A Place in Normandy by Nicholas Kilmer

A Place in Normandy

by Nicholas Kilmer

I wanted to like this book more than I did. Parts of the books made me feel like I was walking the lanes of the French towns, but some of the book was a bit dry and boring. I enjoyed the photos of the house and the neighboring places and the art. I guess I just don't have much to say about this book which means I was somewhat disappointed. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Apr 25, 2014 |
Nice book about travel and family and home repair and art. ( )
  Harrod | Nov 27, 2012 |
"[The last time I saw the Friesekes thay had moved to Normandy. There my wife and I lunched with them in their] damp, moldy, and wholly colorful farmhouse, still reminiscent of an era of tranquility." - Homer Saint-Gaudens, The American Artist and His Times
For my mother, Frances Frieseke Kilmer. For Kenton Kilmer, my father, and Sarah O'Bryan Frieseke, my grandmother, both of dear and blessed memory.
We're asking for trouble, aren't we?

In 1920, Nicholas Kilmer's grandfather Frederick Frieseke, one of the preeminent American impressionists, purchased a farmhouse in Mesnil, a Norman town almost completely (to quote a local taxi driver) sunken away dans la nature. Until his death in 1939 he lived and painted there in the company of his wife and daughter. Long after the war that devastated Normandy, when Kilmer's grandmother's body was carried back from America to be buried alongside her husband in Mesnil, the family realized that they still owned the remnants of a large old Norman house standing amid many acres of orchard, woodland, and pasture. A Place in Normandy is a chronicle of renewed love and restoration, "subtly catching the rhythms of life and the flavor of an American family at ease in another culture." (0-8050-5532-0)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805055320, Paperback)

A Place in Normandy is the story of the author's struggle over whether to retain his grandfather's home in Normandy-, France--a place that evokes enchanted childhood memories--or sell it. The farmhouse was the place where his grandfather, Impressionist painter Frederick Frieseke, created some of his greatest works. (His other grandfather was the poet Joyce Kilmer.) Nicholas Kilmer recalls several days in late spring he spent preparing the house for summer renters. As he considers his wife's arguments for selling the house, he weighs his own attachment to its quaint quirks, the beautiful surrounding countryside and the history and traditions the family home embodies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:29 -0400)

"After nearly being killed by both a hired hit man and her former secretary, Agatha Raisin could use some low-key cases. So when Robert Smedley walks through the door, determined to prove that his wife is cheating, Raisin Investigations immediately offers to help. Trouble is, Agatha hates divorce cases - especially when the client is as pompous as Smedley - but she has a business to run and she's not about to turn away a paying customer. Unfortunately for Agatha, Mabel Smedley appears to be the perfect wife - young and pretty and a regular volunteer at church." "Although Smedley's case doesn't look promising, Agatha's attentions are diverted when she stumbles across the body of missing teenager Jessica Bradley. In a sudden gesture of kindness (and good public relations), Agatha offers to investigate Jessica's death free of charge."."Agatha's two biggest cases are turned upside down when Robert Smedley is poisoned. The prime suspect, his sainted wife, Mabel, immediately hires Agatha to find the real killer." "With the help of her old friend Sir Charles Fraith and some newly hired staff, Agatha Raisin sets off on another crime-solving adventure in the English Cotswolds."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible