Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist
adventure (12) American (8) Book 1 (12) ebook (12) epic (15) epic fantasy (16) fantasy (730) favorites (8) Feist (25) fiction (204) high fantasy (21) krondor (13) magic (55) magicians (11) Midkemia (50) mmpb (11) novel (25) own (20) owned (9) paperback (26) Raymond Feist (13) read (56) Riftwar (177) science fiction (40) series (46) sf (12) sff (35) to-read (57) unread (22) wizards (13)

Cardboard. The characters were cardboard, the conversation was wooden, and the story was derivative. This book has sat in my to-read pile for ages, and now that I finally got around to it, I really wanted to like it. I didn't.

Bummer. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos. ( )
  MiaSquires | Feb 21, 2014 |
I ended up buying the second in the series before I even finished this one so you could say I enjoyed it. I didn't read a lot of fantasy back in the day when this was released, but I'm happy to catch up now. It's certainly of it's time and I found I liked that about it. Nothing groundbreaking but entertaining and a real page turner. It does end abruptly since the first two volumes were originally released as one book, but it's not really a cliffhanger. Still, I can see myself getting back to this world soon. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Extremely enjoyable and kept my interest. A good adventure story ( )
  codewitch | Nov 10, 2013 |

Is contained in

A boy's will is the wind's will, And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts. – Longfellow, My Lost Youth
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This worrying about the future is a dry sort of work. I think it would be benefited by a mug of strong ale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553564943, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:30 -0400)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible