The Fall of the House of Usher and Other…

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales

by Edgar Allan Poe

28-11-2018
Read the first story, The Fall of the House of Usher.
I'm not very impressed by it, probably because it is all gloomy, very short and there's a lot hinted at but most is unspoken.
Not that I need everything spelled out for me, but there's a limit to my willingness to guess and follow hints.

28-11-2018 Read the 2nd story as well:
The second 1001-story I read from this book was a lot better than the first.
Absolutely mysterious, tense with a very unexpected twist at the end. I may get to like Poe after all.

28-11-2018 And the last one that read from this book is done as well:
The third (and last) short story by Poe on the 1001-list. And although the last story was okay (better than the first, not as good as the second), I'm still happy that I'm done with Poe.
The combination of old fashioned English with long, elaborate trains of thought (or speech) about something that has only sideways to do with the matter at hand is too much for me to enjoy.
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I've read two stories from this collection for the 1001 books to read before you die list. The first one "The Purloined Letter" sucked. I DNF because it was so boring and really too much information to get through just to find out how he got his hands on the letter. However, the second story "The Fall of the House of Usher" was more of the Poe writing that I enjoy. It's about a haunted house with a poor man who is going crazy inside it. Ending was strange and left it to the reader's imagination what happened to Usher. ( )
  booklover3258 | May 1, 2018 |
I'd never read Poe before when I bought this book. I usually hate florid writing (basically, anything before the late 19th century) and a quick glance at the prose made me a little worried about whether I would even be able to make sense of it. However, I persevered and now I've finished all the stories and am sad cause I know there's no more to read.

Poe understands horror and suspense to perfection. He also understands a lot of other things which nobody seems to appreciate anymore, IMO.

Some of the more surreal stories in this collection reminded me strongly of Gogol. I'm not really a fan of surreal writing, but many of the other stories - especially the 'futuristic technology' ones - reminded me of some of Conan Doyle's stories, which is some of the highest praise I could give an author.
In particular, I'm indebted to Poe for inspiring Conan Doyles's Sherlock Holmes, one of my favorite literary protagonists of all time. I actually think the Sherlock Holmes stories are better developed than Poe's detective tales, but one can forgive him since he pioneered the detective genre.

My favorite story, by far, was 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym'. I love a good adventure story, and this was an epic that just went on and on and oooon....in a very good way. It also showed how incredibly educated the author was on everything from the breedings habits of sea-birds to handling a ship. I learnt so much about random subjects from this story.

I was going to try to list some of my other favorites, but there are just too many so I'm leaving it at this. ( )
  dorotheabaker | Nov 14, 2013 |
Stories read in this collection: Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Purloined Letter ( )
  nlgeorge | Aug 12, 2012 |

I was completely unfamiliar with Poe's prose before launching into this collection of his complete stories. I must say that I wish I had bought a 'Best Of Poe' rather than a Complete Poe. The sad truth is that a lot of the stories are pretty rubbish. His philosophising about death and aesthetics is dull, his humourous pieces range from self-indulgent to racist (the Dutch being particular targets) and the early romantic horror pieces are suffused with the icky self-loathing that you might get from an author who married his thirteen-year-old cousin and was then habitually unfaithful to her.

It's not all bad. Most of the really famous stories, the ones I had previously heard of, were indeed worth reading - Arthur Gordon Pym (I smiled when I saw the Ge'ez letters familiar to me from Ethiopia), the Dupin stories (though Sherlock Holmes rightly observes that he himself is better), the Fall of the House of Usher, the Cask of Amontillado, and basically everything that Zelazny references in his A Dark Travelling. Two stories I had not heard of that I also enjoyed were the end-of-the-world tale of Eiros and Charmion, and the doppelganger yarn of William Wilson. But Poe wrote an awful lot of rubbish as well, and you can skip it in good conscience. ( )
  nwhyte | Mar 7, 2011 |

Edgar Allan Poeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackmur, R. P.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blackmur, R. P.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, on horseback, through a singularly dreary tract of country, and at length found myself, as the shades of evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of Usher.
This short story collection contains:
  • The balloon-hoax
  • Ms found in a bottle
  • A descent into the maelstrom
  • The murders in the Rue Morgue
  • The tell-tale heart
  • Diddling
  • The man that was used up
  • Narrative of A. Gordon Pym

Please do not combine it with any of the individual stories, or with collections containing different stories.

This short story collection contains:
  • The balloon-hoax
  • Ms found in a bottle
  • A decent into the maelstrom
  • The murders in the Rue Morgue
  • The tell-tale heart
  • Diddling
  • The man that was used up
  • Narrativeof A. Gordon Pym

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451526759, Mass Market Paperback)

The eerie tales of Edgar Allan Poe remain among the most brilliant and influential works in American literature. Some of the celebrated tales contained in this unique volume include: the world's finest two detective stories - "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter"; and three stories sure to make a reader's hair stand on end - "The Cask of Amontillado," "The Tell-Tlae Heart," and "The Masque of the Red Death."

* Includes a New Introduction by Stephen Marlowe, author of The Memoirs of Christopher Columbus and The Lighthouse at the End of the World
* The Signet Classic Edition of The Fall of the House of Usher has over 250,000 copies in print! Course Adoption: High School: Senior High School Literature College: 19th Century American Literature

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:45 -0400)

Presents fifteen short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, including "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Tell-Tale Heart," and "Narrative of A. Gordon Pym,"

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451530314, 0141336595

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible