The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
21,63721361 (4.27)1 / 171
Member:miriamelise
Title:The Chronicles of Narnia
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Hardcover, 784 pages

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Author)

adventure (160) allegory (236) Aslan (77) British (86) C.S. Lewis (297) children (353) children's (555) children's books (81) children's fiction (122) children's literature (332) Christian (228) Christian Fiction (114) Christianity (230) classic (349) classics (257) fantasy (2,819) fiction (1,927) Lewis (88) literature (158) magic (164) Narnia (467) novel (169) own (140) read (250) religion (192) series (204) sff (95) to-read (127) YA (120) young adult (266)
    The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: There is magic and there are journeys, mythical beasts and young protagonists, moral judgements to be made and courage to be demonstrated; while the language is more adult, Earthsea is as vivid a world as Narnia and a place you will want to re-visit.
    The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set by Garth Nix (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: This is a rather darker version on the same door-between-the-worlds theme, where the magic resides in the north of a thinly-disguised United Kingdom reached by way of a Wall.
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both Narnia and Willows feature anthropomorphized animal heroes who nevertheless retain the quirks of their species. The narrative voice is humorous and quintessentially British. Both stories also include spiritual/religious undertones. Willows predates Narnia by over forty years and was a big influence on Lewis (he even wrote a poem with some of Grahame's characters in it).… (more)
    The Book of the Dun Cow by Jr. Walter Wangerin (jpers36)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Jannes)
    Jannes: The Magicians would not exist if it wasn't for the Narnia books, and is the kind of loving deconstruction of Lewis' work and the importance us readers places in it that you will either love or hate. Give it a try.
    The Tower of Geburah by John White (lavonnas)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (cdcottam1)
    cdcottam1: Both works are beautifully mystical and fantastical! Wildwood has many of the fantastical themes of Narnia without the blatantly religious undertones while still containing good moral lessons.
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly for a more adult-based audience, but themes, situations, and character types carry over between the works enough (plus a light integration of religion) that I think the readers of one work set would be well suited for the other.… (more)
    THE CHRONICLES OF SAPTA SINDHU by Aporva kala (akheel)
    akheel: both the books chronicles the fate of their respective kingdoms and tell us a tale of valor to rise against evil.
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast, BrileyOC)
    BrileyOC: Both series provide excellent fantastical escapism as well as profound (though different) religious viewpoints.

A great compendium of Lewis's writings on the world of Narnia. Highly recommended fantasy with a Good will Conquer Evil theme. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Problematic but classic childrens' fantasy in which white upper middle-class English kids solve the problems of talking animals in magical Narnia on behalf of Aslan the thinly-veiled Christian icon. It's so easy to be dismissive, but these remain giants of the genre and were absolute staples of my childhood - much-loved, much reread (in spite of the Christian symbolism, which I eventually recognised but chose to wilfully ignore) and with many grace notes. The heavy-handed allegory and appalling depiction of the Calormenes is impossible to defend, but for most kids these are adventures about witches, giants and talking animals.

This is a lovely anniversary edition with the gorgeous Pauline Baynes paintings. ( )
  imyril | Jun 25, 2014 |
There are low points and high points to this series, but on the whole I give it a complete & full five stars. My favorite series from childhood, and one I revisit regularly. I still remember reading them for the first time. My 7-in-1 edition was read so often it split in half and I had to repurchase it. Even after you've grown up, if you haven't read the series yet, it really is a must-read. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
The man is a great storyteller, and I'll always be grateful to him for finally getting me to stop reading Misty of Chincoteague and go on to more interesting fare when I was 10, but you can't go home again: I'll never be able to read these books with the same enthrallment I felt as a child. Most disturbing is the racism (at its peak in The Horse and His Boy) although it is so cliched as to seem more silly than threatening (except for the fact that bombs are falling on the houses of actual "Calormen" now as we speak.) I wonder why it is that only left-wing writers usually get tarred with shoving their politics down your throat?

I actually think his adult fantasies are more enjoyable (or less reprehensible) now; the Perelandra trilogy works better for me. And The Screwtape Letters is a book even an atheist can read and enjoy. It's delicious. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
One of the only books I believe must be read by everyone. Beautiful writing and one of the places that, if I had Heinlein's Gay Deceiver, would be in the top 5 places I would visit. ( )
  bfgar | Apr 24, 2014 |
The greatest addition to the imperishable deposit of children's literature since the Jungle Books. Narnia takes its place forever now beside the jasper-lucent landscapes of Carroll, Andersen, MacDonald and Kipling.
added by Sylak | editAmerica, Charles A. Brady (Oct 27, 1956)

Lewis, C. S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bovenkamp-Gordeau, Madeleine van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Branagh, KennethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor de familie Kilmer
There is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child. (From The Magician's Nephew, first in chronological order)
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. (From The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, first in publication order)
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Contents: Magician's nephew -- Lion, the witch and the wardrobe -- Horse and his boy -- Prince Caspian -- Voyage of the Dawn Treader -- Silver chair -- Last battle.

Collection includes all seven unabridged novels in the series.

The edition with the ISBN 1856058387, while titled simply The Chronicles of Narnia, is actually only a 3-volume omnibus and should not be combined onto this page.

Four siblings travel to a new world through a wardrobe in an old house. The encounter a witch, a lion named Aslan and many other magical creatures. Narnia, due to the evil witch, has been in a continuous state of winter. Along with Aslan the children must work together to fulfill a prophecy and bring peace and prosperity to the land.

It was this book that first introduced to me the word "allegory". It's what I refer to every time I try to explain it to someone. Also who doesn't want to find a magical world hidden in their closet?
Seven children's tales
underpinned by magic, myth
and theology.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0066238501, Paperback)

Narnia is the land of enchantment, glory, nobility--home to the magnificent Aslan, cruel Jadis (the White Queen), heroic Reepicheep, and kind Mr. Tumnus. All the magic of C.S. Lewis's Narnia, bewitching readers for almost 50 years, is captured for the first time in this splendid deluxe edition, including The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and The Last Battle, with fabulous illustrations hand-colored by the original Narnia artist Pauline Baynes and an insightful introduction by Narnia authority Brian Sibley.

Lewis's work has cast a spell over countless readers over the years, so that once we pick up The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we don't want to stop until we've read the whole series. The Complete Chronicles makes it even easier to keep reading! The seven beloved stories have been arranged in the chronological order in which Lewis intended them to be read. Begin at the beginning, as Digory and Polly are tricked into a strange other world, which becomes, even as they watch, the great Narnia. Return again and again with four other children--Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy--who are to play such a vital role in Narnia's history. Finally, enter the whimsical land one last time to witness the end of Time, and the beginning of something new: "world within world, Narnia within Narnia." This gorgeous volume is absolutely a must-have for current and future Narnia lovers. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:44 -0400)

Journeys to the end of the world, fantastic creatures, and epic battles between good and evil -- what more could any reader ask for in one book? The book that has it all is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, written in 1949 by Clive Staples Lewis. But Lewis did not stop there. Six more books followed, and together they became known as The Chronicles of Narnia. For the past fifty years, The Chronicles of Narnia have transcended the fantasy genre to become part of the canon of classic literature. Each of the seven books is a masterpiece, drawing the reader into a land where magic meets reality, and the result is a fictional world whose scope has fascinated generations. This edition presents all seven books -- unabridged -- in one impressive volume. The books are presented here according to Lewis' preferred order, each chapter graced with an illustration by the original artist, Pauline Baynes. Deceptively simple and direct, The Chronicles of Narnia continue to captivate fans with adventures, characters, and truths that speak to readers of all ages, even fifty years after they were first published.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Current discussions

Favorite Narnia quotes in Book Quotations

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969052, 0061721085

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible