Revolt in 2100 by Robert A. Heinlein

Revolt in 2100 (edition 1965)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:Revolt in 2100
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Signet. (1965), Mass Paperback
Collections:Your library, @Home, To read
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction

Revolt in 2100 by Robert A. Heinlein

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
This isn't really a novel, but consists of three loosely connected stories. The three were published as a novel in 1953, though "Misfit" was written as early as 1939. The revolt in the book's title is against a future theocracy that has taken over the United States, and is the subject of the short novel, "If This Goes On." "Coventry," a novella of 73 pages, and the short story "Misfit" are quite different, even if part of the same "future history," but dealing with very different characters and situations. I remember "Coventry" pretty well among Heinlein's stories. Heinlein is known for a libertarian tinge to his politics. In this future the penalty for doing damage to another is either to accept psychological treatment or "Coventry"--exile with others who won't conform to the social contract. I liked the way David MacKinnon learns his lessons about the costs of civilization--and a lack of it--and grows up. "Misfit" is about a boy of extraordinary talent. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 31, 2012 |
Not really science fiction, more of a future fiction book, this is almost Heilein's version of Brave New World. Oddly appropriate for today's election year. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 31, 2012 |
LAZARUS LONG
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Good early Heinlein, which is pretty good. "Revolt" posits a United States which has been taken over by a corrupt theocracy, and traces the fortunes of a group of people who join the underground (literally) plot to overthrow the government. The characters are not exactly fully fleshed, but the ideas are interesting, and the detail of the society in question (as so often in Heinlein) one of the book's strong points. Funny, a corrupt theocracy doesn't sound nearly as improbable as it did back in the 1950's, when I first read this. ( )
  annbury | Sep 28, 2010 |
Robert Heinlein is perhaps one of the best known future history authors of the 20th century, having written many different novels all exposing the flaws of society. Revolt in 2100 is composed of three shorter stories, If this Goes On, Coventry, and Misfit, and was originally written for a science fiction magazine called Astounding Science Fiction, where it was first published as a novel in 1953, though the earliest of the stories, Misfit, was written in 1939. I found that this knowledge was important, because there is no warning in the book that all three stories have nothing connecting them. Although the relationships of the characters to seem to be children, parents, or other relatives of the characters in the other stories. In the beginning of the novel there is a very helpful chart made by Heinlein of all the books he had written and their chronological fit, including characters, inventions at that time, and social developments. Heinlein’s challenge to his readers is not to worry or ponder the dangers of the future, but to understand why things happen, and what we can do to prevent social order from being stretched and destroyed.
Overall, If this Goes On, was a fantastic novel, but what interested me was that the main character and the hero were not the same thing, even though the main character, named John Lyle, did heroic things, said heroic things, but the real hero was his friend, Zebadiah Jones, who is educated, disagrees with the religious dictatorship, and makes it his mission to educate John as well. Zeb, as he is referred to, at one point speaks freely about his distaste in the government, and he makes a point that I highly agree with. That everyone should have the right to speak their mind however they please, but they also have the right to be silent about it. I took this notion with me as I have been watching what goes on in our world today. In the United States, in the year 2010, we are not as technologically advanced as we thought we might be in 1950, we don’t have personal ram jets, and we don’t have weapons that don’t use particles. We still have bullets, and we still have some of the same social problems Heinlein talks about in the book. There are people who have distaste for people of different race, color, religion or otherwise, for no other reason than just because. These prejudices have been around since humans could tell that one man looked different than his neighbor, and still exist in Heinlein’s history of the future. In early June 2010, Helen Thomas made a comment about Israel that was neither proper nor appropriate. But it shows that people’s prejudices still guide them.
Heinlein uses If this Goes On to show what would happen if the Church, any church took over using religion to unite the people under one dictatorship, the Church that took over the country used propaganda and scapegoats to make the majority of the people follow them, and accept the Church as the governing body. I found it interesting that Heinlein would be so blunt about making the Church the enemy, but it really emphasizes his point that the separation of Church and State is imperative to the survival and freedom of a nation and its citizens.
Revolt in 2100 will make any reader think twice when they see something in a newspaper, on the radio, or on television, when statements are made that are based on prejudice and hatred, Heinlein’s words echo with deeper meaning. The Future that Heinlein wrote about is a possibility, and it is our job as citizens, and individuals, to keep that from happening, whether we are of a majority, or a minority, religiously, socially, ethnically. We are all people and that means me must protect each other. I find the words of Zebadiah Jones inspiring, because they had personal meaning to me as and religious minority, as well as my own knowledge of other people’s differences.
2 vote aanker | Aug 25, 2010 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafran, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stan and Sophia Mullen
It was cold on the rampart.

At the height of America's secular decadence came wrath of the Lord for those who opposed him, and the promise of earthly happiness and hevanly bliss for those who followed him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible