Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a…

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal,…

by Jen Lancaster

English (81)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All (83)
I had a great time reading this book. Jen Lancaster's books are always a fun adventure. Some nice, light reading. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
Hilarious! Jen Lancaster is a riot. Its like reading Chelsae Handler without all the raunch :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 26, 2016 |
I actually listened to this one, and found it very amusing. However, I discovered that a little sarcastic and sardonic wit goes a long way. I would rather have a drink with the author than read another of hers. To write a book, let alone a number of them, where the author is the main character borders on the narcissistic.

I didn't dislike it, but I can't recommend it. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Loved it, loved it! Jen and her boyfriend Fletch are living high in Chicago; luxury apartment, designer clothes, fabulous social life, and then the bottom falls out. They both get laid off from their high-paying jobs. This memoir is all about what happens when you can't afford your old life anymore and you can't find a new job. Although there is an underlying ache of pathos in her stories she is hysterically funny. When she and Fletch decide to tie the knot they plan a fairly low-key affair in a Las Vegas hotel. Unfortunately that same hotel has booked an "adult film industry" convention for the same time frame. But, I think my favorite story was a now-overweight Jen picking up a Chicago marathon info kit (for a friend) at the convention center in the midst of thousands of spandex-clad hard bodies shooting her unbelieving glances and making rude comments. When a particularly thin young lady snarks "I thought this was a fitness fair, not Lane Bryant" Jen informs her that if they ever were to crash land in the Andes the thin ones would be happy to have Jen there as "all this extra fat would make me absolutely delicious!"
If you want 400 pages of laughs this is definitely the book for you! ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
I'm so glad I read Jeneration X first, because Lancaster isn't very likable at the beginning of her first book. She's all about style, shoes, having the most money, and buying anything she wants - even if it's a couch that can't be sat on. That being said, she never acts like an entitled bitch - she works 60 hours a week for her money. Thankfully, she still has her sarcasm and sense of humor, so the beginning is easy to read, even if you don't really care about Jen as a person. (Who gets married just for the money? Ok, probably a lot of people.) In the second half of the book, Jen is searching for a job after being laid off with no reason. She still wants to have a lot of money, and still buys new sweater sets and shoes, despite having to take that money out of her savings account. Still, she's becoming a better person - volunteering, fostering dogs, searching diligently for a job while ashamed of being on unemployment, emotionally supporting her husband. She undergoes a massive change when she realizes she never should have been living so materialistically in her past. She begins writing and realizes that she doesn't want to go back to working her ass off at an office for money, because she wants to truly enjoy life. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
"First she was a seed, and then she was trouble." --Todd Lancaster, December 25, 1970

"I do much better as a goddess, she said, since my secretarial skills have always been limited." --Bryan Andreas, in Trusting Soul
"Camille said you stole a bag from a homeless guy."
Funny how I can never do math unless it directly impacts my own pocketbook.

Jen Lancaster was living the sweet life-until real life kicked her to the curb.

She had the perfect man, the perfect job-hell, she had the perfect life-and there was no reason to think it wouldn't last. Or maybe there was, but Jen Lancaster was too busy being manicured, pedicured, highlighted, and generally adored to notice.

This is the smart-mouthed, soul-searching story of a woman trying to figure out what happens next when she's gone from six figures to unemployment checks and she stops to reconsider some of the less-than-rosy attitudes and values she thought she'd never have to answer for when times were good.

Filled with caustic wit and unusual insight, it's a rollicking read as speedy and unpredictable as the trajectory of a burst balloon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A memoir chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a woman whose perfect life and perfect job vanishes when she goes from a six-figure career to unemployment, and, forced to do some soul searching, becomes an author.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,208,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible