Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist
3,203None1,733 (3.99)77
adventure (12) American (8) Book 1 (12) ebook (12) epic (15) epic fantasy (15) fantasy (724) favorites (8) Feist (25) fiction (203) high fantasy (21) krondor (12) magic (52) magicians (11) Midkemia (49) mmpb (11) novel (25) own (20) owned (9) paperback (26) Raymond Feist (13) read (56) Riftwar (177) science fiction (41) series (46) sf (12) sff (33) to-read (50) unread (22) wizards (12)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos. ( )
  MiaSquires | Feb 21, 2014 |
I ended up buying the second in the series before I even finished this one so you could say I enjoyed it. I didn't read a lot of fantasy back in the day when this was released, but I'm happy to catch up now. It's certainly of it's time and I found I liked that about it. Nothing groundbreaking but entertaining and a real page turner. It does end abruptly since the first two volumes were originally released as one book, but it's not really a cliffhanger. Still, I can see myself getting back to this world soon. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Extremely enjoyable and kept my interest. A good adventure story ( )
  codewitch | Nov 10, 2013 |
The first time I read this I was completely enthralled, and gave it a solid five stars. My fantasy repertoire was seriously lacking back in those days, and I instantly fell in love with all that is Midkemia. The second time around I still loved it, but found I had to drop the rating to a four. It’s not that I loved it any less… I’m not sure what exactly happened. It’s just now that I have more experience with fantasy, and now that I know what else is out there, it was hard to give it a solid five star “It was Amazing!” rating. But it’s definitely four and a half!

The good: I love the characters. Pug and Thomas and Fantus the Firedrake; Amos Trask and Anita during their short interludes; Feist did an excellent job of making me feel connected to the characters, invested in their stories. I also love the world. Traditional though it may be, with elves and goblins and dwarves and trolls; it was very well done which makes all the difference. And the plot? Although it does start out seeming like a traditional quest type fantasy novel, there are plenty of twist and turns along the road that make set it apart from others of its type.

The bad: I’m not even sure I can name any bad.. I’m drawing a blank. I pretty much loved it through and through.

Overall, four and a half stars. I’m interested to see if my other ratings stay at five stars or drop to four as well, as I continue on with my reread with the rest of the series. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Is contained in

A boy's will is the wind's will, And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts. – Longfellow, My Lost Youth
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This worrying about the future is a dry sort of work. I think it would be benefited by a mug of strong ale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553564943, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:30 -0400)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible