Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist

Magician: Apprentice (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Raymond Feist

Member:littleturtle82
Title:Magician: Apprentice
Authors:Raymond Feist
Info:
Tags:fiction, children, young adult, series, contemporary, own, fantasy, romance, 20th century, adventure, novel, politics, music, American, death, action, travel, 6th grade reading level, 940L, 4th-6th grade reading level

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist (1982)

Recently added byrudy_morin, ANK51069, MaireG, skippa, Arseny, private library, James_Patrick_Joyce, hazem99

Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
A wonderful story that should be read together with its sequel. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
The story is refreshingly new, but the writing, unfortunately, is not. The battle scenes are long and filled with climax destroying over-description, the women - when there are any - are poorly written and have no personality whatsoever, Pug and Tomas - although fun - are already dripping with weepy manhood. Maybe fantasy HAS to be written this way, with weak women and men who are weepy muscle bound monsters of feisty hormones and complication. ( )
  ooshwiggity | Feb 1, 2015 |
It's been awhile since I've indulged in a really good book-binge, and this was a good one to do it with. I read this book before, long ago, and barely remembered it. During this re-read, I remembered bits and pieces, but basically this was close to a fresh read.

Feist can craft a good story. This is not complex writing. Indeed, as I read through Magician: Apprentice I was often pulled out of the story by the often clumsy text. I don't think I read Feist for his language, or his sentence structure.... I read him because he's just... fun.

Fantasy, pure and simple, with a dash of interstellar something or other (aliens!) to make things interesting. Pug is a great character, and so is Tomas; we leave them in dire circumstances at the end of this novel. I've read enough other Feist to know that both boys just get more interesting as the series continues.

A masterwork? No. But an excellent way to binge away a winter's weekend. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Jan 25, 2015 |
An average fantasy book. Nothing special here. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |

Is contained in

A boy's will is the wind's will, And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts. – Longfellow, My Lost Youth
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This worrying about the future is a dry sort of work. I think it would be benefited by a mug of strong ale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553564943, Mass Market Paperback)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:56 -0400)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,906,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible