Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski

Bras & Broomsticks

by Sarah Mlynowski

English (34)  Finnish (1)  All languages (35)
Whiny teenage girls. Couldn't stand them then, no way do I bother to read about them now. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
There are quite a few books out that cover the story of a young girl suddenly learning she’s a witch and then coming to terms with the effect it has on her life. Basically learning how to control her powers, and sorting out right from wrong and who to trust. BRAS AND BROOMSTICKS takes a different viewpoint – what if you are the only female in your family who is NOT a witch?

Rachel is fourteen and like most teenagers her days are spent worrying about fitting in. These worries are mainly figuring out how to join the cool group, getting a cute boyfriend, wearing the right clothes and completing homework on time. Then comes the day Rachel gets something new to worry about; her mother reveals she is a witch and her younger sister, Miri, has just come into her powers. Apparently being a witch is hereditary but it would appear that this power has skipped Rachel completely. Once she gets over her disappointment Rachel starts plotting how to use her goody-two-shoes sister’s powers to her advantage. Miri is not interested until Rachel points out that they can use magic to get rid of their much hated step-mother to be and get their mum and dad back together. Soon Miri is cooking up all sorts of potions and spells, not always going according to plan, which is what tends to happen when you sneak around messing with things you don’t really know about. Gradually through some hilariously magical twists and turns the two girls learn what is really important in life and that it is not always a good idea to force people to be what they wanted them to be.

The characters are well-written; author Sarah Mlynowski obviously remembers her teens. Rachel and Miri act like normal teenagers, they are insecure, think they know it and make some bad decisions, which seem to them to be the right thing to do, in the heat of the moment. Of course most teens don’t have magical powers, but if they did then I really think this could happen.

BRAS AND BROOMSTICKS is the first in the series – I have already read the 3rd one in the series and enjoyed it – and it did not spoil this story for me. ( )
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I wasn't sure I'd like this as much as I did. It's very girly. The main character uses her younger sister's newfound witch powers to make herself popular. There's mean girls, there's boys, there's a dance, there's an evil stepmother, etc, etc. And the concept is stolen straight out of Bewitched or Sabrina.But.. somehow, I didn't mind. The voice of the main character must've sold it. Even though she keeps denying she's a geek, she likes Star Wars (quite alot) and is really good at math. And while some things were predictable, other things weren't so much.Will I read the next one? Well, I think I may have if it was available as an e-book. But as I begin to forget this book and this character, I'm going to start caring less what happens to her next. So.. I probably won't. ( )
  Jellyn | Jul 23, 2012 |
14-year-old Rachel Weinstein is having a good time! Her sister is a witch! Her mother is too! Look at all the magic that can be performed! But there is a sad part of this...she is not...Will her sister help make her crushes like her? Will her sister help her with friend issues? Could this turn into a problem? ( )
  jkmurray | Feb 4, 2011 |

sally906 | Jan 14, 2011 |
For Aviva, my baby sister.
I've wished for lots of things in my fourteen years... a boyfriend, world peace, cleavage.

It's crazy. How can Rachel's sister miri possibly a witch? And how come Rachel didn't get the powers that could have turned her into instant superstar?

Miri refuses to use her witchy skills for the benefit of humankind (i.e. Rachel). Which is a drag, given that Rachel has an urgent need of some serious dance talent - not to mention a boyfriend like gorgeous, unobtainable Raf. But maybe there's one cause Miri just CAN'T refuse. With their dad about to marry awful STB (aka Soon To Be Step-Monster), a few sly spells may be the only way to prevent a total disaster..

What if all your wishes could come true? Blink your eyes, drink a fizzing pink potion, and poof! Life is perfect. That’s Rachel’s situation. Except she’s not the one who suddenly has magical powers. Her younger sister is. And as Rachel would tell you, spellbooks are wasted on the young!

Yes, yes, of course world peace and cures for horrible diseases are important. But so is dancing without looking like she’s being electrocuted, winning back her best friend, stopping her dad’s wedding, and finding a date for Spring Fling.

Rachel’s not bewitched. Yet. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:30 -0400)

Living in New York City with her mother and her younger sister, Miri, fourteen-year-old Rachel tries to persuade Miri, who has recently become a witch, to help her become popular at school and to try to stop their divorced father's wedding.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible