Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist
Member:littleturtle82
Title:Magician: Apprentice
Authors:Raymond Feist
Info:
Tags:fiction, children, young adult, series, contemporary, own, fantasy, romance, 20th century, adventure, novel, politics, music, American, death, action, travel, 6th grade reading level, 940L, 4th-6th grade reading level

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist (1982)

This book is not a stand alone. I repeat. THIS BOOK IS NOT A STAND ALONE. If you pick it up with that intention, you will be sorely disappointed because, though not a cliffhanger, the ending offers very little resolution, if you can say it offers any at all. You will need to keep reading the series to find out what happens which is driving me a little nuts right now because I'm suffering from an inability to find the second book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, however and found it to be a wonderful re-introduction to the world of Fantasy. Feist takes the reader into a land that sounds like it was plucked from Mideval times, complete with castles, princes and princesses, elves, forests filled with bands of cut throats and, of course uncomfortable tension between the ruling class that could cause some trouble until outside invaders start to show up. It was a delightful change of pace, even if some of the names were a little odd or tough to figure out. I really wish some of the characters, like Pug and Thomas for example, didn't drop off the face of the earth... errr... Kingdom, but I'm sure they'll be back somewhere in one of the next books.

The only downside I found, other than some characters disappearing from the story line for long stretches at a time, was that we didn't really get a lot about Pug becoming a magician. From the title of the novel, I figured that would play a larger role, but the last third of the book or so didn't have Pug in it much at all, let alone him working on his apprenticeship. I also wish some things had been explained a little better, like the golden armor.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend it, and I hope to find the second book in the saga soon.
  cebellol | May 3, 2016 |
This is the book that started me reading again. I had read a lot as a kid, way beyond my supposed reading age, and the I stopped. For over a year, I read nothing. This from a kid who had read the back of the cereal box... Magician piqued my curiosity (Apprentice was released in the UK as one volume with Master) and started me off on my journey. Now I read a book a week, and have written three in two years. I blame you, Mr. Feist! ( )
  michaelbolan | Apr 29, 2016 |
Sometimes you randomly pull a book out of the wall in a bookstore and you get lucky.

12 years later I've read virtually everything he's written, and every spring I am at the bookstore waiting for his new book the day it comes out.

This is the first book he wrote about the world of Midkemia. More than just fantasy... underlying discussion of religion and the nature of good and evil. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 27, 2016 |
Cardboard. The characters were cardboard, the conversation was wooden, and the story was derivative. This book has sat in my to-read pile for ages, and now that I finally got around to it, I really wanted to like it. I didn't.

Bummer. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
This is simply one of the most epic must read Fantasy series of all time. It has an amazing width and breadth, characters you will remember twenty years from now, mostly Jimmy the Hand and Pug, and is just the beginning of a much larger story. If you were looking for a book to inspire a solid year of reading you could get wrapped up in this series and still not be done, but not through lack of trying.

Quite simply a young boy discovers he is something more than anyone else. He has a source of power that means instead of reading a spell from paper, which is the traditional form of magic at the time, he envisions it in his heads, performs a higher level of magic and saves the life of a princess. Thus begins his journey.

For Pug this is just the beginning and if you want to follow him until he is an old man that has lived many lives you have that option. Enjoy. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |

Raymond Feistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glass, Bryan J. L.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

A boy's will is the wind's will, And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts. – Longfellow, My Lost Youth
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This worrying about the future is a dry sort of work. I think it would be benefited by a mug of strong ale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553564943, Mass Market Paperback)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to being again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:56 -0400)

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,824,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible