Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches'…

Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels (edition 2009)

by Sarah Wendell, Candy Tan

Member:Kaddele
Title:Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels
Authors:Sarah Wendell
Other authors:Candy Tan
Info:Fireside Books (2009), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:romance, non-fiction

Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels by Sarah Wendell

Overall? Clever, but no match for the Smart Bitches website. I'd flipped through the book indecisively several times before deciding that, yes, I needed a copy to come home with me. The main reason is Chapter WTF: Defending the Genre, which starts on page 120, contains some cool history and feminist viewpoints, and wraps up with an expert opinion on dealing with friends who are derisive about romances:

The sad truth is that anyone who presumes romances are all dumb, and that the readers thereof are as well, will never appreciate the genre unless they read one. They most likely will never do so, or won't recognized the romance for what it is because it's not [sic] wrapped up in a more attractive and socially acceptable cover. If a romance is marketed outside the romance bookshelf, then that book "transcends the genre" and doesn't count anyway. So those people will go on putting down your reading material because smart women don't read romance in their worldview.

So you know what? Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em hard. They can read whatever they want, and so can you.

Also, I want to track down a number of the romances name checked by the authors and the romance authors whom they interviewed along the way. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
This is a very funny, very informative book about romance novels for romance readers by romance enthusiasts. The two "smart bitches" run a website called "Smart Bitches Trashy Books" and credit it with "all of the romance, none of the bullshit". That last phrase is a fair summary of the book, though one would have to add "laugh out loud funny". The book examines the structure of the romance novel, looks at subgenres, discusses the disdain in which romance novels are widely held, and takes a look at the future of romance. (Note: one thing I learned is that romance is Big Business. Many may look down on the genre, but it makes a ton of money for publishers). It is snarky, joyful, and altogether a good read. ( )
  annbury | Feb 2, 2018 |
This discussion of the romance genre by two of the women behind Smart Bitches,Trashy Books is equal parts informative and tongue in cheek. They provide the history of the genre, discuss the many tropes associated with it, and explore the reasons why so many women love it and why so many women are maligned for loving it. An enjoyable read with a lot of substance, though the constant nudge, nudge humor grew tiresome by the end. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 30, 2017 |
The creators of the Smart Bitches, Trashy Books website do what they do so well. They look at the good and the bad of the romance genre; the silly, the serious, and the ludicrous. Some of the subjects are light, like bad romance covers, and "cringe-worthy plot devices", while others are serious, like rape, diversity, and plagiarism in romances. Recommended for people who read romances, or hate romances, or just don't get what it's all about. But not for anyone who is offended by obscene (but amazingly creative) language, or by explicit (and weird) sex. It was a little bit surprising to discover that the kind of romance that I enjoy reading is so old that it doesn't even qualify as what they refer to as "Old Skool". I had almost as much fun reading this as the authors seem to have had writing it. ( )
1 vote SylviaC | Nov 24, 2015 |
I loved this book so much, i only read a few pages each night so i'd have something to look forward to. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |

Sarah Wendellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tan, Candymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Renaud, JoanneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Candy's dedication: To my sister, Honey, the original smart bitch who loves trashy books
Sarah's dedication: To my husband, Adam, for being my romance every day
Welcome! No, no, don't hide your romance novel.

With insider advice for writing romances, fun games to discover your inner Viking warrior, and interviews with famous romance authors, shows that while some romance novels are silly -- maybe even tawdry -- they can also be intelligent, savvy, feminist, and fabulous, just like their readers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,628,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible