Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary…
Hauling away...

Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat (original 2010; edition 2011)

by the dread pirate David Dosa

Pearls o' Wisdom:Hyperion (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo
How ye liked it:
Pennons:April2011

Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by the scurvy dog David Dosa (2010)

Nought
Hauling away...

I don't usually read this type of book. I heard about Oscar the cat in the news media awhile back and was curious about the story. It gave insight on the bond between humans and animals, how comforting they are to the patient and their family. Even with dementia, the patient may not relate or recognize the family but can relate to the cats at the facility. The Facility physician, as he follows the stories of the families and witnesses Oscar in action, becomes a believer in Oscar's ability to know when a patient is dying. ( )
  Sandraelaine | Sep 23, 2013 |
This book was recommended to me by sister-in-law, Roxanne. She read it at a time in her life when her mother was dying from Alzheimer's disease. I found the extraordinary ability of the cat, Oscar, in detecting when a person is near death and having a calming effect on the person fascinating. Animals are far more in tune with our limitations that we give them credit for. ( )
  berthacummins | May 7, 2013 |
A second book lent to me by my cat loving friend. This is as much about cats, and more about disease (alzheimers and dementia) and death as it is about Oscar. It is a book on how people cope a family member's diagnose. It does comment on the American health system, and how is it letting dementia patients down but I am sure those comments could apply to many other countries.

But it is about caring for people in the last days who are dying of these awful disease and the comfort an cat can give, both to the dying and their families. ( )
  SpicyCat | Jan 20, 2013 |
I picked up this book because I am a cat lover and I believe that some cats have healing qualities. While I was fascinated to read about Oscar's gift of being able to sense impending death and provide comfort to family members of the dying, this book was about so much more than just an extraordinary cat. Written by a doctor who works with Alzheimer and dementia patients, the stories in this book are eye-openers into not only what the patient experiences but more so how family members have to come to terms with the terrible reality of watching a loved one unlearn everything they once knew. It provided me with a deep compassion and new understanding of a disease I knew little about. Dr Dosa also touches on the many difficult decisions that family members encounter throughout the slow onset and subsequent long downward path of these diseases. Death is portrayed gently and lovingly and becomes somewhat a release and relief for the sufferer. I read this book in two sittings. ( )
  leila_summers | Jul 12, 2012 |
Making Rounds with Oscar is a lovely story about a geriatrician working at a nursing home for patients with end stage dementia. Shared with us are the tales of some of his patients and their families lives and how they have been affected by the disease. The nursing home is also home to several cats and other animals that provide comfort and companionship to the patients. Oscar, one of the cats, appears to have the amazing ability to tell when someone is about to die and sits vigil with them during their last moments. It was an uplifting and inspiring read. Be sure to keep a box of tissues near by. ( )
  Narilka | May 25, 2012 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Scribbler's nameRoleType 'o authorWork?How farrr the crew's sailed
David Dosaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, Rayteller o tha talesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Wha most mateys call it
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
To the families and caregivers of dementia patients everywhere
Startin' out
I thought he was just a cat.
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

When Oscar arrived at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Rhode Island he was a cute little cat with attitude. He loved to stretch out in a puddle of sunlight and chase his tail until he was dizzy. Occasionally he consented to a scratch behind the ears, but only when it suited him. In other words, he was a typical cat. Or so it seemed. It wasn't long before Oscar had created something of a stir. Apparently, this ordinary cat possesses an extraordinary gift: he knows instinctively when the end of life is near.… (more!)

Pillage Etomes Audio
219 wanted4 pay4 pay

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.82)

Two editions 'o 'tis book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

Two editions 'o 'tis book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323235, 1401310435

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Making Rounds With Oscar by David Dosa was plundered from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,256 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible