Night Dancer by Marcia Vaughan

Night Dancer (edition 2002)

by Marcia Vaughan, Lisa Desimini (Illustrator), Marcia K. Vaughan

Info:Orchard (2002), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Easy, Folktale, Multicultural

Night Dancer by Marcia Vaughan

This was a nice book. I enjoyed the pictures and the story. The book was about an Indian who played music and danced at night. People and animals followed him dancing. I think my favorite part about this book was the pictures. ( )
  malindahodgson | Sep 6, 2013 |
This would be a good book to use when teaching American history to teach about Native American culture and Folklore. ( )
  lmhudson | Nov 16, 2012 |
In this beautifully illustrated folktale a spirit called Kokopelli appears at night to play his flute, sing his song, and dance with the creatures of the desert. They dance all night long until the sun begins to rise and Kokopelli fades into the sunrise waiting to reappear the next night. I liked this tale, it is very uplifting and it teaches us the beliefs of some Native Americans, I would read it to highlight culture in a lesson. ( )
  jrlandry1410 | Oct 27, 2011 |
The Night Dancer attracts and somewhat entrances animals and children in following him while playing music at night until morning.

The book would be useful in a discussion about folklore and make connections with any personal family stories passed down from earlier generations. ( )
  Jill.Barrington | Oct 23, 2011 |
Kokopelli is a Native American mystical musician who plays melodies inviting all dessert-dwellers to join him in a dance. One by one the animals arrived to join Kokopelli. We learn what different animals live in these dessert areas, and something about them. While they walk and dance, Kokopelli sings songs about the animals, which attracts more animals. This book has a lot of rhyming, which reminds me of poetry. The illustrations use color, line, and texture to give an amazingly real looking picture. I would use this book as a read aloud because it teaches diversity within cultures. ( )
  bsalomon | Sep 27, 2011 |

A lyrical picture book poem featuring Kokopelli, the beloved humpbacked southwestern Native American god.

This lyrical poem follows Kokopelli, the god of dance and music, as he travels through the moonlit desert playing his flute and inviting the desert animals to join in his dance. Coyote, Snake, Tortoise, Javelina, Jackrabbit, Tarantula, and the sleeping children of a nearby pueblo accept his invitation, and joyously follow this pied piper of the Rio Grande in his midnight dance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

"...Marcia Vaughan's high-spirited text and best-selling illustrator Lisa Desimini's buoyant artwork create a joyous picture book that evokes the ethereal beauty of the American desert--and celebrates a most beloved figure of native folklore."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible