On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony

On a Pale Horse

by Piers Anthony

Series: Incarnations of Immortality (1)

Mort by Terry Pratchett (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Similar theme (Death takes on an apprentice): very funny, and not a bad place to enter Pratchett's Discworld series, if you've never encountered it before.

English (63)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
it was interesting. After reading Perdido Street Station the story seemed simpler in style and plot. But the plot was interesting and a quick read. I would read more books in this series. ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |
Not as good as I remember - and I am now a couple of decades of feminism down the line so there are a few things that made me roll my eyes. Still, once I put my urge to red pen to the side, I enjoyed it for old times' sake. ( )
  Journeymouse | Sep 12, 2014 |
  Journeymouse | Sep 12, 2014 |
  Journeymouse | Sep 11, 2014 |
Piers Anthony makes a very interesting world mixed with modern technology mixed with cliché magic. The world has both cars and magic carpets, which at first seemed weird, but eventually I really enjoyed it. The beginning seemed to want to make a balance between the two, but as the book goes on it utilizes the magic system predominately. Death is very humanized in this book and I could see this as a TV show of death collecting souls. While the book itself may not be perfect, the idea of a compassionate Death and the interactions between him and the other Incarnations was really good. I listened to the audio book and George Guidall did a good job narrating. ( )
  renbedell | Aug 13, 2014 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Death," the proprietor said clearly, showing the stone.

The Man Who Murdered Death

Shooting Death was a mistake, as Zane soon discovered.
For the man who killed the Incarnation of Death was immediately forced to assume the vacant position!
Thereafter, he must speed over the world, riding his pale horse, and ending the lives of others.

Zane was forced to accept his unwelcome task, despite the rules that seemed woefully unfair. But then he found himself being drawn into an evil plot of Satan. Already the Prince of Evil was forging a trap in which Zane must act to destroy Luna, the woman he loved.

He could see only one possible way to defeat the Father of LIes. It was unthinkable - but he had no other solution!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345338588, Mass Market Paperback)

When Zane shot Death, he learned, too late, that he would have to assume his place, speeding over the world riding his pale horse, and ending the lives of others. Sooner than he would have thought possible, Zane found himself being drawn to Satan's plot. Already the Prince of Evil was forging a trap in which Zane must act to destroy Luna, the woman he loved...unless he could discover the only way out....
The first novel of the INCARNATIONS OF IMMORATLITY series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:00 -0400)

Zane belongs to a world in which the scientific revolution has been followed by the revolution of magic, and he is thrust into the role of Death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,338,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible