Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Green Hills of Earth by Robert A.…

The Green Hills of Earth

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Future History (Collection #2 (9, 13 - 20))

Recently added byprivate library, CindyBooks, hugoprev, ttuckerman, EmmaKG, Dvdvnr, nowviskie, KateNash
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (21)  Esperanto (1)  All languages (22)
The Green Hills of Earth by Robert A. Heinlein

My first 2019 read; only 74 to go to achieve my 2019 reading challenge. Although this short story collection was published in the early 50s, it includes fourteen science fiction stories, part of his Future History series, written in the 40s. Most are set on space ships, space stations or in a moon colony. Most of these stories deal with the psychological and social impact of living in space rather than the technology itself. For a full review, please click here. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 3, 2019 |
A mixed bag, in my opinion. There were several stories that I really enjoyed - particularly "The Long Watch", and "It's Great to be Back". I think I appreciated the Long Watch the most - it fits in with the heroic sacrifice that I enjoy reading about. In this case, Heinlein makes the situation and our hero truly heroic and the rewards are befitting. In "It's Great to be Back", I could tell almost right away what was going to happen - possibly because of my own ex-patriot experience. When you leave, you're like everyone else. But the leaving changes you so that coming back is not always a welcome homecoming. Of course, returning to your ex-pat life isn't exactly like you never left, either. ( )
1 vote helver | Oct 16, 2017 |
Some of RAH's best ( )
1 vote bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A good, better than average collection of SciFi short stories, written post WW II, yet somehow not terribly dated. Several of them were intriguing, and worthy of a future reread. Recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Jan 2, 2017 |
The stories were originally published in a variety of magazines between 1941 to 1949. I would expect them to feel incredibly dated, and elements of these stories are laughably outdated; yet for the most part they hold up fairly well as stories. It isn't easy or possible to fit myself back into a teenager in the late 60's to know why this collection caught my interest so much. "The Green Hills of Earth" was a great title. I could not recall at all what these stories were about, not even a favorite one, except that story, The Green Hills one, did have some elements to it that I did indeed remember these 46 or 47 years later.

These stories are really only of interest to someone who likes better than the average early moon and solar system exploration stories from that long ago pre-spaceflight time. I'm glad I re-read it even though it no longer packs a punch. When I first read this Armstrong had just walked upon the moon, and that was a marvelous time to be excited about spaceflight. Even then however these stories would have been wildly out of date. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 30, 2016 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Melo, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meltzoff, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafran, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Parents
Delilah and the Space-Rigger - Sure, we had trouble building Space Station One - but the trouble was people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671578537, Mass Market Paperback)

Heinlein's "Future History" Epic: On the Moon, Mars and Space Station One, it's pure Heinlein all the way in a stunning vision of adventure and courage set against a masterfully realized future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:11 -0400)

The Green Hills of Earth is a collection of short stories from one of the masters of science fiction who has held readers spellbound for over thirty years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible