The Flamingo's Smile: Reflections in…

The Flamingo's Smile: Reflections in Natural History (original 1985; edition 1987)

by Stephen Jay Gould

Title:The Flamingo's Smile: Reflections in Natural History
Authors:Stephen Jay Gould
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1987), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 480 pages

The Flamingo's Smile: Reflections in Natural History by Stephen Jay Gould (1985)

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
Another collection of Gould's essays on evolution, natural history, palentology, baseball, etc. I've enjoyed his essays since I first started reading them many years back and this one is just as good. It is an older collection so it was interesting to read about the new at the time theory of mas extinction by asteroid and also an essay on nuclear winter.
  amyem58 | Oct 19, 2016 |
Just didn't do much for me. Maybe if I'd had more education in these fields. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
One of the first of the collections of his columns. ( )
  hcubic | Aug 2, 2015 |
Interesting essays, as always, about how science works, evolution and natural history. Reading these essays is a pleasure, tinged with regret that Stephen Jay Gould is no longer writing them. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
This is another collection of essays loosely based around evolutionary biology (with some inevitable baseball references).

This is what the author is best at. He like language and uses it in his own verbose and slightly pompous manner but once again we can see that he doesn't seem to have a nasty bone in his body.

Having now seen him talk on you tube I can picture him reading the book to me, slightly out of breath, fiddling with his glasses dramatically and pausing for effect quite often. This only helps the enjoyment all the more.

Some of the material covered is getting old now (1987) so bear that in mind, but I particularly enjoyed some of the "period" references e.g. the dino-killing impact theory.

If you haven't read Gould then this might be a decent place to start - if you have read him then this is a cracking example of him in the medium he does best. ( )
1 vote psiloiordinary | Sep 6, 2010 |
An eminent colleague, a fine theoretician who has paid his dues in the field, once said to me, only partly facetiously, that fieldwork is one hell of a way to get information. All that time, effort and money, often for comparatively little when measured against the hours invested. True enough, especially when I count the hours spent drinking Cuban coffee, the one pleasure of my least favorite place, Miami airport. But all the frustration and dull, repetitive effort vanish to insignificance before the unalloyed joy of finding something new – and this pleasure can be savored nearly every day if one loves little things as well. To say, "We have discovered it; we understand it; we have made some sense and order of nature's confusion." Can any reward be greater? (from: Opus 100)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,749,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible