Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to…

Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (1975)

by Stu Campbell

This is a book for people with a _lot_ of composting to do, not people like me who are just getting rid of kitchen scraps in a "Green Machine". it has some tips on gardening and how to use one's compost, which may come in handy in another few years when I have enough compost to make it worth my time to try to spread it on the garden or even the yard. My compost, which was inoculated with horse manure this spring is breaking down surprisingly well, even though it certainly doesn't have the volume to heat up like some composts due. The author advises paying attention to the pH of soil and compost. This is no doubt a good plan, but he does not give any attention to means, other than taking a sample and sending it to university extension, to do so.

The illustrations in the book were intended to be humorous; not surprisingly therefore, a few were sexist.

The book has a few tables and charts of information that is close to useless to me whereas its list of various types of compostables and their C/N ratios was just buried in the text.

It had a fair amount of helpful information about the organisms that inhabit your compost. It has a brief chapter on the history of composting and also a somewhat helpful chapter on constructing compost heaps and bins. ( )
  themulhern | Sep 17, 2016 |
A good introduction to composting for gardeners. It discusses various composting systems, their advantages and disadvantages. Bins and tumblers. How to build a bin, where to locate it. What to put on your pile, what to avoid. How to layer. Drainage and aeration. Bacteria and organisms. How to activate your pile to speed decomposition. What to do with the finished product.

Recommended if you are looking to make good compost for your garden. May disappoint if you are mainly seeking a way to dispose of kitchen wastes without attracting vermin. The author says that “we have no rats around our place.” How many other people can say the same? The compost bins he recommends are not rodent proof. There are no index entries under “rats” or “rodents” or “vermin.” He regards them as non-issues. But compost piles can and do attract vermin.

Indexed, with bibliography. Includes sources for buying composting supplies. ( )
  pjsullivan | May 16, 2015 |
I picked up a couple of books about gardening in the past month, and so far this is my favorite. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
From "Why compost?" to "How to use compost" this is an excellent book for all of those who are new to home composting as I am. I planted a new garden and wanted it to be a organic as possible. This book helped me get started. Thank you. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | May 21, 2011 |
Regardless of how old the book is, the information about compost is timeless. ( )
  Sundownr | Jan 10, 2011 |
"One aker well compast, is worth akers three..." - Tusser (1557)
"Now I am terrified at the Earth, it is that calm and patient,/ It grows such sweet things out of such corruptions,/ It turns harmless and stainless on its axis, with such/ endless succession of diseased corpses,/ It distills exquisite winds out of such infused fetor,/ It gives such divine materials to men, and accepts such/ leavings from them at last." - Walt Whitman, "This Compost"
To Gregory - May he, like his father, have the chance to pursue what interests him most.
Somewhere, thousands and thousands of years ago, some hairy and slouched cave dwellers who groveled in the dirt with sticks and who managed to grow some food may have discovered that seeds grew better near the place where they piled the apparently useless refuse from their cave.

In 1975, Let it Rot! helped start the composting movement and taught gardeners everywhere how to recycle waste to create soil-nourishing compost. Contains advice for starting and maintaining a composting system, building bins, and using compost. Third Edition. 318,000 copies in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Shows how to recycle waste materials to create compost, discusses the uses of compost and equipment used, and includes instructions for building compost containers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,183,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible