Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a…

Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal,… (edition 2006)

by Jen Lancaster

Title:Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
Authors:Jen Lancaster
Info:NAL Trade (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:memoir, humor, Chicago

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, or, Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster

English (77)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All languages (79)
read this for a book club, otherwise it is something i would have never picked up. To me the author, while not irredeemable, was unrelatable and rarely stirred anything along the lines of sympathy in my cold, cold heart. Her saving graces are her perseverance, loyalty and humour. (yes, there were times i actually laughed aloud eliciting strange looks from my husband)
i would like to say it wasn't her writing that was the problem. it was a quick, engaging read. the story flowed. it was the author herself that seemed to be the problem. (most likely my own, not hers.) ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
Fun, light, but relatable read. I expected to hate the main character from the title, but I actually really liked her. I will read more of her books. ( )
  lindseyrivers | Jul 30, 2015 |
Lancaster, Jen
Bitter is the New Black

Being a memoir written by a survivor of the dot.com crash which in itself contains enough material to be a superficial kind of hysterical, I was surprised by the amount of real depth and truth contained here. Between the lines about material excess, bloated egos, and entitlement issues, a real story emerges. There is heart among the thorns and the dawning of a true awareness that ironically, some would pay millions to achieve. Jen Lancaster maintains a certain edginess to her tone and sense of humor throughout that never waivers or jars even as she becomes a mature and caring adult. Lancaster's new book, Bright Lights, Big Ass is available at a library near you.
Recommended June 2007
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
Very easy to read book and would be a great beach read. The writing is engaging and full of humor. Lancaster's memoir reads just like a novel. ( )
  CinderH | May 26, 2015 |
Chic Lit is not my normal genre but this was recommended and I was in the mood for something different. At first I hated Jen and I coudn't imagine spending hours with her during this book (I missed the tagline after Bitter is the New Black, there was total truth in advertising), but she grew on me. She very smart and witty and because slowly away of her own shortcomings which was endearing. I couldn't help but love Fletch, because that man is a saint. They made a great couple. In the end I really enjoyed this book and might even consider another foray into chic lit with this author. ( )
  she_climber | Dec 2, 2014 |
"First she was a seed, and then she was trouble." --Todd Lancaster, December 25, 1970

"I do much better as a goddess, she said, since my secretarial skills have always been limited." --Bryan Andreas, in Trusting Soul
"Camille said you stole a bag from a homeless guy."
Funny how I can never do math unless it directly impacts my own pocketbook.

Jen Lancaster was living the sweet life-until real life kicked her to the curb.

She had the perfect man, the perfect job-hell, she had the perfect life-and there was no reason to think it wouldn't last. Or maybe there was, but Jen Lancaster was too busy being manicured, pedicured, highlighted, and generally adored to notice.

This is the smart-mouthed, soul-searching story of a woman trying to figure out what happens next when she's gone from six figures to unemployment checks and she stops to reconsider some of the less-than-rosy attitudes and values she thought she'd never have to answer for when times were good.

Filled with caustic wit and unusual insight, it's a rollicking read as speedy and unpredictable as the trajectory of a burst balloon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A memoir chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a woman whose perfect life and perfect job vanishes when she goes from a six-figure career to unemployment, and, forced to do some soul searching, becomes an author.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,714,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible