Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary…

Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat (original 2010; edition 2011)

by David Dosa

Member:jndonahue
Title:Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat
Authors:David Dosa
Info:Hyperion (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:April2011

Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa (2010)

Recently added bylynn.bainbridge, private library, drmom62, LiberStudiosus, daisy32, brainx

English (111)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (113)
I don't usually read this type of book. I heard about Oscar the cat in the news media awhile back and was curious about the story. It gave insight on the bond between humans and animals, how comforting they are to the patient and their family. Even with dementia, the patient may not relate or recognize the family but can relate to the cats at the facility. The Facility physician, as he follows the stories of the families and witnesses Oscar in action, becomes a believer in Oscar's ability to know when a patient is dying. ( )
  Sandraelaine | Sep 23, 2013 |
This book was recommended to me by sister-in-law, Roxanne. She read it at a time in her life when her mother was dying from Alzheimer's disease. I found the extraordinary ability of the cat, Oscar, in detecting when a person is near death and having a calming effect on the person fascinating. Animals are far more in tune with our limitations that we give them credit for. ( )
  berthacummins | May 7, 2013 |
A second book lent to me by my cat loving friend. This is as much about cats, and more about disease (alzheimers and dementia) and death as it is about Oscar. It is a book on how people cope a family member's diagnose. It does comment on the American health system, and how is it letting dementia patients down but I am sure those comments could apply to many other countries.

But it is about caring for people in the last days who are dying of these awful disease and the comfort an cat can give, both to the dying and their families. ( )
  SpicyCat | Jan 20, 2013 |
I picked up this book because I am a cat lover and I believe that some cats have healing qualities. While I was fascinated to read about Oscar's gift of being able to sense impending death and provide comfort to family members of the dying, this book was about so much more than just an extraordinary cat. Written by a doctor who works with Alzheimer and dementia patients, the stories in this book are eye-openers into not only what the patient experiences but more so how family members have to come to terms with the terrible reality of watching a loved one unlearn everything they once knew. It provided me with a deep compassion and new understanding of a disease I knew little about. Dr Dosa also touches on the many difficult decisions that family members encounter throughout the slow onset and subsequent long downward path of these diseases. Death is portrayed gently and lovingly and becomes somewhat a release and relief for the sufferer. I read this book in two sittings. ( )
  leila_summers | Jul 12, 2012 |
Making Rounds with Oscar is a lovely story about a geriatrician working at a nursing home for patients with end stage dementia. Shared with us are the tales of some of his patients and their families lives and how they have been affected by the disease. The nursing home is also home to several cats and other animals that provide comfort and companionship to the patients. Oscar, one of the cats, appears to have the amazing ability to tell when someone is about to die and sits vigil with them during their last moments. It was an uplifting and inspiring read. Be sure to keep a box of tissues near by. ( )
  Narilka | May 25, 2012 |
This book, both touching and humorous, isn't just about Oscar. It's about listening and letting go. It's also about the inner workings of a nursing home for Alzheimer's patients, the people who work there, the rhythm of their days, and the six other cats who also call it home, cats who also bring comfort to the dementia patients but do not share Oscar's talents of premonition.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Craig Wilson (Feb 9, 2010)

David Dosaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the families and caregivers of dementia patients everywhere
I thought he was just a cat.

Making Rounds with Oscar is the story of an unusual cat, the patients he serves, their caregivers, and one doctor who learned how to listen. Heartfelt, inspiring, and full of humor and pathos, this book allows readers to take a walk into a world rarely seen from the outside, a world we often misunderstand.

When Oscar arrived at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Rhode Island he was a cute little cat with attitude. He loved to stretch out in a puddle of sunlight and chase his tail until he was dizzy. Occasionally he consented to a scratch behind the ears, but only when it suited him. In other words, he was a typical cat. Or so it seemed. It wasn't long before Oscar had created something of a stir. Apparently, this ordinary cat possesses an extraordinary gift: he knows instinctively when the end of life is near.… (more)

219 wanted4 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

Two editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323235, 1401310435

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Making Rounds With Oscar by David Dosa was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,261,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible