all a little mad."

Three murders later, Jane Marple recalled the doctor's words. Mania, she knew, goes hand in hand with murder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199901, Mass Market Paperback)

A Gothic mansion, a band of delinquent boys, a squandered family fortune, and a brutal murder. Who can tie all this together? Miss Jane Marple and Agatha Christie.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:48 -0400)

A murder at her friend Carrie's Gothic estate draws Miss Marple to the sprawling mansion, only to learn that the place has been turned into a home for delinquent boys, a development that leaves Carrie's relatives livid.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,046,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible