Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a…

Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal,… (edition 2006)

by Jen Lancaster

Member:sandykaypax
Title:Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
Authors:Jen Lancaster
Info:NAL Trade (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***
Tags:memoir, humor, Chicago

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, or, Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster

English (72)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All languages (74)
Jen Lancaster was a rich, snobby corporate woman who was suddenly laid off from her job. She spiralled downward from her lush lifestyle, while being unemployed for a couple of years. She tells her own story in this memoir.

The first little bit, while she was still employed, I wasn't sure if I'd like the book or not. I hated Jen! She treated people horribly, and I didn't find the book funny. She was far too sarcastic for my liking. BUT... after she was laid off, I actually started to laugh at some of her comments (I'm not sure if she mellowed in her comments, or if I just got more used to her sarcasm as I read - maybe a bit of both), and the good thing is that she actually learned something about how lavishly she lived her life and wasted money, thinking it would always be there. What a shock when it wasn't! I actually ended up really liking the book and it was funny. So, ultimately, I did enjoy the book, and I will read more by Lancaster. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 31, 2013 |
She's a funny author but I doubt I would read anymore of her books. I can't see them being any different than this one. I skimmed a bunch of her blog entries because they were boring and not funny. I have really mixed feelings about the book because the content isn't quality plot but she was pretty darn funny. Conflicted..hmm... ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Thank god that I had read Jeneration X before I read this. I probably would have put this down had that not been the case. Don't get me wrong, it's a great and funny read, but Jen is so unlikable at the beginning of the book that I would never have finished. She is quintessential yuppie. She and her husband make and spend lots of dough. They look down on us plebes from their wealthy perch.

Until Jen is laid off after a merger. Then she, very slowly, begins to be a human.

Loved this book, can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  bookwormteri | Aug 29, 2013 |
Chick-lit-memoir which started off horrible but got much better. I was feeling rather sympathetic by the end, and plan to read the sequel. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is my 2nd Jen Lancaster book, and like the first, I really enjoyed it. There are parts of this book that I read over and over (the back cover, The Jen Commandments) and know I will want to read again. Although there were times in the 1st half of the book when Jen's conspicuous consumption, arrogance, rudeness, and elitism were annoying, she clearly recognizes her faults enough to laugh at them. And I appreciate the fact that she really learns her lesson without changing who she is. I look forward to reading more in the world of Jennsylvania! ( )
  JillKB | Apr 4, 2013 |
"First she was a seed, and then she was trouble." --Todd Lancaster, December 25, 1970

"I do much better as a goddess, she said, since my secretarial skills have always been limited." --Bryan Andreas, in Trusting Soul
"Camille said you stole a bag from a homeless guy."
Funny how I can never do math unless it directly impacts my own pocketbook.

Jen Lancaster was living the sweet life-until real life kicked her to the curb.

She had the perfect man, the perfect job-hell, she had the perfect life-and there was no reason to think it wouldn't last. Or maybe there was, but Jen Lancaster was too busy being manicured, pedicured, highlighted, and generally adored to notice.

This is the smart-mouthed, soul-searching story of a woman trying to figure out what happens next when she's gone from six figures to unemployment checks and she stops to reconsider some of the less-than-rosy attitudes and values she thought she'd never have to answer for when times were good.

Filled with caustic wit and unusual insight, it's a rollicking read as speedy and unpredictable as the trajectory of a burst balloon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:25 -0400)

A memoir chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a woman whose perfect life and perfect job vanishes when she goes from a six-figure career to unemployment, and, forced to do some soul searching, becomes an author.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible