The captain's daughter, and other great…

The captain's daughter, and other great stories (edition 1936)

by Aleksandr Sergeevich Pushkin

Member:moomin
Title:The captain's daughter, and other great stories
Authors:Aleksandr Sergeevich Pushkin
Info:New York : Vintage Books, c1936.

The Captain’s Daughter and Other Stories by Alexander Pushkin

Pushkin has loomed larger in my reading experience, because he has been been a huge influence on so many of the Russian writers I love. I have not yet read Eugene Onegin, and I plan to do so. While I loved the writing on a sentence-to-sentence level, and the world-building, I felt structurally many of these stories were almost eye-rolling, O Henry-style. The last story in this book, the unfinished "The Negro of Peter the Great" was the most interesting, with the titular The Captain's Daughter coming in second. The stories in between were mostly just readable but strange, plot-twisty one-offs. Didn't even seem Pushkin was trying that hard. Yes, as I write this, that's what was bothering me: it was the feeling of an insanely talented writer not trying very hard. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |

Pushkin, Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duddington, NatalieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keane, T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My father, Andrey Petrovitch Grinyov, had in his youth served under Count Miinnich and retired with the rank of first Major in 17—.
This Work collects Alexander Pushkin's stories:

"The Captain's Daughter,"
"The Tales of Ivan Belkin,"
"The Queen of Spades,"
"Kirdjali," and
"The Negro of Peter the Great."

Please distinguish between this collection and similarly-named collections having differing contents. Thank you.

Introduction by John Bayley; Translation by Natalie Duddington

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

Famous for his enormously influential poetry and plays, Alexander Pushkin is also beloved for his short stories. This collection showcases his tremendous range, which enabled him to portray the Russian people through romance, drama, and satire. The sparkling humor of the five "Tales of Belkin" contrasts with a dark fable of gambling and obsessive greed in "The queen of spades" and the masterful historical novella, "The Captain's daughter," a story of love and betrayal set during a rebellion in the time of Catherine the Great.… (more)

Legacy Library: Alexander Pushkin

Alexander Pushkin has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Alexander Pushkin's legacy profile.

See Alexander Pushkin's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,533,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible