The Spire by William Golding

The Spire (original 1964; edition 2002)

by William Golding

7741311,926 (3.57)1 / 55
Member:booklove2
Title:The Spire
Authors:William Golding
Info:Mariner Books (2002), Paperback, 228 pages
Rating:***
Tags:England, religion, obsession, cathedrals

The Spire by William Golding (1964)

The Boy with a Cart by Christopher Fry (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books are about the obsessional building of a cathedral.
    The Master Builder by Henrik Ibsen (KayCliff)
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (KayCliff)

It's so nice to read a book by a writer who really knows what he's doing and is prepared to take the time to get every sentence right. This novel works in so many ways and on so many levels. There's also some lovely rhetoric.

Even Golding's flaws play well here. Let's be honest: characterisation and dialogue are not his strong suits.

The weak characterisation is ok because everything takes place inside Jocelin's head, a man so self-obsessed he seems to think he's God. His character is in many ways the character of the book, about which there is something quite remote and inhuman. The dialogue doesn't always sound like real speech, and the lack of attribution in places means you cannot know who is speaking, distancing you from the story.

There is nothing technically wrong with the last third of the novel, but it was not to my taste so I have knocked off a star. ( )
  Lukerik | Sep 25, 2016 |
I carried around an old paperback of this when I was a teenager, probably owing to having read The Lord of the Flies and wanting to read more by this guy. I remember reading the first few pages many times, but I never finished it. This is a stream-of-consciousness narration that is obsessive, symbolic, and unrelenting. Don't think I was up to it at the time.

After a trip to Salisbury a few years ago, I heard that Golding used to live near the cathedral and that this inspired this book. When I saw it on Audible, with Benedict Cumberbatch reading, I decided this was my opportunity to tackle it once more. Loved listening to it (Cumberbatch does a wonderful job of interpreting the character), though I admit my mind wandered in places. There is some great writing here, and a powerful psychological study of ambition paired with religious justification and sexual frustration. Haunting. I will look at the Salisbury cathedral differently upon my return (and I WILL get back there someday)... ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
3½/5 ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
Jocelyn is the Dean of a cathedral, put their via nepotism rather than ability. His sense of self-importance, combined with his semi-delusional piety causes him to order the erection of a 404 foot spire. But the master builder informs him that this is impossible because the cathedral has no foundations. He sees with his own eyes that this is the case, but nevertheless he forces through his vision, even though lives are lost and the entire cathedral is put at risk. As the battles between his will and the master builder's escalate, along with the swaying and crumbling of the spire, the Dean declines both into madness and terminal tuberculosis.

This novel is by far not the easiest one to get into, because it is told from the point of view of the Dean, a man who is so self obsessed, so deluded, and eventually so insane, that reading the book is like peering through a triple fog. But in a sense that enhances the drama: will this spire actually be built? What is the nature of the more prosaic relationships of the staff within the Cathedral? And who actually is the Dean, deep down? These questions and more are motivation enough to keep reading. But more than this Golding conjures up an incredibly realistic mediaeval world, and very deftly highlights how superstition and religion can so easily be connected to insanity.

At the heart of the novel is a battle between religious conviction and practical rational engineering concerns, with no clear winner by the end.

It is told using an incredibly unreliable witness, who sometimes indulges in long streams of consciousness. The language at times is poetic and beautiful, but at the same time chilling. For instance, the idea of a building singing is striking, especially when you realise that the song is a song of impending destruction.

Even if The Spire is a lot of work to read carefully, the uniqueness of the style and content makes it very much worth the effort. ( )
  RachDan | Jun 25, 2015 |
Above a medieval cathedral, a spire is rising. The spire is the brainchild of the cathedral's Dean Jocelin, who saw it in a vision as representing the pinnacle of prayer. But he wants it built higher than anyone has ever heard of building, and the master builder is worried that the cathedral's foundations won't hold it. Other members of the cathedral chapter oppose the cost, the disruption, and the builders' bad behaviour within the church and in the town. But Jocelin ignores them all and orders the master builder to continue. As the spire rises, Jocelin's obsession grows - and when a couple of events make him question his judgement and faith, obsession begins to tip into madness.

Although told in the third person, there is something of the unreliable narrator about this book, as we follow Jocelin throughout - piecing the true story together from the occasional thought that he immediately tries to shut out, or the things that others say to him. The book starts in the joy of realising his vision and becomes increasingly intense and claustrophobic. We see the cathedral building almost as a living creature, as it grows the spire and as the pillars groan under the weight - and we also see glimpses of life outside the cloister, in the town.

There are hints that the building of the cathedral is bringing a sort of modernity to the town, which made me wonder if as well as being about pride and hubris, it was also about other kinds of change - the book is so expressionistic that you can see all sorts of metaphors in it. There are moments of real beauty and real horror, all seen through the darkened glass of Jocelin's mind. In particular, as his madness grows he increasingly finds peace by going to the top of the tower, and the descriptions of him looking down over the countryside around him, never before seen from this angle, are wonderful.

His cheek was hard against the pinnacle and he knew he had not moved. But a sixth counter had appeared, had slid into view with another square of board under it. He knew he had not moved; but he knew that the tower had moved, gently, soundlessly up here, though down there the pillars might have cried - eeee - at the movement. Time after time, he watched the white counter slide into view, then disappear again; and he knew that the tower was swaying under him like a tall tree. Slowly he turned his eyes away and looked at the charcoal and drying puddles. I mustn't scream, or run, he thought. That would be unworthy of the vision. ( )
4 vote wandering_star | Jul 19, 2014 |

William Goldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cumberbatch, BenedictReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For

JUDY
He was laughing, chin up, and shaking his head.

The vision that drives Dean Jocelin to construct an immense new spire above his cathedral tests the limits of all who surround him. The foundationless stone pillars shriek and the earth beneath them heaves under the structure's weight as the Dean's will weighs down his collapsing faith. Meanwhile, the towering spire casts a shadow of dread on all those who behold it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:56 -0400)

Dean Jocelin has a vision: that God has chosen him to erect a great spire on his cathedral. His mason anxiously advises against it, for the old cathedral was built without foundations. Nevertheless, the spire rises octagon upon octagon, pinnacle by pinnacle, until the stone pillars shriek and the ground beneath it swims. Its shadow falls ever darker on the world below, and on Dean Jocelin in particular. From the Nobel Prize-winning author of Lord of the Flies, The Spire is a dark and powerful portrait of one man's will, and the folly that he creates.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,824,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible