Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog

Fairy Tale (edition 2009)

by Cyn Balog

Member:readingdate
Title:Fairy Tale
Authors:Cyn Balog
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Hardcover, 256 pages

Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog

My ARC says Fairy Lust, but I think Fairy Tale is definitely a better title. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
This one drove me crazy. The narrator kept saying things like, “I don’t want to sound shallow” and then proceeding to sound incredibly shallow. I think the same story from Pip’s point of view would have been fascinating; as it was, I just wanted to slap everyone. [Oct. 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
A Fairy Tale is one of the most creative books i have ever read. Cyn Balog makes the characters that spring to life.Morgan,is a girl who is living the high school dream, Dating the quarterback of the high school football team,and having friends that will do anything for her. until something comes in the way and slowly tears things apart.

Not only was the beginning and middle of the book good,but the ending tied it all together. Balog could not have ended the story any better. It leaves you with a thought that inspires you and also makes you want to cry. You know a book is good when it effects your emotions.It is a great example of the phrase if you love something you have to let it go. ( )
  ctmsabmo | Dec 20, 2011 |
What an amazing and refreshing story! I quickly fell in love and knew that once I started this book I just had to finish. Nothing disappointed me. All the characters were great and the ending, even better.

The story line in this book is very entertaining. We have this guy who is turning into a fairy and his girlfriend is doing her best to save him. I love their love for each other. It was refreshing and pure. Nothing can touch it or take it away. I also adore how much the characters grow and mature. I like how it happened right before the readers eyes. It wasn't fast but wasn't slow either. It was great reading the book and getting to know the characters.

The love. I am such a big romantic and romance it just blooming in this book. It wasn't a kind a love that was lusty or fake. But more of true love and sacrifice. It hits the reader right in there heart and makes you cry. You see the characters struggle but know that in the end, it is their love that will set them free.

The ending for me was just one of those endings that leaves you feeling,"awwww." Your heart has been swept away and just pumping in your chest. I adored how Ms. Balog wrote the ending and how well if fit the book. There was no bitterness or heartache. No more struggling or anger. Just a real, pure, true love. Remember real love is patient. It does not envy...it keeps no record of wrong...It always protects, always trust, and always perseveres ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jul 29, 2011 |
The Scoop:

Morgan Sparks and Cameron Browne are the perfect couple. They've known each other forever--they live next door to each other and they even have the same birthday. Morgan is a psychic and gives readings to her fellow classmates for french fries and random favors. Cameron is the perfect male specimen and the sophomore quarterback of their high school's football team. Everything is going perfectly for this perfect couple until a week before their joint sweet sixteen party. Enter the mysterious, if goofily clumsy, Pip Merriweather. Upon Pip's arrival Cam starts acting differently--distant to Morgan, his physical prowess diminishes, oh, and he starts growing wings. As in fairy wings. Apparently Cam is a changeling that was dumped in the mortal realm because he was a sickly fairy baby and not expected to live. He did live but his older brother, and heir to the throne, did not. Now the fairy king wants his only living son to come back to the Otherworld and has sent Pip back to make the exchange. So it's up to Morgan to determine her true destiny and keep her true love with her.

My Thoughts:

Well, after my voracious reading of the Iron Fey series I was all set to dive into another fairy book with high expectations. Unfortunately, this one fell a little flat. Morgan wasn't the most appealing of characters--she was vaguely annoying with her psychic abilities and proclaiming that she was always right (and even if that's true she didn't have to be all snooty about it). And she totally defined herself by her psychic abilities and having Cam as her boyfriend. She kept proclaiming that she would be nothing without him which annoyed me to no end. When Cam starts showing signs of changing physically from human to fairy and losing his ability to get a scholarship from playing football she encourags him to find his "new thing" but she couldn't seem to do the same for herself. She did show a little backbone in her quest to find a way to keep him with her in the mortal world but other than that she was kind of wishy-washy in general. And, as in some first person narratives, we, the reader, don't see much depth in her supposed soul-mate, Cam, nor in the "exchange" student, Pip.

That being said, I did read all the way through the story anticipating what would ulitmately happen to these three and how their lives would change and evolve. I don't know that Morgan changed very much in the end--she did become a lot more confident in her psychic readings but not much else changed in her--but there were vast changes in Cam and Pip (mostly relating to their true destinies and a lot of it was physical). I also enjoyed the quirks of the secondary characters--Morgan's parents as "the world's youngest senior citizens" always looking for early-bird specials and spending their evenings watching TV Land and eating popcorn and her best girlfriend, Eden, who has a massive crush on a boy that everybody else knows is gay. This book was a quick read and, for the most part, enjoyable.
  readermarina | Jul 19, 2011 |
I wanted to like Fairy Tale; I really did. But it just failed to meet my expectations in so many ways. It seems like this is not necessarily a failure of imagination on the part of the author -- in fact, Balog has many interesting, even potentially innovative ideas -- but rather, this is a failure of execution, of writing.
added by Shortride | editBookslut, Drennan Spitzer (Sep 1, 2009)

People call me spooky.

Morgan Sparks has always known that she and her boyfriend, Cam, are made for each other. But when Cam’s cousin Pip comes to stay with the family, Cam seems depressed. Finally Cam confesses to Morgan what’s going on: Cam is a fairy. The night he was born, fairies came down and switched him with a healthy human boy. Nobody expected Cam to live, and nobody expected his biological brother, heir to the fairy throne, to die. But both things happened, and now the fairies want Cam back to take his rightful place as Fairy King.

Even as Cam physically changes, becoming more miserable each day, he and Morgan pledge to fool the fairies and stay together forever. But by the time Cam has to decide once and for all what to do, Morgan’s no longer sure what’s best for everyone, or whether her and Cam’s love can weather an uncertain future.

Morgan Sparks and her boyfriend Cam have been best friends since they were children, but just before their shared sixteenth birthday Cam confesses that he is a fairy who was switched at birth with a human child, and now the fairies want to switch them back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible