Stand Back, Said the Elephant, I'm…

"Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"

by Patricia Thomas

Other authors: Wallace Tripp (Illustrator)

I absolutely loved this book. I thought it was very humorous. After all, my favorite books are comedies. I loved how the author made it rhyme because it was more enjoyable for me to read. I definitely want this book in my classroom library! ( )
  avidrine | Feb 27, 2014 |
I first read “Stand Back,” Said the Elephant, “I’m Going to Sneeze!” when my children were little, and now all these years later, it still brings a chuckle or two. The story is written in rhyme with lots of humor by Patricia Thomas, and Wallace Tripp’s artwork is charming. If you can get your hands on a copy of this delightful picture story book, it would be a perfect gift for the young ones in your life.
All of the animals panic when the elephant says he going to sneeze.
“Beware, beware,”
Called the bees to the bear.
“The elephant says he’s going to sneeze.”
“Oh, please,
Not a sneeze,”
“That’s not fair.
I declare,
The last time he sneezed he blew off all my hair,
And left me so bare
I spent the whole winter in long underwear –

I love children’s books, but this is undeniably one of my favorite. I give it 5 stars. ( )
  Macjam47 | Dec 20, 2013 |
This wonderful piece of rhyming verse is reminiscent of Dr. Suess in its short phrasing and rhyming text. Wonderful fun to read aloud as the animals' reactions to coming sneeze are quite comical. Good book. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
"Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!" by Patricia Thomas is a doozy of a title. But it gets to the heart of this silly rhyming story. An elephant is having a bad case of sneezes and they are causing no end of trouble for the other animals.

The winning element for me on this story is the artwork. The illustrations are just the right combination of realistic and ridiculous. Take for instance the very surprised zebra watching his black stripes fly in all directions or the birds having their feathers blown off.

The book was first published in 1971 and reissued in 1990. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 3, 2013 |
My daughter absolutely loved this book! She giggled and laughed out loud at this story no matter how many times we read it. My daughter is now 27 years old and this, she says, was her all time favorite book. ( )
  evasmom | Dec 8, 2010 |

Thomas, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tripp, WallaceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Stand back," said the elephant, "I'm going to sneeze!"

All the animals are in a panic. The elephant's sneeze would blow the monkeys out of the trees, the feathers off the birds, the stripes off the zebra. Even the fish and the fly, the crocodile and the kangaroo, know what a catastrophe that sneeze would be. "Please don't sneeze!" they beg. . . .

The classic story of an enormous sneeze in the marking, told in sprightly nonsense verse, has been newly illustrated in full color to delight a new generation of fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:58 -0400)

Knowing the havoc it will cause, all the animals try to prevent the elephant from sneezing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible