The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a…

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup,… (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Kate Dicamillo

Member:shinigami
Title:The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread (Newbery Medal Book)
Authors:Kate Dicamillo
Info:Candlewick (2003), Edition: Library Binding, Hardcover
Collections:Storage, Your library
Tags:children's book, illustrated, from mom, box: 2

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo (2003)

English (482)  German (2)  All languages (484)
This book tells the story of a mouse who goes against his entire community to save a princess from a servant and her rat. This is an easy read and would be a great book to teach many different literary devices. ( )
  efairman4 | Mar 17, 2019 |
This story is a sweet tale about a little mouse named Despereaux and how he goes against his mouse community to save a young princess from a servant and her rat. The story is very well written and easy to read for students who enjoy a fairy-tale or fantasy book. The author is very involved with the readers and some times write in second person to point out and foreshadow important things to the reader. Many literacy devices can be taught using this book. Rated 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  victoriaphillips | Mar 17, 2019 |
This book is split into four sections, each which helps us to learn about a different character in the book. This book is about a mouse and his journey to save the princess from a rat and a servant girl. This book can be used in the classroom to dive into the fairy-tale/fantasy genre and help children to think about how they could write something that is intertwined. It could also be used to dive into the question of what would the children have done if Roscuro would have fallen in their soup? Did the queen overreact? Do you think Roscuro was just misunderstood? Because of all of this and the fact that I very much so enjoyed the story I gave this book 4 stars. ( )
  sgg014 | Mar 17, 2019 |
I loved the book The Tale of Despereaux. I thought it was interesting how the author wrote some parts in the second person to get the reader involved. For example, “Imagine, if you will, having spent the whole of your life in a dungeon.” I really liked the uplifting themes of hope, love, family, and light. One of my favorite quotes from the book is: “And hope is like love…a ridiculous, wonderful, powerful thing.” In terms of family, it was interesting to see the different family dynamics among the characters. Some of them had unfortunate situations with their family such as being abandoned, betrayed, or sold, but I think those situations were portrayed in a believable way. Also, each character that experienced an unfortunate situation with their family rose above their problems because of their own hope and beliefs. I liked seeing each of the characters develop, which led me to believe that one of the main big ideas of the story is to believe in yourself because you are stronger than others may think. This big idea was portrayed when Despereaux saved the princess and when he ran into trouble with Roscuro, he fiercely threatened “Don’t move… I will kill you.” His mouse family would have never believed he would be such a hero, but Despereaux believed in himself and was driven by love to save what he valued. ( )
  LydiaSambuco | Mar 10, 2019 |
I thought this book was amazing, it was such a powerful message and story. I think that Despereaux's character was so powerful and inspiring. Even though this story was told with mice and rats and humans that talk to those rats and mice, it was still a really good story. It taught so many messages about friends, family, and forgiveness. In the story it says, "Forgiveness, reader, is, I think, something very much like hope and love- a powerful, wonderful thing. And a ridiculous thing, too." I think that the big picture is to always have forgiveness in your heart, but it could also be to create your own path and don't feel like you have to do what everyone else is doing. I would recommend this book to anyone, it's an easy read but it's so powerful and you finish it thinking differently about things. I genuinely enjoyed this book. ( )
  HopeFerguson | Mar 8, 2019 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ering, Timothy B.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ering, Timothy BasilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The world is dark, and light is precious. Come closer, dear reader. You must trust me. I am telling you a story.
For Luke, who asked for the story of an unlikely hero
This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse.
There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman.
Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.

Despereaux is a
small mouse with big ears and the
heart of a lion.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763625299, Paperback)

Kate DiCamillo, author of the Newbery Honor book Because of Winn-Dixie, spins a tidy tale of mice and men where she explores the "powerful, wonderful, and ridiculous" nature of love, hope, and forgiveness. Her old-fashioned, somewhat dark story, narrated "Dear Reader"-style, begins "within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse." Despereaux Tilling, the new baby mouse, is different from all other mice. Sadly, the romantic, unmouselike spirit that leads the unusually tiny, large-eared mouse to the foot of the human king and the beautiful Princess Pea ultimately causes him to be banished by his own father to the foul, rat-filled dungeon.

The first book of four tells Despereaux's sad story, where he falls deeply in love with Princess Pea and meets his cruel fate. The second book introduces another creature who differs from his peers--Chiaroscuro, a rat who instead of loving the darkness of his home in the dungeon, loves the light so much he ends up in the castle& in the queen's soup. The third book describes young Miggery Sow, a girl who has been "clouted" so many times that she has cauliflower ears. Still, all the slow-witted, hard-of-hearing Mig dreams of is wearing the crown of Princess Pea. The fourth book returns to the dungeon-bound Despereaux and connects the lives of mouse, rat, girl, and princess in a dramatic denouement.

Children whose hopes and dreams burn secretly within their hearts will relate to this cast of outsiders who desire what is said to be out of their reach and dare to break "never-to-be-broken rules of conduct." Timothy Basil Ering's pencil illustrations are stunning, reflecting DiCamillo's extensive light and darkness imagery as well as the sweet, fragile nature of the tiny mouse hero who lives happily ever after. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

The adventures of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625299, 0763617229, 0763629286

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,420,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible