Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski

Bras & Broomsticks

by Sarah Mlynowski

English (38)  Finnish (1)  All languages (39)
So now that I have a cd player in my car again I decided that it is time to listen to audiobooks to and from work again. I grabbed this at work last Wednesday and decided to give it a listen. I remember my sister reading this when she was in high school and I was curious about it.

Rachel's sister Miri develops magical powers. The girls use Miri's powers to try and break up their dad and his girlfriend, get their parents back together, and propel Rachel to the A-List. The beginning of the book struck me as a lot of fun and funny and I thought the narrator did a phenomenal job with all of the different characters voices, especially Miri and Rachel. However there was a point where Rachel got a little bit too selfish for me and I did have a hard time with them trying to screw up the wedding, which I'm willing to admit might have something to do with my own wedding being a week away. Funny with a very strong message, but I haven't decided if I will give the next book in the series a try yet. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Whiny teenage girls. Couldn't stand them then, no way do I bother to read about them now. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
For Aviva, my baby sister.
I've wished for lots of things in my fourteen years... a boyfriend, world peace, cleavage.

It's crazy. How can Rachel's sister miri possibly a witch? And how come Rachel didn't get the powers that could have turned her into instant superstar?

Miri refuses to use her witchy skills for the benefit of humankind (i.e. Rachel). Which is a drag, given that Rachel has an urgent need of some serious dance talent - not to mention a boyfriend like gorgeous, unobtainable Raf. But maybe there's one cause Miri just CAN'T refuse. With their dad about to marry awful STB (aka Soon To Be Step-Monster), a few sly spells may be the only way to prevent a total disaster..

What if all your wishes could come true? Blink your eyes, drink a fizzing pink potion, and poof! Life is perfect. That’s Rachel’s situation. Except she’s not the one who suddenly has magical powers. Her younger sister is. And as Rachel would tell you, spellbooks are wasted on the young!

Yes, yes, of course world peace and cures for horrible diseases are important. But so is dancing without looking like she’s being electrocuted, winning back her best friend, stopping her dad’s wedding, and finding a date for Spring Fling.

Rachel’s not bewitched. Yet. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:43 -0400)

Living in New York City with her mother and her younger sister, Miri, fourteen-year-old Rachel tries to persuade Miri, who has recently become a witch, to help her become popular at school and to try to stop their divorced father's wedding.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,141,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible