Terry Jones' Medieval Lives by Terry…

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives (edition 2005)

by Terry Jones

Member:mrund
Title:Terry Jones' Medieval Lives
Authors:Terry Jones
Info:BBC Books (2005), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:history, medieval

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives by Terry Jones

I focused on the medieval period when I was getting my Master's degree, reading many of the primary sources (Domesday Book, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, etc.), but none of it gave me the high-level view of what the period was like - I was smothered in particularity. Terry Jones' book, however, provides that general view that I was missing. It does cover some details, often of a humorous incident, but it really concentrates on exposing the underlying economic, political and religious motives and events behind the myths of chivalry and knights and daring-do, all while providing a good look at what the lives of the common man and woman were like. Highly recommended. ( )
  TempleCat | Sep 25, 2015 |
Too much anecdata, too much opinion presented as fact, without backup, and too many weak jokes shoehorned in. Meh. ( )
  sloopjonb | Apr 23, 2015 |
It was alright, just alright. I expected it to be a much easier read to be honest. I viewed the programme on this book prior to reading it, and I'm very glad I did. The show was far better than the book. It felt too choppy. ( )
  TheInvernessie | Nov 26, 2013 |
Monty Python's Terry Jones is not just funny--- he's actually smart too! ;)

Terry Jones and Alan Ereira do a great job of presenting "Medieval Lives" in layman’s terms while at the same time being informative and entertaining. Each chapter is broken down by a particular social order, whose viewpoint offers crucial insights into life during the Medieval period.

It is informative and funny, a perfect way to impart information to a 21st century audience! It is perfect for actual historians or even just fans of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', myself falling under both categories, I would lean more towards people who have an affinity toward the time period. It is history with a fun twist! ( )
  Shuffy2 | Apr 15, 2012 |
I've seen the Medieval Lives TV series and this is just as good, though each contains information not found in the other. This is serious history, but Terry Jones, being Terry Jones, is able to insert plenty of humor. Highly recommended for high school and college classrooms, and for anyone interested in medieval history. ( )
  meggyweg | Dec 18, 2011 |

Terry Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ereira, Alansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has as a reference guide/companion

Famous for lampooning the medieval world in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Terry Jones has a real passion for and detailed knowledge of the Middle Ages. In Terry Jones' Medieval Lives, his mission is to rescue the Middle Ages from moth-eaten cliches and well-worn platitudes. Behind the stereotypes of "damsels in distress" and "knights in shining armor," there are wonderfully human stories that bring the period to life. Terry will start with the medieval archetypes—the Knight, Peasant, Damsel, Monk, Outlaw, King, Merchant, and Physician—and in the course of unravelling their role and function will introduce a host of colorful real-life characters, recreating their world by visiting key locations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:07 -0400)

Terry Jones and Alan Ereira are your guides to this most misrepresented and misunderstood period, and they point you to things that will surprise and provoke.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,787,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible