The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A…

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A Russian Tale (edition 1968)

by Arthur Ransome, Uri Shulevitz (Illustrator)

Member:cennis3
Title:The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A Russian Tale
Authors:Arthur Ransome
Other authors:Uri Shulevitz (Illustrator)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (1968), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:***

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship by Arthur Ransome

The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet Bishop (raizel)
    raizel: both stories have people with unusual powers
    The Fool and the Flying Ship (Rabbit Ears Book & Audio) by Eric Metaxas (Rabbitearsblog)
    Rabbitearsblog: "I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who loves Henrik Drescher's illustrations, good humor, Russian folktales, and Robin Williams. The book (see more) is extremely hilarious and fun to look at and I'm sure that you will enjoy this book a lot!"… (more)

This retelling of a traditional Russian folk tale was awarded the Caldecott Medal for illustrations by Uri Sheulevitz. The fool is a peasant with limited resources; even his parents look down on him. So when the czar announces that the first person to bring him a flying ship will have his daughter’s hand in marriage, no one believes the Fool could possibly succeed. But he sets off anyway, and the adventure begins.

Shulevitz’s beautiful illustrations really enhance the story. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 17, 2017 |
The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship is a retelling of a classic folktale. The story follows simple-minded boy on his journey to find a flying ship and marry the Czar's daughter. The story teaches its readers that God loves the simple, as the main character is constantly being saved or helped by possibly supernatural companions. While I didn't care much for the story itself, I did enjoy the illustrations. The illustrations are beautiful, detailed, and brightly colored. However, they don't necessarily add anything to the story, in my opinion, because they can't stand alone from the text. It is a pleasant read but I wouldn't read this to younger children because of how wordy it is at times. ( )
  ilonon | Feb 8, 2017 |
I would recommend this book when talking about goals and hard work. This book is about a young fool and his family thought little of him. The King annouced who who brought him a flying ship could marry the princess. The fool never gave up. ( )
  Devin_Woodall | Feb 6, 2017 |
Niether my son or I cared for this at all. Why should this simpleton have all this help? And who are these helpers? Nonsense. However, if these are the kinds of fable Russians are raised with, maybe that explains why the nation doesn't do so well. :(

update:
I've received a private message giving the opinion that my above review insults the Russian nation.

(1) I don't know why the messenger didn't post a journal entry, to share his or her opinion with the bookcrossing community, which is the point of bookcrossing, and

(2) I don't understand how my review is insulting. It's a *fact* that Russia (and the Soviet Union) aren't doing (didn't do) so well. The government is corrupt, the people are hungry, dissidents are jailed and poisoned... and perhaps fables that advocate contentment in foolishness contribute to the troubles of the country.

That being said (3) I've got no agenda against the Russian people and I wish them all the good fortune they can muster the strength to seek.?" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship" is a Russian tale of a fool and his journey to success despite the expectations of everyone who knew him. The Czar is ready to give his daughter in marriage to the first man to present a flying ship to him. The fool journey's to the palace without a plan, and along the way encounters just the right people to complete the task and win the Czar's daughter. In the end, the two fall in love and the fool becomes clever. The moral of the story, stated at the beginning of the book, is a religious one. The book states that God rewards the simple folk. The story also has secular morals. It teaches the reader that there is no need to label people and decide what they can and can not do. It teaches the reader that kindness leads to good things and that no matter how impossible the task, you never know what might happen if you give it a try.
  kquisling | Jun 3, 2016 |

Arthur Ransomeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shulevitz, UriIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When the Czar proclaims that he will marry his daughter to the man who brings him a flying ship, the Fool of the World sets out to try his luck and meets some unusual companions on the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

Legacy Library: Arthur Ransome

Arthur Ransome has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Ransome's legacy profile.

See Arthur Ransome's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,829,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible