People Are Unappealing: Even Me by Sara…

People Are Unappealing: Even Me (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Sara Barron

Title:People Are Unappealing: Even Me
Authors:Sara Barron
Info:Crown Archetype (2009), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, memoirs, Read in 2013
Tags:autobiography, memoir, essays, humor, New York, New York City, non-fiction, self-deprecation, service industry, women, acting, school, plays, theatre, families, dysfunctional families, college, restaurants, waitressing, performance, friendships, relationships, online dating

People Are Unappealing: Even Me by Sara Barron (2009)

While slow to start, "People Are Unappealing: Even Me" eventually delves into Sara Barron's adult life, where she ventures briefly into a career as a Coyote (of the "Ugly" variety), a not-so-successful standup comedian for bachlorettes, and a waitress to the celebrities, including the infamous "Twat Waffle". This book has short, easily digestible stories. I especially enjoyed the chapter on her online dating adventures. A good, quick read overall. ( )
  Ellie.Pelto | Jul 7, 2015 |
People may be unappealing but this book was anything but. These short chapters are funny and so close to my experiences. Sara Barron is hilarious, honest and someone I would like to know. Her mother is a hypochondriac therapist with her own copy of Merck's Manual, her father is a man who loves musicals. Sara describes them as Bea Arthur (mom) and Estelle Getty (dad) of the Golden Girls. Sara grows up with a love of the theater (actually, it is the attention she craves). She goes to a downtown Manhattan university and gets an MFA. Her dad is thrilled and her mom is appeased by the fact that "at least its not cancer". Sara is gifted with enthusiasm but little talent so she gets a job waiting tables at a restaurant she calls 'Hell'. Sara ends her book by talking about an encounter she had with a celeb she calls Madrid Days Inn (not her real name, can you guess what it is?) that delighted and repelled me. This book is not for the faint of heart - one review calls it "A wickedly funny and dirty treasure trove of modern day odd-balls."

April 2012 ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Very funny! I really enjoyed this book. It is NOT appropriate for school, so I wouldn't recommend it to my high school students. The language and sex "stuff" is too explicit for them. ( )
  pamfb7557 | Aug 7, 2010 |
One hysterical book. Learning advice from the author by expoilting her own embarrassing stories.
Brave, funny writing. A must read
  Helpless | Jan 26, 2010 |
For my parents, Lynn and Joe
I've always preferred sedentary activities to active activities.

Sara Barron recounts the strange, humorous, and shocking stories of her suburban upbringing, move to New York City, failed relationships, and struggles to find her niche in life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible