The Tale of the Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

The Tale of the Despereaux (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Kate DiCamillo, Timothy Basil Ering (Illustrator)

8,208428382 (4.1)207
Member:aprilrose09
Title:The Tale of the Despereaux
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Other authors:Timothy Basil Ering (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (2006), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 267 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, YA

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo (2003)

English (425)  German (2)  All (427)
Big adventures can sometimes come from small protagonists. This newberry winning chapter book follows a mouse whose name is Despereaux Tilling through his adventure to save a princess from an evil group of rats. This book is good for upper level elementary students due to its length and the fact that its a chapter book. ( )
  AshlynWilliams | Mar 19, 2017 |
A mouse? In love with a princess? How can this be? Despereaux has been a little different since the day he was born. What other mouse was born with their eyes open? Although Despereaux isn't great at being a typical mouse, he is great in his own way. Despereaux is sent down to the dungeon for letting the Princess Pea touch him and speaking to the King. Despite being sent to his death, he makes it out alive only to find out that his love the Princess Pea has been taken down to the dungeon by an evil rat and a maid who just wants to be a princess. What is a mouse to do? Despereaux goes back into the dungeon to find the princess! This story tells us that courage and honor aren't only meant for the large.
  mercedeslillian | Mar 19, 2017 |
Fantasy/ Science Fiction Novel ( )
  Miriahharrison | Mar 12, 2017 |
The main idea in this book was even someone small or different can dream big and achieve anything. There was so much bravery throughout the book and hopeful scenes that keep the reader engaged in the story. In this story, I loved the characters. Despereaux is an inspiration to all people, even though he might not be looked at that way in the book. He is strong and brave and never gave up on his dream, which he achieves at the end of the story. I feel that many students could relate to Despereaux, because he is an outcast. He holds himself high even though others look down on him, which I feel is an important lesson all students should feel they could do. Another character I enjoyed was Roscuro. He was a representation of the evil in the story, but we got to see why he was so evil. We got the before he was that way information which made it easy for the reader to see why he was so evil. Something about the book that I liked was that even though it was a chapter book, there were pictures so that the reader could depict what the characters and the scenes looked like. I liked reading the book while having the illustrations because I feel it helped me connect with the characters more seeing their reactions and their physical features. For example on page 80 we get to see Gregory holding Despereaux while he Despereaux tell’s him a story. We get to Gregory’s reaction which is him grinning and laughing at Despereaux’s nervous response. Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot. Even though I am not a huge fantasy fan, I thought this book would be great for students to read and I think they would truly enjoy it. ( )
  liannarossi | Mar 6, 2017 |
I had mixed feelings about the book after reading it. I liked the book because all the characters in the book had flaws. In chapter 41, the Tears of the King, it explained that the king made some mistakes. It says, “The king as I have already mentioned had several faults. He was near sighted. He made difficult, ridiculous, unreasonable, difficult-to-enforce laws... But there was one extraordinary, wonderful, admirable thing about the king. He was a man who was able and willing to love with the whole of his heart” (Page 211). Just by seeing characters like Despereaux, the princess, and Mig have good and bad qualities, it makes the story even more human. That is why the theme of redemption fits so well in the story. It is about people redeeming from their mistakes. No one person is all bad or all good. I did not like the fact that there were so many flash backs. In the beginning of the story, it talks about how Despereaux was born and how he fell in love with Princess Pea. Then, the book goes into the past before Despereaux was even born to talk about the antagonist, Roscuro. You did not get back to the main characters’ story until the end of the book. For example, in the end of book one, it says, “It is time to turn our attention elsewhere, time for us reader to speak of rats, and one rat in particular. Why did we not start with Roscuro in the beginning of the story? It would have made the plot less confusing. ( )
  ShelbyPlitt | Mar 5, 2017 |

This funny, original story brings four different strands into a narrative whole, with well-developed fairytale characters. There's Despereaux, the heroic young mouse who would rather read books than gnaw them; Chiaroscuro, a rat living in a dark dungeon, who aspires to a life filled with light; Miggery Sow, a serving girl who longs to be a princess; and, of course, the princess herself, who looks and acts just like the princesses in Despereaux's beloved book of fairytales.

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ering, Timothy BasilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The world is dark, and light is precious. Come closer, dear reader. You must trust me. I am telling you a story.
For Luke, who asked for the story of an unlikely hero
This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse.
There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman.
Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.

I enjoyed the book. I think it would be a good book to read with young children ages 9 and up. The story skips around a lot. Children may benefit from keeping a timeline of events as they read the story, and they will see how it all comes together. I think the idea of forgiveness is major theme of the book, and can be used to help children connect with the concept of forgiveness and what that means to them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763625299, Paperback)

Kate DiCamillo, author of the Newbery Honor book Because of Winn-Dixie, spins a tidy tale of mice and men where she explores the "powerful, wonderful, and ridiculous" nature of love, hope, and forgiveness. Her old-fashioned, somewhat dark story, narrated "Dear Reader"-style, begins "within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse." Despereaux Tilling, the new baby mouse, is different from all other mice. Sadly, the romantic, unmouselike spirit that leads the unusually tiny, large-eared mouse to the foot of the human king and the beautiful Princess Pea ultimately causes him to be banished by his own father to the foul, rat-filled dungeon.

The first book of four tells Despereaux's sad story, where he falls deeply in love with Princess Pea and meets his cruel fate. The second book introduces another creature who differs from his peers--Chiaroscuro, a rat who instead of loving the darkness of his home in the dungeon, loves the light so much he ends up in the castle& in the queen's soup. The third book describes young Miggery Sow, a girl who has been "clouted" so many times that she has cauliflower ears. Still, all the slow-witted, hard-of-hearing Mig dreams of is wearing the crown of Princess Pea. The fourth book returns to the dungeon-bound Despereaux and connects the lives of mouse, rat, girl, and princess in a dramatic denouement.

Children whose hopes and dreams burn secretly within their hearts will relate to this cast of outsiders who desire what is said to be out of their reach and dare to break "never-to-be-broken rules of conduct." Timothy Basil Ering's pencil illustrations are stunning, reflecting DiCamillo's extensive light and darkness imagery as well as the sweet, fragile nature of the tiny mouse hero who lives happily ever after. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

The adventures of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625299, 0763617229, 0763629286

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,207,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible