Perelandra by C. S. Lewis

Perelandra (original 1943; edition 2005)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Perelandra
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins Entertainment (2005), Paperback, 288 pages

Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (1943)

Title: Perelandra
Series: Space Trilogy #2
Author: C.S. Lewis
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 322
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Ransom is sent to Venus. There he meets the mother of Venus. She is unfallen and most ideas are new to her even while she is wise. It turns out that Weston has been sent to Venus as well, to be the updated snake in the garden. He is possessed by a malevolent evil, a servant of the broken Oyarsa of Earth.

It is a fight for the future of a whole new race and the continuation of the war for Earth.

My Thoughts:

Sadly, while I liked the Ideas presented here, Lewis does a LOT of sight seeing and I hate sight seeing. I hate traveling too. So this didn't work for me on so many levels. I had slight disagreements on some of the theology, but nothing that would make me dislike this book. It was just boring.

It has been just over 10 years since I last read this and you know what? My review from '06 is more than adequate. I wish I had a more words, but I pretty much used up my story of this trilogy when I wrote my review for Out of the Silent Planet.

If you are interested in wondering what a Post-Christ's Sacrifice universe might be like, this book definitely speculates and gives you a foundation from which to ask your own questions.

I don't know whether to recommend this book or not. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | May 25, 2017 |
The eldila send Elwin Ransom on a mission to Perelandra, what we call Venus, to prevent a second Eve from succumbing to temptation and a second Fall.

Starting from the prosaic, we move surely but steadily through the wonders of a new world to the struggle against Professor Weston (the Satan figure) to the mythic splendour of the finale, with lots to ponder on the way. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 25, 2017 |
The second of thee volume theodicy work
  brendanus | Jun 18, 2016 |
Good enough of a sequel. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Fecha de lectura aproximada. Sólo recuerdo el mes y el año, no el día. ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craft, KunikoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kannosto, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symancyk, BernardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Some Ladies at Wantage
As I left the railway station at Worchester and set out on the three-mile walk to Ransom's cottage, I reflected that no one on that platform could possibly guess the truth about the man I was going to visit.
Also known as Voyage to Venus

The story of the fall of man philosophically retold as a space adventure. An amazing allegorical work by one of England's most well-known authors.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074323491X, Paperback)

The second book in C. S. Lewis's acclaimed Space Trilogy, which also includes Out of the Silent Planet and That Hideous Strength, Perelandra continues the adventures of the extraordinary Dr. Ransom. Pitted against the most destructive of human weaknesses, temptation, the great man must battle evil on a new planet -- Perelandra -- when it is invaded by a dark force. Will Perelandra succumb to this malevolent being, who strives to create a new world order and who must destroy an old and beautiful civilization to do so? Or will it throw off the yoke of corruption and achieve a spiritual perfection as yet unknown to man? The outcome of Dr. Ransom's mighty struggle alone will determine the fate of this peace-loving planet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:27 -0400)

Dr. Ransom is recruited by the denizens of Malacandra, befriended in Out of the Silent Planet, to rescue the edenic planet Perelandra and its peace-loving populace from a terrible threat: a malevolent being from another world who strives to create a new world order, and who must destroy an old and beautiful civilization to do so.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,044,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible