Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a…

Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal,… (edition 2006)

by Jen Lancaster

Title:Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
Authors:Jen Lancaster
Info:NAL Trade (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:memoir, humor, Chicago

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, or, Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster

English (78)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All languages (80)
I'm so glad I read Jeneration X first, because Lancaster isn't very likable at the beginning of her first book. She's all about style, shoes, having the most money, and buying anything she wants - even if it's a couch that can't be sat on. That being said, she never acts like an entitled bitch - she works 60 hours a week for her money. Thankfully, she still has her sarcasm and sense of humor, so the beginning is easy to read, even if you don't really care about Jen as a person. (Who gets married just for the money? Ok, probably a lot of people.) In the second half of the book, Jen is searching for a job after being laid off with no reason. She still wants to have a lot of money, and still buys new sweater sets and shoes, despite having to take that money out of her savings account. Still, she's becoming a better person - volunteering, fostering dogs, searching diligently for a job while ashamed of being on unemployment, emotionally supporting her husband. She undergoes a massive change when she realizes she never should have been living so materialistically in her past. She begins writing and realizes that she doesn't want to go back to working her ass off at an office for money, because she wants to truly enjoy life. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
read this for a book club, otherwise it is something i would have never picked up. To me the author, while not irredeemable, was unrelatable and rarely stirred anything along the lines of sympathy in my cold, cold heart. Her saving graces are her perseverance, loyalty and humour. (yes, there were times i actually laughed aloud eliciting strange looks from my husband)
i would like to say it wasn't her writing that was the problem. it was a quick, engaging read. the story flowed. it was the author herself that seemed to be the problem. (most likely my own, not hers.) ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
Fun, light, but relatable read. I expected to hate the main character from the title, but I actually really liked her. I will read more of her books. ( )
  lindseyrivers | Jul 30, 2015 |
Lancaster, Jen
Bitter is the New Black

Being a memoir written by a survivor of the dot.com crash which in itself contains enough material to be a superficial kind of hysterical, I was surprised by the amount of real depth and truth contained here. Between the lines about material excess, bloated egos, and entitlement issues, a real story emerges. There is heart among the thorns and the dawning of a true awareness that ironically, some would pay millions to achieve. Jen Lancaster maintains a certain edginess to her tone and sense of humor throughout that never waivers or jars even as she becomes a mature and caring adult. Lancaster's new book, Bright Lights, Big Ass is available at a library near you.
Recommended June 2007
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
Very easy to read book and would be a great beach read. The writing is engaging and full of humor. Lancaster's memoir reads just like a novel. ( )
  CinderH | May 26, 2015 |
"First she was a seed, and then she was trouble." --Todd Lancaster, December 25, 1970

"I do much better as a goddess, she said, since my secretarial skills have always been limited." --Bryan Andreas, in Trusting Soul
"Camille said you stole a bag from a homeless guy."
Funny how I can never do math unless it directly impacts my own pocketbook.

Jen Lancaster was living the sweet life-until real life kicked her to the curb.

She had the perfect man, the perfect job-hell, she had the perfect life-and there was no reason to think it wouldn't last. Or maybe there was, but Jen Lancaster was too busy being manicured, pedicured, highlighted, and generally adored to notice.

This is the smart-mouthed, soul-searching story of a woman trying to figure out what happens next when she's gone from six figures to unemployment checks and she stops to reconsider some of the less-than-rosy attitudes and values she thought she'd never have to answer for when times were good.

Filled with caustic wit and unusual insight, it's a rollicking read as speedy and unpredictable as the trajectory of a burst balloon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A memoir chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a woman whose perfect life and perfect job vanishes when she goes from a six-figure career to unemployment, and, forced to do some soul searching, becomes an author.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible