The Best Early Stories of F. Scott…

The Best Early Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald (Modern Library Classics)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

76None157,385 (3.92)None

I haven't actually read that much Fitzgerald (yet), but a thought that occurred to me--one that I haven't subjected to much analysis but that I'll mention anyway--is that Hemingway and Fitzgerald are sort of a Lennon and McCartney for their era. Paul McCartney can grate on me sometimes. He can be too cutesy--sort of like listening to The Boston Pops. McCartney seems to want to ingratiate. Lennon is darker and has more bite. This is all a bit simplistic of course, but overall McCartney paints prettier, but not necessarily better, pictures. In the end I like some McCartney, but prefer Lennon. I think I feel similarly about Hemingway and Fitzgerald (where Hemingway=Lennon and Fitzgerald=McCartney).
Now I'll probably read more from both authors and decide that's crap. Maybe.

Benediction: Unimpressed
Head and Shoulders: Better, but the ending almost feels like bathos to me. Too quaint or something. Too cute.
The Ice Palace: This is far better than the first two stories.

More reaction to come.

Bernice Bobs Her Hair: Catty. The image of Bernice laughing with two long braids in her hands is fun.
The Offshore Pirate: Again, the ending feels a little cute. It's Paul McCartney again!
May Day: This is the longest story in the collection, and as a result many of the characters feel a bit more fleshed out in this one, which I like. The very end feels a little too obvious for me, but there are some good bits here.
The Jelly-Bean: I like when Fitzgerald writes about place. There's some of that in this story. I also like that the ending isn't too heavy handed. That said, this story isn't that meaty.
The Diamond As Big As the Ritz: This one feels a bit like a sci-fi/fantasy tale.
Winter Dreams: This is another favorite. Does it say something about me (or about Fitzgerald) that my favorites in this collection are The Ice Palace and Winter Dreams?
Absolution: I was ready to dislike this story since the other tale of religion in the collection, Benediction, was nothing special. I ended up liking this one a lot more.

Overall, a mixed bag. There are some good stories and some good parts of stories, definitely, but at times it felt like reading for school, like I had to force myself to get through--a sensation I haven't had in a long, long time. ( )
  tercat | Nov 19, 2013 |

Edited and with an Introduction by Bryant Mangum
Foreword by Roxana Robinson

Benediction • Head and Shoulders • Bernice Bobs Her Hair • The Ice Palace • The Offshore Pirate • May Day • The Jelly Bean • The Diamond as Big as the Ritz • Winter Dreams • Absolution

In the euphoric months before and after the publication of This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald, the flapper’s historian and poet laureate of the Jazz Age, wrote the ten stories that appear in this unique collection. Exploring characters and themes that would appear in his later works, such as The Beautiful and Damned and The Great Gatsby, these early selections are among the very best of Fitzgerald’s many short stories.

This Modern Library Paperback Classic includes notes, an appendix of nonfiction essays by Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald and their contemporaries, and vintage magazine illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:19 -0400)

"In the euphoric months before and after the publication of This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald, the flapper's historian and poet laureate of the Jazz Age, wrote the ten stories that appear in this unique collection. Exploring characters and themes that would appear in his later works, such as The Beautiful and Damned and The Great Gatsby, these early selections are among the very best of Fitzgerald's many short stories. This original volume includes notes, an appendix of essays by Fitzgerald and his contemporaries, and vintage magazine illustrations."--Jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,440,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible