Ringworld by Larry Niven

Ringworld (1970)

by Larry Niven (Author)

Series: Ringworld (1), Known Space (8)

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (codeeater)
    codeeater: Another story about a mysterious alien artefact.
    The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (fugitive)
    fugitive: Another hard science fiction book about a fully realized world with lots of technical details.
    Eon by Greg Bear (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    Sundiver by David Brin (LamontCranston)
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (nar_)
    nar_: Space travelling and interminable, huge lands and space... so huge !
    Titan by John Varley (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you liked the gee-whizziness and adventure / exploration of RINGWORLD, but couldn't stomach the sexism, try Varley's TITAN (and sequels in the trilogy, WIZARD and DEMON) -- all the fun but only a fraction of the annoying ideology.
    Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement (Michael.Rimmer)
    A World Too Near by Kay Kenyon (mentatjack)
    mentatjack: One of the blurbs on the cover of A World Too Near compares The Entire and the Rose favorably to The Ringworld series by Larry Niven.

English (93)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (100)
I see where the idea for the Halo games series came from. It's not an adventure story but it has good ideas. I think the most compelling character was Teela Brown even though she comes across as a child when Louis is describing her. After that I learned when traveling between stars or miles of Ringworld you get to have a ton of sex. Only if your human so that was good to know. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
This is a book I have always heard was one of the classics, and it seems familiar so maybe I read it 30 years ago and don't remember. Anyway, I was a little disappointed.

Louis Wu is a 200 year old man on Earth who is bored, and who is recruited by a Puppeteer named Nessus to go on an expedition to a mysterious artifact that has been spied deep in space. The Puppeteers are a more advance alien race that had disappeared from human contact, but return for this important project. Also recruited is a Kzin named Speaker, from a race of 8 foot tall furry aliens who have a propensity for violence and warfare, and Teela Brown, a young human woman who is the result of a Puppeteer-led clandestine program to breed a person for good luck. The band arrives at the Ringworld, an enormous artifact circling a star with a habitat that is as big as a million earths. But when they arrive they find the Ringworld has descended into barbarism, its technology no longer fully functional, and their wanderings and attempts to escape the place are chronicled.

The good news: the book is true hard sci-fi, and Niven goes to some lengths to invent a world that is astrophysically plausible; we don't need to accept magic to see how it works. I appreciate attempts at plausibility, and in this book Niven gets the right balance by explaining the physics without burying us too deep in science that a lay person can't understand (which is my problem with the recently read "Bowl of Heaven", an otherwise similar book). I also liked the humor injected throughout- the concept of breeding for luck is silly, but I took it as a wry joke and enjoyed it.

I also liked the description of how an advanced society can really fall apart back into a previous age- a reminder of how everything teeters on the edge of chaos. When you build something like the Ringworld, you have to be ready for any eventuality or risk the whole thing coming apart.

The bad news: the book is kind of sexist- the women in the book are basically presented as sex objects for the pleasure of the male protagonist. And while the pace is leisurely through most of the book, the end comes suddenly. That's odd, because the sequel wasn't written until 9 years later.

I guess I'll read the rest of the series eventually- not bad stuff, if not my favorite. ( )
  DanTarlin | May 21, 2015 |
I had heard about this series for sometime and finally found a copy. This is a great read Niven is a brilliant science fiction writer who creates a wonderful world and deals with some complex huge space issues. The ring world itself is a massive almost too big interstellar marvel that I am staggered he could imagine let alone write about.

Without his imagination we wouldn't have had one in Halo.

The story is one of a grand adventure and has a lot of extra information for Niven fans. I had no issue with not knowing the full story (I think I've read one or two others of his). The space adventure was well written and thought out and now I look forward to finding and reading the rest. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |
This is everything I hate about 70s science fiction: female characters who could literally be replaced by a stuffed animal (except that the main male character has to have a lady around to bang or else he'll rape an alien), inconsistent aliens that don't quite make sense, an obsession with impressive numbers to the detriment of story, and, oh yeah, alien species with non-sentient females. Yeah. It's readable enough, and parts of it were indeed interesting and fun, but mostly I wanted to set it on fire. ( )
1 vote jen.e.moore | Sep 23, 2014 |

Johnson, Steven VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sternbach,RickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the night-time heart of Beirut, in one of a row of general-address transfer booths, Louis Wu flicked into reality.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345333926, Mass Market Paperback)

A new place is being built, a world of huge dimensions, encompassing millions of miles, stronger than any planet before it. There is gravity, and with high walls and its proximity to the sun, a livable new planet that is three million times the area of the Earth can be formed. We can start again!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:50 -0400)

Two humans and two aliens, who are traveling to distant reaches of space to prevent a future catastrophe, crash on a ringworld apparently created by superior technologies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,247,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible