dismiss

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist
To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.… (more)

A gentle tale of humans, elves, dwarves, and even a dragon. Fun and light w/out the dark heaviness that pervades fantasy. More than one boys journey into manhood caused by war. Surprised to not hear from the protagonist in the last 85-pgs. Magician: Apprentice for @swordandlaser
  kenley | May 16, 2020 |
Really fun. ( )
  RFellows | Apr 29, 2020 |
Magician: Apprentice is the first book in the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, the first subseries in the very long Riftwar Cycle series. About 20 years ago, when I was a little over 20 years old, this book began my addiction to the fantasy genre. I had of course read some fantasy throughout my childhood, but I wasn’t really conscious of it as a genre, especially not a genre for adult readers, and I had never read anything like this book. I was immediately hooked and devoured the first 16 books or so, which were all that had been published at the time. Then I moved on to other things, including other fantasy works, and never went back to it. Now that another 15 books have been published and it has been proclaimed complete, I’ve decided to re-read the earlier books and continue through to the end, assuming of course that I continue to enjoy it.

I wouldn’t call the title misleading exactly, but it might lead one to expect more magic than there really is. If you expect a magic school story, that is definitely not what this is. There are very few magicians in the Kingdom, and we don’t meet many in this book. Pug is the apprentice referred to by the title. We meet him as a teenager, just before he learns that he has magical potential. We do see some spells, but Pug has trouble learning how to cast them and magic isn’t really at the forefront of the story yet. Even Pug himself becomes less of a focus later in the book when we start following other characters. I enjoyed all the point-of-view characters. The book consists of coming-of-age stories, politics, strategy, and battles. The world is kind of Tolkien-like in that we have elves and dwarves and goblins, but the story did not remind me of Lord of the Rings at all and the world has its own fully-fleshed-out political structure and geography.

Since it has been so long since I’ve read this, I remembered very few details. The main thing I had remembered were some of the characters. I remembered a bit of the main story, and some of the plot details did come back to me as I read, but much of it was as if I were reading it for the first time. I was worried that this wouldn’t hold up to my memories of it now that I have a lot more epic fantasy under my belt, but it was as good as I remembered and I think I probably appreciated it for different reasons this time around also.

I was surprised to realize that this is kind of a feel-good, comfort-read type book. I hadn’t noticed that the first time around, maybe because I’ve read a lot more books with darker tones since then. Pug is an orphan, but he’s not a mistreated or abused orphan as is so common in epic fantasy. He has good friends, the adults in the story are not cruel or oblivious, and he is not abused or ridiculed or ignored. Most of the rulers we meet are good people who rule with wisdom and concern for their people. Everybody mostly gets along, with just a few minor rivalries. This is a book full of people you can respect, and I really enjoyed that. I enjoy the dark books too, where it’s the main character and maybe a couple close friends alone against a cruel, dark world, but this was a nice change of pace.

I’m very happy that I’ve finally started this series again; I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time. There were a few places here and there where my interest faded a little, but they didn’t last long. I’m rating it at 4.5 stars and rounding up to 5 on Goodreads. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Aug 24, 2019 |
Epic tale, of two young boys, Pug a Magician apprentice and Tomas hes best friend and adopted brother. Epic tale, reminiscent of Tolkien. Many elements reminded me of other stories. This first installment is their beginning from boys to apprentices and the start of the Riftwar that changes not only their lives but their entire Kingdom. I read the author's preferred edition published in 1992
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Raymond E. Feist needs a really good editor. It could be good, but they need to make it like 1/3 as long. There are so many irrelevant characters and details. ( )
  gregrr | Oct 30, 2018 |

Raymond Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glass, Bryan J. L.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

A boy's will is the wind's will, And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts. – Longfellow, My Lost Youth
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This worrying about the future is a dry sort of work. I think it would be benefited by a mug of strong ale.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,227,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible