I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn

I Was Amelia Earhart (1996)

by Jane Mendelsohn

fiction that she lived on desert island w/ navigator — as lovers rest of life — okay

In this brilliantly imagined novel, Amelia Earhart tells us what happened after she and her navigator, Fred Noonan, disappeared off the coast of New Guinea one glorious, windy day in 1937. And she tells us about herself.
  christinejoseph | Mar 22, 2016 |
This is my favorite book of all time. I can't really explain why, it just is. So beautiful. Maybe I just read it at the right time, in the right place. ( )
  KelAppNic | Jan 26, 2016 |
So lyrical, almost like verse. If you could read the ocean, this is how it would read. Beautiful simplicity with the perfect marriage of words. This is my very favorite book of all time. Not because of the story, characters or outcome; but, because of the dance of it all. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I was Amelia Earhart is an interesting premise for a story but it's poorly executed. I ended up skipping around a lot and it really didn't seem to matter that I did. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 25, 2014 |
I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn was a strange reading experience. Instead of a outward look at the life of Amelia Earhart, this was more akin to being inside Amelia Earhart looking out. The book details her last flight, but with intense yet random thoughts on her marriage that was more like a business partnership, her complicated relationship with her navigator, her feelings about flight and flying, and her uncanny awareness that this would be a doomed flight. Then upon an emergency landing on a small Pacific island that they call “Heaven” the two embark upon a journey of self-awareness and acceptance of each other and their fate.

This book was on the 1997 Orange Prize Short List, and I can understand why this was so just from the beautifully descriptive writing but as it takes place all in the main character’s head, very much as thoughts come and go in our own heads, it was also disjointed, choppy and fragmented. I found this so personal that at times I forgot this was only fictional speculation, it felt much more like I was spying on her diary.

Both compelling and poetic, I Was Amelia Earhart has left me wanting to know more about the real life of this aviatrix that was for a short time America’s Darling. I will now be on the hunt for a non-fiction account of her life that will help to fill in the blanks. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jan 12, 2013 |
But in the roar of the wind she heard the roar of an aeroplane coming nearer and nearer. - Virginia Woolf, Orlando
For Nick
The sky is flesh.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679776362, Paperback)

In an evocative and imaginative novel, Amelia Earhart tells us what happened after she and her navigator, Fred Noonan, disappeared off the coast of New Guinea one windy day in 1937.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

In a novel about a real-life mystery, Amelia Earhart describes what happened after she and her navigator disappeared off the coast of New Guinea in 1937 and discusses her love of flying, memories of her past, and her life with G.P. Putnam

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible