Magician: Master by Raymond E. Feist

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
Holy cow, you guys. I can't believe what Feist has done with this series. I absolutely LOVED the first book and I was worried I wouldn't feel the same magic from the second book. However, I was wrong. Feist does an amazing job creating two completely different worlds feel so real and complex. There is one scene that stands out to me the most is when Pug (who goes by another name) travels up a tall tower and has visions of the past. I don't want to go into too much detail to avoid spoiling it, but Feist really painted a cosmic picture in my head and it is something I won't forget.

In the first book, Pug and Tomas are just boys who are charming and a fun group to follow. However, in this book they are no longer boys. We see these characters grow into powerful men. Honestly, I was very sad when this happened. They are both SO different from the first book. But that should be expected because of the emotional and physical turmoil they have to face. I mean, Pug becomes a slave for five years in a foreign land. If anything makes you lose your innocence it is probably that! Another part of this book that I really love is the political differences of Midkemia and Kelewan. Both see one another as barbaric. Add in the complex political structure of the Tsurani and you've got one hell of a stand off. It is fun to see each side's point of view. Basically, this book is great.

In summation, if you like epic fantasy with great characters, fun battles, and two very different worlds to explore then this is the series for you. It has been a LONG time since I've found a series that I can just DIVE in to and really get invested in the story. I will take a break from this series so I don't get burnt out, but I definitely have plans to finish this series. ( )
  brittanysmack | Feb 23, 2015 |
Much better than the first book, Feist finally gets into honest-to-god plot and turns the 500+ pages of exposition into something fun. His women still fucking suck, but the new male characters are pretty cool. I like the aliens. Magnus is "totes hot," and I'm worried that Pug will never be as compelling. I'm also worried that Feist is going to fixate on Prince Arutha, who he was getting an obvious boner for in this book, and force him into the angsty silent and frustratingly brilliant and impossible to kill protagonist we all saw coming. ( )
  ooshwiggity | Feb 1, 2015 |
He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...
There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay withing him. And he took his place in an ancient struggle against an evil Enemy older than time itself. ( )
  MiaSquires | Feb 21, 2014 |
As much as I loved 'Apprentice' this was a worthy follow up & ended satisfactorily. Oh, there's plenty more story to be told, but I appreciated that I could put the series down for a while. I didn't feel that way when I finished 'Apprentice'.

I think I'm going to pick up the Empire trilogy when I start to re-read the series again, although I'm waiting to see what Mr. Feist has to say about the matter. (He's doing a Q&A in the Fantasy Book Club Series group where we're reading this now.) I may or may not pay attention to his recommendation depending on his reasoning. I certainly don't think I'll wait until July, when the group has it scheduled to read.
;-) ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Jun 19, 2013 |
This was my second time reading Magician: Master, and I think I loved it just as much as the first time around. I read (and am rating) this separately from Magician: Apprentice, despite the fact that both books were originally published as one volume. Partly that's because I'm doing this as a group read, and it was easier length wise to tackle one volume per month. But more so it's because that's how I originally read it. When I first picked up Apprentice, I had no idea it was only half of the story. And then when I continued on with Master, I didn't know it was just the second half of the first book, split off when published in paperback form. I found all of that out later of course, but staying true to my roots I read them as I originally discovered them, as two separate stories.

I rated Apprentice 4 stars - I really liked it, but since it was only half the story it was obviously lacking in a good conclusion. This volume is definitely 5 stars, and I'd say as a whole, both volumes together get 5 stars.

I love the growth we see in Pug and Thomas in Master, among other characters. These two are favorites of mine, for obvious reasons. They've come so far since the boys we first meet in Apprentice, and although a lot the details of that growth is skipped over, I found that I don't really mind. It's a long road to where they are from where they started; I don't need to read about every single second of the journey, just the pit stops. And the pit stops was what I got.

I also love all of the new information we get about Kelewan. We learn a lot about Midkemia in Apprentice, but Master is definitely Kelewan heavy, which was fine by me!

There's not much else to say! This is Feist at his best, what hooked me into his world and got him onto my list of all time favorites. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Is contained in

We were, fair queen, Two lads that thought there was no more behind But such a day to-morrow as to-day, And to be boy eternal. – Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act I, Scene 2
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The dying slave lay screaming.

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands... Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world. There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay within him. And he took his place in an ancient struggle against an evil Enemy older than time itself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553564935, Mass Market Paperback)

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:36 -0400)

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world. There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay withing him. And he took his place in an ancient struggle against an evil Enemy older than time itself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,728,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible