The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

The French Lieutenant's Woman (1969)

by John Fowles

5,25992842 (3.84)1 / 366

English (88)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (92)
I don't know what to say about this... My interest was immediately engaged and I found Fowles' commentary on the story and characters along the way interesting but by the end of the book, I discovered that I didn't understand the character of Sarah Woodruff at all! I also thought that the dual ending was unsatisfying. ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 6, 2018 |
Am Anfang etwas schwierig, in die Sprache reinzukommen, und ALAS, die Gedichtauszüge etc. am Beginn der Kapitel hab ich wohl nie verstanden, aber dann wird's als Geschichte ziemlich spannend und ich arrangiere mich auch mit der eingreifenden Stimme des Autoren. Sarah bleibt leider nervend enigmatisch und das Ende - musste mich darüber informieren - ziemlich existentialistisch. Keine Rollen, Keine göttliche Fügung, jeder kämpft für sich für seinen Vorteil, so ist das Leben, deal with it! ob das nun so erbaulich ist als Fazit...aber it wasn't wasted time. ( )
  sisupre | Jan 20, 2018 |
I didn't love this book. I found the author's occasional direct address to the reader interesting at first, but it grew irksome after a while. Ditto to the alternate ending to certain scenarios. I felt a bit as if I was being toyed with, and coupled with characters who weren't particularly likable or even interesting, the going grew rough long before the book was over. Not my cup of tea. ( )
  mrsmig | Jan 19, 2018 |
A rather odd novel. It's historical dramatic fiction set in the late 19th century in England, written with touches of 20th-century meta-fiction. It seems the author was unable to decide what it is, so it ends up being neither fish nor fowl. ( )
  TFleet | Jul 25, 2017 |
Postmodern novels are often not really my thing but I quite enjoyed this novel. The Victorian setting and multiple possible endings were enjoyable. Strongly recommend. ( )
  brakketh | Jul 3, 2017 |

Fowles, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fuente, Ana María de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velde, Frédérique van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every emancipation is a restoration of the human world and of human relationships to man himself.
Marx, Zur Judenfrage(1844)
An easterly is the most disagreeable wind in Lyme Bay - Lyme Bay being that largest bite from the underside of England's outstretched south-western leg - and a person of curiosity could at once have deduced several strong possibilities about the pair who began to walk down the quay at Lyme Regis, the small but ancient eponym of the inbite, one incisively sharp and blustery morning in the late March of 1867.
"Fiction usually pretends to conform to the reality: the writer puts the conflicting wants and then describes the fight - but in fact fixes the fight, letting the want he himself favors win. And we judge writers of fiction both by the skill they show in fixing the fights (in other words in persuading us that they were not fixed) and by the kind of fighter they fix in favor of: the good one, the tragic one, the evil one, the funny one and so on."

"That is the great distinction between the sexes. Men see objects, women see the relationship between objects. Whether the objects need each other, love each other, match each other. It is an extra dimension of feeling we men are without and one that makes war abhorrent to all real women—and absurd . . . War is a psychosis caused by an inability to see relationships."
When Charles left Sarah on her cliff ledge, I ordered him to walk straight back to Lyme Regis. But he did not; he gratuitously turned and went down to the Dairy.
- p. 81

As part of Back Bay's ongoing effort to make the works of John Fowles available in uniform trade paperback editions, two major works in the Fowles canon are reissued to coincide with the publication of Wormholes, the author's long-awaited new collection of essays and occasional writings.

Perhaps the most beloved of Fowles's internationally bestselling works, The French Lieutenant's Woman is a feat of seductive storytelling that effectively invents anew the Victorian novel. "Filled with enchanting mysteries and magically erotic possibilities" (New York Times), the novel inspired the hugely successful 1981 film starring Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons and is today universally regarded as a modern classic.

In A Maggot, originally published in 1985, Fowles reaches back to the eighteenth century to offer readers a glimpse into the future. Time magazine called the result "hypnotic....A remarkable achievement. Part detective story, part crackling courtroom drama....An immensely rich and readable novel".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:53 -0400)

While in Lyme Regis to visit his fiancee, Ernestina Freeman, Charles Smithson, a 32-year-old paleontologist, becomes fascinated by the mysterious Sarah Woodruff. A fallen woman said to have been jilted by a French officer, Sarah is a pariah to the well-bred society that Charles and Ernestina are a part of. While searching for fossils in a wooded coastal area, Charles encounters Sarah alone, and his curiosity and pity for her soon evolve into other emotions. It is not clear who seduces whom, but when another opportunity presents itself, Charles embraces Sarah passionately. Shortly thereafter, Sarah disappears, having been dismissed from domestic employment by the tyrannical do-gooder Mrs. Poultenay. Charles finds her in a room in Exeter, where he declares and demonstrates his love. Inspired by his image of Sarah as a valiant rebel against Victorian conventions, Charles rejects the constricting, respectable life Ernestina represents for him. He breaks off their engagement and is harassed with legal action for breach of contract. Meanwhile, Sarah vanishes again, and Charles spends 20 months scouring the world for her, finally tracing her to the lodgings of Dante Gabriel Rossetti in London.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,516,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible