The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of…

The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America

by Eric Idle

An edited and improved version of a blog for his website in the mid 2000s, while on the road on a tour of North America and Canada. I read it expecting to be amused - and was; I didn't expect to be moved quite so much. Written in his early 60s, he was clearly besotted with his wife, absolutely doted on his young daughter, who he missed a lot and enjoyed being a stand up comedian for the first time and playing in front of an audience with his small group of performers.

Many descriptions of traveling, the towns and cities he played but quite often his blog would meander off into other areas. Some (having a good time with a famous friend) seemed a bit like name dropping and "whoo look at me with my famous mates" but he writes movingly and in detail about his friendship with George Harrison (a real bromance, if ever there was one), when Harrison and his wife were nearly killed in a break in at home by a madman, his death, and how he has grown tired of losing friends. Perhaps most movingly was the ending, when he writes of being back home, the delight of his daughter waking up to find him there and how happy he was to be home with family and dogs.

It's the kind of book you can pick up and read anytime; the chapters are generally short, relating to each tour date. As a bonus there's also a chapter at the end on the genesis of Spamalot - how it came about, the response from the other Pythons, etc.

Idle (unsurprisingly) writes very well, despite by his own admission never having been able to keep a diary for long. I was fortunate to pick this up for very little in a charity bookshop in 2018 but I think I'd have been more than happy to buy when it came out in 2005, if I'd known of its existence back then. ( )
1 vote Flip_Martian | Jun 4, 2018 |
If you're looking for the backstory of the creative process of the tv show and the movies, this isn't the book. This is Eric's road trip book and along the way, you get a look at his early life and several of his great friendships. It's a good read if you're already somewhat familiar with the Python scene.
  Rebalioness | Apr 5, 2009 |
I haven't seen much Monty Python, but that didn't prevent me from loving The Greedy Bastard Diary. Eric Idle is hilarious, whether he's describing time on the tour bus or a wonderful weekend with George Harrison. Idle eloquently and memorably describes cities throughout the U.S. and Canada, and you get a real sense of the local flavor. Reading this book makes me sad that I missed this tour -- from the quotes and songs interspersed here and there, it sounds like a winner. A great read for Python fans, or those that like a good joke. ( )
  verbafacio | Oct 2, 2007 |
Very funny book, with lots of inside info on
Monty Python and the Beatles. ( )
  masgatos | Oct 23, 2006 |
I'm eating dim sum with my friend Danny the guitar maker. (Preface)
As I leave home, the tears in my daughter's eyes remind me that this adventure comes with some real costs, and that I stayed home for the first thirteen years of her life for a very good reason.

The man who brought you the anthems "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" and "Sit on My Face and Tell Me That You Love Me" shows his naughty bits -- and so much more

A stunningly witty exploration of the American landscape -- not to mention a brilliant comic's mind -- this diary is chock-full of everything you ever wanted to know about Eric Idle, Monty Python, America, and sleeping on a bus. In these pages the sixth-nicest Python is cheeky, touching and funny when recounting the riotous tales of his beginnings, his school days in a Dickensian academy for boys, and his affectionate reminiscences of fellow Pythons, traveling the world, as well as his longtime friend, George Harrison.

Astonishing, moving, at times even amusing, this chronicle of Idle's road trip during his Greedy Bastard Tour will improve your sex life dramatically. After only a few pages you will begin to feel intelligent, charming, and clever, then aroused, then funny. And after a few chapters whatever personal or health problems you are experiencing will immediately vanish. So come experience 80 days, 15,750 miles, and 49 cities as you never have before!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:15 -0400)

A witty exploration of the American landscape--not to mention a brilliant comic's mind--this diary is chock-full of everything you ever wanted to know about Eric Idle, Monty Python, America, and sleeping on a bus. Idle is cheeky, touching and funny when recounting the riotous tales of his beginnings, his school days in a Dickensian academy for boys, and his affectionate reminiscences of fellow Pythons, traveling the world, as well as his longtime friend, George Harrison.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,022,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible