dismiss

A Treasury of Great Mysteries [Volume 2] (1957)

by Howard Haycraft (Editor), John Beecroft (Editor)

Other authors: John Dickson Carr (Contributor), Raymond Chandler (Contributor), Leslie Charteris (Contributor), Daphne du Maurier (Contributor), Ngaio Marsh (Contributor)4 more, Stuart Palmer (Contributor), Craig Rice (Contributor), Dorothy L. Sayers (Contributor), Rex Stout (Contributor)

Series: A Treasury of Great Mysteries (2)

This is more than a collection of short stories, it is a collection of short novels. Since that is the case, and so many of them are classic mysteries and fine reads, I'm going to give each novel a brief review.
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler- I enjoyed the pithy dialog in this. Easy to read as a film noir. The author has a great descriptive talent, though at times gets carried away in my opinion. I truly enjoyed this.
The Bone of Contention by Dorothy L. Sayers- I enjoyed this mystery, one gets to see Lord Peter at his country best, though I have to swallow some of the horse clues pretty hard.
The Arrow of God by Leslie Charteris- I really like the Saint. Much better than James Bond in spirit. I wish this story could have been fleshed out more, but it's a nice short story.
I Can't Find my Way Out by Ngaio Marsh- Another good short story, though the actual crime could have been explained better.
Instead of Evidence by Rex Stout-This is a nice post-war story, clever murderer. Nothing hidden, but so obvious you miss it. Rex Stout is one of my favorites.
Rift in the Loot by Stuart Palmer and Craig Rice- Not a bad story, cute in a way, but right at the climax of the story the leads do something so stupid it goes beyond credibility. I hate that. Other than that incident, the story was entertaining.
The Man Who Explained Miracles by Carter Dickson- I was enjoying this, then suddenly the pages were full of unreasonable reactions and hollering, lots of !!!!! Unnatural. Without that, the story would have been fun.
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier- This is my fourth read of this novel, it doesn't pale. I found this read different, in that since I've aged, I view the characters differently than I did in the past. Also loved enjoying her descriptions and mood setting. I've never read another book which holds me this well. Mystery, Gothic, romance, suspense, this story has it all and it is superb writing too. ( )
  MrsLee | Aug 7, 2008 |
Murder in the Calais Coach-Agatha Christie. Always enjoyable to read Poirot.
The Case of the Crimson Kiss-Earl Stanley Gardner. Perry Mason is O.K., kind of hohum.
The Treasure Hunt-Edgar Wallace. Interesting, I wouldn't mind reading more about Mr. Reeder to find out if I do like him. Kind of predictable in this story.
Maigrets Christmas-Georges Simenon. My mom really likes this guy, but I haven't been thrilled.
Puzzle for Poppy-Patrick Quentin. This was very simple to solve, but fun anyway.
The Secret-Mary Roberts-Rinehart. I found the premise of this intriguing, but the character herself fell short of my expectations. I like the idea of a detective nurse though.
The Incautious Burglar-John Dickson Carr. This one bored me.
The Lamp of God-Ellery Queen. A good mystery, but I'm not that fond of Ellery Queen the detective. The ending of this was silly.
The Case of the White Elephant-Margery Allingham. Well, I won't accuse her of copying Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter, but if it was the other way around, Dorothy Sayers did a MUCH better job!
Rear Window-Wiliam Irish. This was fun to read and compare to the movie. The movie was better, but this was suspenseful, though vague in so many places.
Journey into Fear-Eric Ambler. I finished this to know how it ended, but it bored me most of the way through. However, I could imagine all my favorite "noir" actors in the principle characters. Wonder if they made a movie out of it? ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 13, 2006 |

Palmer, StuartContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rice, CraigContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sayers, Dorothy L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stout, RexContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set or different volumes of the same set.

Volume 2

-- Stout, Rex - Instead of Evidence
-- Palmer, Stuart and Rice, Craig - Rift in the Loot
-- Carr, John Dickson as Carter Dickson - The Man Who Explained Miracles
-- du Maurier, Daphne - Rebecca

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,190,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible