Miguel Street by V. S. Naipaul

Miguel Street (1959)

by V. S. Naipaul

Recently added byprivate library, vrullan, MaltanKirjasto, mobill76, blacherez

English (4)  Dutch (3)  All languages (7)
It's unique--and unique in Naipaul's work, of which I've read a dozen, my favorites including House for Mr Biswas, The Loss of El Dorado, and Among the Believers. Used to teach Miguel street in community college Freshman English--maybe fifteen years, often twice a year. It never got old to me. My "teaching" was largely aloudreading, including my class who were fearful of the accent. Once in awhile a student had been there, would try to recreate some. I find it a comic achievement of the highest order, rather like (and unlike) Faulkner's As I LAy Dying. Man-Man's dog is a wonderful creation, roughly equal to Shakespeare's Crab, the clown's dog in Two Gentlemen of Verona.
I wonder if a film of it is even possible, maybe by a Brazilian film-maker? The humor would be tough to represent visually. The dog-do on the bar, funny to hear, would not be so funny to see. The brand-new truck "repaired" by the compulsive tinkerer--lovely. I would use the book as the first of five in my course, others including a Shakespeare play, a poetry collection, and a memoir or non-fiction. It really got the class off to a great start. Of course, Naipaul grew into a bit of a zero--dissing women authors, whoring, etc. But if we can forgive politicians, why not geniuses? ( )
  AlanWPowers | May 8, 2012 |
One of Naipaul's early works; it gave me a sense of place within a poor Trinidadian neighborhood, and the various inhabitants and interactions. There tends to be a dark, futility to their lives, but I found some humor too. I enjoyed this book for its clarity, its characters, and its poignancy. ( )
  HankIII | Jul 26, 2010 |
An early novel from V.S. Naipaul - the streets of Trinidad seen throught he eyes of a young boy. ( )
  zenosbooks | Feb 25, 2009 |

“A stranger could drive through Miguel Street and just say ‘Slum!’ because he could see no more.” But to its residents this derelict corner of Trinidad’s capital is a complete world, where everybody is quite different from everybody else. There’s Popo the carpenter, who neglects his livelihood to build “the thing without a name.” There’s Man-man, who goes from running for public office to staging his own crucifixion, and the dreaded Big Foot, the bully with glass tear ducts. There’s the lovely Mrs. Hereira, in thrall to her monstrous husband. In this tender, funny early novel, V. S. Naipaul renders their lives (and the legends their neighbors construct around them) with Dickensian verve and Chekhovian compassion.
Set during World War II and narrated by an unnamed–but precociously observant–neighborhood boy, Miguel Street is a work of mercurial mood shifts, by turns sweetly melancholy and anarchically funny. It overflows with life on every page.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:26 -0400)

Teeming with idiosyncratic characters who live in and around Miguel Street, it evokes 'living theatre' through its detailed observations of these inhabitants, their exploits and their fruitless ambitions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,509,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible