Magician: Master by Raymond E. Feist

English (21)  French (1)  All languages (22)
He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...
There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay withing him. And he took his place in an ancient struggle against an evil Enemy older than time itself. ( )
  MiaSquires | Feb 21, 2014 |
As much as I loved 'Apprentice' this was a worthy follow up & ended satisfactorily. Oh, there's plenty more story to be told, but I appreciated that I could put the series down for a while. I didn't feel that way when I finished 'Apprentice'.

I think I'm going to pick up the Empire trilogy when I start to re-read the series again, although I'm waiting to see what Mr. Feist has to say about the matter. (He's doing a Q&A in the Fantasy Book Club Series group where we're reading this now.) I may or may not pay attention to his recommendation depending on his reasoning. I certainly don't think I'll wait until July, when the group has it scheduled to read.
;-) ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Jun 19, 2013 |
This was my second time reading Magician: Master, and I think I loved it just as much as the first time around. I read (and am rating) this separately from Magician: Apprentice, despite the fact that both books were originally published as one volume. Partly that's because I'm doing this as a group read, and it was easier length wise to tackle one volume per month. But more so it's because that's how I originally read it. When I first picked up Apprentice, I had no idea it was only half of the story. And then when I continued on with Master, I didn't know it was just the second half of the first book, split off when published in paperback form. I found all of that out later of course, but staying true to my roots I read them as I originally discovered them, as two separate stories.

I rated Apprentice 4 stars - I really liked it, but since it was only half the story it was obviously lacking in a good conclusion. This volume is definitely 5 stars, and I'd say as a whole, both volumes together get 5 stars.

I love the growth we see in Pug and Thomas in Master, among other characters. These two are favorites of mine, for obvious reasons. They've come so far since the boys we first meet in Apprentice, and although a lot the details of that growth is skipped over, I found that I don't really mind. It's a long road to where they are from where they started; I don't need to read about every single second of the journey, just the pit stops. And the pit stops was what I got.

I also love all of the new information we get about Kelewan. We learn a lot about Midkemia in Apprentice, but Master is definitely Kelewan heavy, which was fine by me!

There's not much else to say! This is Feist at his best, what hooked me into his world and got him onto my list of all time favorites. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
Another heroic romance, one of my favorite types of reading, Magician-Master is the one that I reacted to most strongly of the 5 book series. Feist wrote this as his second novel, but, from the beginning, to me, seems to have had a handle on what makes a story good. Pug and Tomas are two young boys who set out on their journeys to adulthood in quite different ways. Pug, an orphan who was fostered by Tomas' parents becomes an apprentice magician while Tomas, taller and stronger, enters service as a guardsman.
Thus Feist begins a "coming of age" tale in which a duchy on the far western reaches of a kingdom is where an attack from another world begins in Magician: Apprentice. Here in the second book, Pug has been captured and transported to the world of Kelewan where his magical talents are also discovered and then honed. The Riftwar continues and grows while Pug grows in his mastery of the magic arts. Indeed, it was fortunate for him that he is captured, as it is only in Kelewan that his skills could have been teased out into their fullness. The 2 thirteen year olds have now been separated by events and Tomas has also gained a certain magical power that pushes him to become a champion of the world of Elves and ultimately to become the consort of the Elven Queen. Meanwhile, Pug too has been married and become a magician of notable power.

This series will remain one of my favorites, alongside The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, the Chronicles of Narnia by Lewis and the Belgariad by Eddings. ( )
  thedenathome | Apr 24, 2013 |
The second half of Magician became increasingly dark as I approached the climactic end to the Kelewan-Midkemian Riftwar. I observed definite growth to full maturity between Pug and Tomas, and perhaps that growth from boyhood through young adult into adulthood is what I lament - the rite of passage of most normal young boys, though Pug and Tomas could never be mistaken for normal. While everything seemed wondrous and adventurous in the first half of the novel (also known as Magician: Apprentice), I felt the oppression of circumstances, the collision of events and the machinations of a magician previously thought trustworthy. Not all was dark and gloomy, yet I didn't walk away from this book thinking it ended on a resoundingly happy note.

A couple of scenes stood out as a bit over-the-top and stretched the envelope of believability: Milamber's reaction to the Imperial Games and Tomas' ability to overcome a dead dreaded god-like being with his boyish mental fortitude. And I can't deny I felt gut-punched by the eleventh-hour betrayal by Macros.

For a debut work, I applaud Raymond Feist for a magnificent tale and the beginning to a well-loved fantasy epic. I'm continuing the Riftwar Saga by reading Silverthorn this month. ( )
  mossjon | Mar 31, 2013 |

Is contained in

We were, fair queen, Two lads that thought there was no more behind But such a day to-morrow as to-day, And to be boy eternal. – Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act I, Scene 2
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The dying slave lay screaming.

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands... Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world. There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay within him. And he took his place in an ancient struggle against an evil Enemy older than time itself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553564935, Mass Market Paperback)

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:36 -0400)

He held the fate of two worlds in his hands...Once he was an orphan called Pug, apprenticed to a sorcerer of the enchanted land of Midkemia.. Then he was captured and enslaved by the Tsurani, a strange, warlike race of invaders from another world. There, in the exotic Empire of Kelewan, he earned a new name--Milamber. He learned to tame the unnimagined powers that lay withing him. And he took his place in an ancient struggle against an evil Enemy older than time itself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,978,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible