Ringworld by Larry Niven

Ringworld (original 1970; edition 1981)

by Larry Niven

Authors:Larry Niven
Info:Del Rey (1981), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Read and Released
Tags:science fiction

Ringworld by Larry Niven (1970)

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (codeeater)
    codeeater: Another story about a mysterious alien artefact.
    The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (fugitive)
    fugitive: Another hard science fiction book about a fully realized world with lots of technical details.
    Eon by Greg Bear (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    Sundiver by David Brin (LamontCranston)
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (nar_)
    nar_: Space travelling and interminable, huge lands and space... so huge !
    Titan by John Varley (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you liked the gee-whizziness and adventure / exploration of RINGWORLD, but couldn't stomach the sexism, try Varley's TITAN (and sequels in the trilogy, WIZARD and DEMON) -- all the fun but only a fraction of the annoying ideology.
    Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement (Michael.Rimmer)
    A World Too Near by Kay Kenyon (mentatjack)
    mentatjack: One of the blurbs on the cover of A World Too Near compares The Entire and the Rose favorably to The Ringworld series by Larry Niven.

English (105)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (113)
For years, I have heard so much about Ringworld, the classic, the winner of both the Hugo and Nebula awards for best science fiction novel of 1971 and I’ve wanted to read it for a long time. I’ve finally gotten around to it. Don’t ask me why it took me so long. I have no excuses. I just never made the time. However, now that I’ve gotten a look at it, I have to say that I’m disappointed. I don’t know what the big deal is. In fact, while it’s a “big idea” book, I think not only is it rather boring, but it’s sexist as hell and Niven definitely comes from the “old school” of mid-century male sci fi writers (read Asimov, etc) who use their female protagonists as complete idiots or total whores. And that’s about it. One would hope these men changed with the times as they aged. I think Asimov did, to some degree, as evidenced by his Foundation prequels.

It seems to me that the awards are given out for “big idea” novels, ie, Vernor Vinge, Dick’s The Man in the High Castle, Ringworld, The Children of Time, etc. Yet, perhaps with the exception of Dick, I’d have to say I’m not overly impressed with any of them. The authors usually try to stuff a little too much philosophy in there for my liking, a little too much Ender. Don’t get me wrong. I liked Ender. But after awhile, there’s only so much Ender one can take. After awhile, the books become a little preachy and who buys sci fi novels to be preached to? Not me. Not a lot of people. And while this novel has a moderately respectable 3.96 Goodreads rating (which isn’t THAT respectable for such an award winning book), most of the reviews I’ve read have been one, two, and three star reviews because not much happens in this book. Just two humans and two aliens sitting around talking science, philosophy, and sexuality (it was the 1970s, after all) while on this amazing planetary body. Oh, and lots of misogyny and sexism. Yeah. And that about sums it up. And the awards for this? I don’t know. I’m obviously not the best person to determine who should get these awards. I like David Weber, Chris Bunch, Philip K. Dick, Alastair Reynolds, etc. These men generally don’t line up for awards like this, although before he’s done, I think Reynolds may have a chance. I think his books are brilliant. Warped, but brilliant.

Anyway, I’m not sure what rating to give this. Since it’s a classic, I’d like to give it a higher rating out of a sense of sci fi duty to my elders, but I don’t think I can. One star. Not recommended. ( )
1 vote scottcholstad | Aug 31, 2016 |
The story is set in the future, 2850 CE, and opens with Louis Gridley Wu is celebrating his 200th birthday. He is bored. He meets up with Nessus, a Pierson's Puppeteer who offers him a position on a exploration trip beyond known space. The other crew members are Speaker-to-Animals (Speaker), who is a Kzin, and Teela Brown, a young human woman. the expedition's goal is to explore a ringworld: an artificial ring about one million miles (1.6 gigameters) wide and approximately the diameter of Earth's orbit (which makes it about 600 million miles (1,000 gigameters) in circumference), encircling a sunlike star. This was a very enjoyable read. I listened to the audio version read by Tom Parker. This was a great adventure story. Ringworld won the Nebula Award in 1970, the Hugo Award and Locus Award in 1971. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 30, 2016 |
Good reading, lot of humour, playing with the reader! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Decent science fiction. Probably outstanding in its day, less so now. I reviewed it at http://alien-space-fiction.suite101.com/article.cfm/ringworld_by_larry_niven ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The description of Ringworld takes some getting used to -- the scale of the ring and the interior is so immense that it's sometimes difficult to imagine. The story was interesting and well-done as I have found to be the case with Larry Niven's books. I have the next 2 books in the Ringworld series as well as the first in the Man-Kzin Wars that I'll read after the challenge. ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |

Johnson, Steven VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sternbach,RickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the night-time heart of Beirut, in one of a row of general-address transfer booths, Louis Wu flicked into reality.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345333926, Mass Market Paperback)

A new place is being built, a world of huge dimensions, encompassing millions of miles, stronger than any planet before it. There is gravity, and with high walls and its proximity to the sun, a livable new planet that is three million times the area of the Earth can be formed. We can start again!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:32 -0400)

Two humans and two aliens, who are traveling to distant reaches of space to prevent a future catastrophe, crash on a ringworld apparently created by superior technologies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,795,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible