Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to…

Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (1975)

by Stu Campbell

A good introduction to composting for gardeners. It discusses various composting systems, their advantages and disadvantages. Bins and tumblers. How to build a bin, where to locate it. What to put on your pile, what to avoid. How to layer. Drainage and aeration. Bacteria and organisms. How to activate your pile to speed decomposition. What to do with the finished product.

Recommended if you are looking to make good compost for your garden. May disappoint if you are mainly seeking a way to dispose of kitchen wastes without attracting vermin. The author says that “we have no rats around our place.” How many other people can say the same? The compost bins he recommends are not rodent proof. There are no index entries under “rats” or “rodents” or “vermin.” He regards them as non-issues. But compost piles can and do attract vermin.

Indexed, with bibliography. Includes sources for buying composting supplies. ( )
  pjsullivan | May 16, 2015 |
I picked up a couple of books about gardening in the past month, and so far this is my favorite. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
From "Why compost?" to "How to use compost" this is an excellent book for all of those who are new to home composting as I am. I planted a new garden and wanted it to be a organic as possible. This book helped me get started. Thank you. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | May 21, 2011 |
Regardless of how old the book is, the information about compost is timeless. ( )
  Sundownr | Jan 10, 2011 |
I am not much of a gardener but this book got me out in our compost heap turning things over and mixing things. Campbell presents a practical spectrum of composting activities - to start with, one can just pile up a bunch of organic material, and eventually it will decompose. At the other end, one can send samples to soil labs and get C/N, NPK, and pH measured, to get fast decomposition to a ideal compost product. In between, one can watch how water and air get into the pile, and how heat dissipates.

Probably my biggest practical take-away is that I should occasionally add some manure to the pile.

But the book got me out there with the pitch fork and looking at the leaves, branches, clippings, and peels that we have & experimenting with how the mix . Maybe I can help the process work better - step one is just to get involved! ( )
  kukulaj | Jul 6, 2010 |
"One aker well compast, is worth akers three..." - Tusser (1557)
"Now I am terrified at the Earth, it is that calm and patient,/ It grows such sweet things out of such corruptions,/ It turns harmless and stainless on its axis, with such/ endless succession of diseased corpses,/ It distills exquisite winds out of such infused fetor,/ It gives such divine materials to men, and accepts such/ leavings from them at last." - Walt Whitman, "This Compost"
To Gregory - May he, like his father, have the chance to pursue what interests him most.
Somewhere, thousands and thousands of years ago, some hairy and slouched cave dwellers who groveled in the dirt with sticks and who managed to grow some food may have discovered that seeds grew better near the place where they piled the apparently useless refuse from their cave.

In 1975, Let it Rot! helped start the composting movement and taught gardeners everywhere how to recycle waste to create soil-nourishing compost. Contains advice for starting and maintaining a composting system, building bins, and using compost. Third Edition. 318,000 copies in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Shows how to recycle waste materials to create compost, discusses the uses of compost and equipment used, and includes instructions for building compost containers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,679,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible