The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
24,40625445 (4.26)1 / 256
Member:miriamelise
Title:The Chronicles of Narnia
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Other authors:Pauline Baynes (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Hardcover, 784 pages

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis

The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: There is magic and there are journeys, mythical beasts and young protagonists, moral judgements to be made and courage to be demonstrated; while the language is more adult, Earthsea is as vivid a world as Narnia and a place you will want to re-visit.
    The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set by Garth Nix (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: This is a rather darker version on the same door-between-the-worlds theme, where the magic resides in the north of a thinly-disguised United Kingdom reached by way of a Wall.
    The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Jr. Wangerin (jpers36)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both Narnia and Willows feature anthropomorphized animal heroes who nevertheless retain the quirks of their species. The narrative voice is humorous and quintessentially British. Both stories also include spiritual/religious undertones. Willows predates Narnia by over forty years and was a big influence on Lewis (he even wrote a poem with some of Grahame's characters in it).… (more)
    The Tower of Geburah by John White (lavonnas)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Jannes)
    Jannes: The Magicians would not exist if it wasn't for the Narnia books, and is the kind of loving deconstruction of Lewis' work and the importance us readers places in it that you will either love or hate. Give it a try.
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast, BrileyOC)
    BrileyOC: Both series provide excellent fantastical escapism as well as profound (though different) religious viewpoints.
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (MarcusBrutus)
    MarcusBrutus: fantasy/talking animals
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (MarcusBrutus)
    MarcusBrutus: fantasy/talking animals
    The Archives of Anthropos (Set of 4) by John White (palaephata)
    palaephata: This series (there are really six) is another portal fiction that displays subtle Christian allegory. There's more fighting and less exploration of the world in White, and the reading level and content are just a little higher than that in Lewis. I'd read them about a year later.… (more)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (cdcottam1)
    cdcottam1: Both works are beautifully mystical and fantastical! Wildwood has many of the fantastical themes of Narnia without the blatantly religious undertones while still containing good moral lessons.
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Chronicles of Sapta Sindhu by Kala Aporva (akheel)
    akheel: both the books chronicles the fate of their respective kingdoms and tell us a tale of valor to rise against evil.
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly for a more adult-based audience, but themes, situations, and character types carry over between the works enough (plus a light integration of religion) that I think the readers of one work set would be well suited for the other.… (more)

English (246)  French (2)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (253)
This book is about siblings and them walking through a wardrobe into another world and trying to overcome obstacles as they go. I recommend this for jr. high and above. ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
Before I had children, I had this notion that I would read The Chronicles of Narnia to them one day. I don't know why exactly. I had no personal attachment to the series. A librarian read the first chapter of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe to our second grade class. Later, in the sixth grade, our class read a selection of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Because of my absurdly long “rat tail,” I was nicknamed Reepicheep, a moniker it took more than a decade to escape despite the fact my hair was cut the following year. I saw the recent rash of Narnia films. Though I appreciated a great many Narnian moments, none of these life events really inspired a great fondness for the story. So why I thought I needed to read these stories to my children, I have no idea. It was just something I wanted to do.

After my first son was born, I bought the hefty and beautiful The Complete Chronicles of Narnia with full color illustrations and maps. It was a gorgeous volume and it looked great on my shelf where it sat for the next ten years. Timing was everything. I was only reading the volume once, so I had to wait until my youngest was old enough to grasp the story and hopefully remember it years later, and for my eldests to not find the juvenile tale boring. Three years ago, as the Christmas season was upon us, I began reading The Magician's Nephew. We made it through the first couple tales rather quickly (given our busy and often conflicting schedules), but then it started to become a chore to read. Slowly we pushed through A Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian and then, feeling over the hump, we picked up steam. Altogether, it took three years and four months to make it through these seven stories. Here are a few thoughts on each.

The Magician's Nephew - This is easily one of the best stories in the series. It lacks the strong connection to the rest of the series as it was meant to be a prequel, an explanation of the origins of Narnia. Because of this, however, it is really the only story here that can stand on its own. It's a simple story with a complete cycle, but it still holds all the magic that makes Narnia special.

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe - This is the story everyone familiar with Narnia knows and for good reason. It was the first glimpse at the characters and into the world that would become a classic. There are so many wonderfully drawn scenes here, but the one that always stands out to me is the light post in the snowy forest. I love this image. This, to me, is the image of Narnia.

A Horse and His Boy - Uggghh. Terrible. After writing the first four books in the Narnia series, C.S. Lewis went back and filled in the time between his original two stories with this gem. Is there anyone who's happy about this? Not only does the story seem alien to the Narnian story, it is horribly offensive with its blatantly obvious “Jesus is good, Allah is bad” routine. He could've at least tried to mask his obvious disdain.

Prince Caspian - Chapters upon chapters of backstory. Not much really happens here except a huge battle at the end. Now if you've watched the 2008 film, you may disagree. That's because they took the skeleton of this book, added considerable flesh to it, and actually made it into a decent story. While not the worst story in the series, it is the most disappointing.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - ...Dawn Treader is really the last good moment of this series. Even though the scope is limited and out of place to the Narnia the reader has come to expect, it has enough excitement and character building to sustain itself. The final moments in this novel really should have been the conclusion to the series. There are moments sprinkled throughout the following two books that are strong, but overall they lack to bring this series to a satisfying conclusion.

The Silver Chair - A decent story with some wonderful moments, but overall the action and story were a little dry. There's a darkness to The Silver Chair (much of the story takes place underground), that makes the magic seem less impressive and certainly less breathtaking.

The Last Battle - And it all ends here. Aslan is mad with the world. The battle between Christian and Muslim comes to a fart of a battle. Girls who are interested in makeup are not invited to the after world. And it all comes to a fiery end. It seems C.S. Lewis may have intended an epic ending, but it felt more like one big “piss off” to me.

Overall, this is how I'd rank the stories:
The Good (4 Stars)

The Silver Chair

The Bad (2 Stars)
The Final Battle
Prince Caspian

And The Horribly Ugly (1 Star)
A Horse and His Boy
  chrisblocker | May 5, 2017 |
Katie and Josh
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
I will look forward to more because of my appreciation for this book and it's author. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
The greatest addition to the imperishable deposit of children's literature since the Jungle Books. Narnia takes its place forever now beside the jasper-lucent landscapes of Carroll, Andersen, MacDonald and Kipling.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baynes, Paulinepictures adapted from illustrations bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bovenkamp-Gordeau, Madeleine van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Branagh, KennethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Kilmer family.
There is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child. (From The Magician's Nephew, first in chronological order)
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. (From The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, first in publication order)
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Contents: Magician's nephew -- Lion, the witch and the wardrobe -- Horse and his boy -- Prince Caspian -- Voyage of the Dawn Treader -- Silver chair -- Last battle.

Collection includes all seven unabridged novels in the series.

The edition with the ISBN 1856058387, while titled simply The Chronicles of Narnia, is actually only a 3-volume omnibus and should not be combined onto this page.
Four siblings travel to a new world through a wardrobe in an old house. The encounter a witch, a lion named Aslan and many other magical creatures. Narnia, due to the evil witch, has been in a continuous state of winter. Along with Aslan the children must work together to fulfill a prophecy and bring peace and prosperity to the land.

It was this book that first introduced to me the word "allegory". It's what I refer to every time I try to explain it to someone. Also who doesn't want to find a magical world hidden in their closet?
The Chronicles of Narnia is a series of seven fantasy novels for children written by C. S. Lewis. It is considered a classic of children's literature and is the author's best-known work, having sold over 120 million copies in 41 languages. Written by Lewis between 1949 and 1954, The Chronicles of Narnia have been adapted several times, complete or in part, for radio, television, stage, and cinema. In addition to numerous traditional Christian themes, the series borrows characters and ideas from Greek and Roman mythology, as well as from traditional British and Irish fairy tales.

The Chronicles of Narnia present the adventures of children who play central roles in the unfolding history of the fictional realm of Narnia, a place where animals talk, magic is common, and good battles evil. Each of the books (with the exception of The Horse and His Boy) features as its protagonists children from our world who are magically transported to Narnia, where they are called upon to help the Lion Aslan handle a crisis in the world of Narnia.
Seven children's tales
underpinned by magic, myth
and theology.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0066238501, Paperback)

Narnia is the land of enchantment, glory, nobility--home to the magnificent Aslan, cruel Jadis (the White Queen), heroic Reepicheep, and kind Mr. Tumnus. All the magic of C.S. Lewis's Narnia, bewitching readers for almost 50 years, is captured for the first time in this splendid deluxe edition, including The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and The Last Battle, with fabulous illustrations hand-colored by the original Narnia artist Pauline Baynes and an insightful introduction by Narnia authority Brian Sibley.

Lewis's work has cast a spell over countless readers over the years, so that once we pick up The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we don't want to stop until we've read the whole series. The Complete Chronicles makes it even easier to keep reading! The seven beloved stories have been arranged in the chronological order in which Lewis intended them to be read. Begin at the beginning, as Digory and Polly are tricked into a strange other world, which becomes, even as they watch, the great Narnia. Return again and again with four other children--Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy--who are to play such a vital role in Narnia's history. Finally, enter the whimsical land one last time to witness the end of Time, and the beginning of something new: "world within world, Narnia within Narnia." This gorgeous volume is absolutely a must-have for current and future Narnia lovers. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

Journeys to the end of the world, fantastic creatures, and epic battles between good and evil -- what more could any reader ask for in one book? The book that has it all is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, written in 1949 by Clive Staples Lewis. But Lewis did not stop there. Six more books followed, and together they became known as The Chronicles of Narnia. For the past fifty years, The Chronicles of Narnia have transcended the fantasy genre to become part of the canon of classic literature. Each of the seven books is a masterpiece, drawing the reader into a land where magic meets reality, and the result is a fictional world whose scope has fascinated generations. This edition presents all seven books -- unabridged -- in one impressive volume. The books are presented here according to Lewis' preferred order, each chapter graced with an illustration by the original artist, Pauline Baynes. Deceptively simple and direct, The Chronicles of Narnia continue to captivate fans with adventures, characters, and truths that speak to readers of all ages, even fifty years after they were first published.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969052, 0061721085

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible