Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to…

Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (1975)

by Stu Campbell

Recently added bylanarkmg, TheBaseBk, MrsKessler, private library, ccamp, PEDC, TRVSlibrary, ReadyMcBookerson, Fabissan

From "Why compost?" to "How to use compost" this is an excellent book for all of those who are new to home composting as I am. I planted a new garden and wanted it to be a organic as possible. This book helped me get started. Thank you. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | May 21, 2011 |
Regardless of how old the book is, the information about compost is timeless. ( )
  Sundownr | Jan 10, 2011 |
I am not much of a gardener but this book got me out in our compost heap turning things over and mixing things. Campbell presents a practical spectrum of composting activities - to start with, one can just pile up a bunch of organic material, and eventually it will decompose. At the other end, one can send samples to soil labs and get C/N, NPK, and pH measured, to get fast decomposition to a ideal compost product. In between, one can watch how water and air get into the pile, and how heat dissipates.

Probably my biggest practical take-away is that I should occasionally add some manure to the pile.

But the book got me out there with the pitch fork and looking at the leaves, branches, clippings, and peels that we have & experimenting with how the mix . Maybe I can help the process work better - step one is just to get involved! ( )
  kukulaj | Jul 6, 2010 |
I am currently using the methods that Mr. Campbell discusses in his book. Both hot and cold composting. If you want to compost to save land fills or to use in gardening, this book is for you.
Easy read and enjoyable. ( )
  bertdinkins | Nov 20, 2009 |
I really enjoyed the balance of experiential information and scientific/technical information in this book. There is a lot of information, but not an overload. It left me feeling like I had a pretty good overview of the subject, but it will also be very easy to use as a reference book in the future. I would have liked a few color pictures, but hey--with such good information at hand, I'm not going to complain about aesthetics. ( )
  melopher | Sep 30, 2009 |
"One aker well compast, is worth akers three..." - Tusser (1557)
"Now I am terrified at the Earth, it is that calm and patient,/ It grows such sweet things out of such corruptions,/ It turns harmless and stainless on its axis, with such/ endless succession of diseased corpses,/ It distills exquisite winds out of such infused fetor,/ It gives such divine materials to men, and accepts such/ leavings from them at last." - Walt Whitman, "This Compost"
To Gregory - May he, like his father, have the chance to pursue what interests him most.
Somewhere, thousands and thousands of years ago, some hairy and slouched cave dwellers who groveled in the dirt with sticks and who managed to grow some food may have discovered that seeds grew better near the place where they piled the apparently useless refuse from their cave.

In 1975, Let it Rot! helped start the composting movement and taught gardeners everywhere how to recycle waste to create soil-nourishing compost. Contains advice for starting and maintaining a composting system, building bins, and using compost. Third Edition. 318,000 copies in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:12 -0400)

Shows how to recycle waste materials to create compost, discusses the uses of compost and equipment used, and includes instructions for building compost containers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,616,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible